Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer including mobile charger bundle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Referring back to the 'Motor Vehicle Agreement' we all received from Tesla when we placed our order, it says in part ... "If Your Vehicle is new, it is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative." [page 2 - "Agreement to Purchase" section]

So, '... configured based on features and options available at the time of order...'. I would argue that when I placed my order in February for a M3 the Mobile Connector would be supplied as standard as part of the purchase price. Tesla's website here ... Mobile Connector ... says (as of April 18, 2022) "The Mobile Connector is included as standard equipment with a new Tesla.".

I wonder if this is just Tesla "testing the waters" to gauge reaction from their current and future customers to the question of removing the UMC as a standard item. I for one hope they see the error in this decision and trust they honour the agreement I have with Tesla to supply the vehicle as ordered.

I'd say they expect people to buy a HPWC and use that for the bulk of charging, with backup Supercharging.
Probably so - that's certainly what Elon is saying. The trouble is (for me anyway) that was a significantly more expensive solution. The Gen3 HPWC sells for $780 and I was quoted $900 to connect it to 3-Phase power. Instead, I got a 3-Phase 5 pin socket installed in my garage which cost about the same ($900), and bought a 5 pin tail for the UMC for $150. Saved myself over $600, and that setup meets all of my charging needs, unless I go on a road trip when I'll use the Supercharge network.

How do they expect you to charge your car?
Your choice. Everyone's charging will be different.
1. Solely public charging
2. Buy a mobile connector
3. Buy a wall connector

And meantime they don't have to put the price up.

I received both a UMC and HPWC with my car 18 months ago and haven't used either.

I have used a Type2-2 cable that I bought separately many times.

Reactions: paulp
Controversial opinion, at some stage this makes sense. It’s the equivalent to carrying a Jerry can around, only needed for some usage cases and rare occasions. However doing it now is too early given the state of installed private and public charging infrastructure.
I consider a charger in my garage a piece of infrastructure like the other wires in my house, the plumbing or appliances, but I own where I live and understand many don’t and that changes the logic around this. Making the UMC a configurable option I think is probably the best way forward as it helps to lower the price so cars have a better chance of qualifying for government support whilst allowing those that need it to include it in their order.
Moving forward, that is fine. I already ordered, and paid an electrician to wire a 14-50 on a dedicated breaker on my board In my garage. I figured we might end up owning an EV from another manufacturer, so I should have a charging option that is less proprietary. And I don’t need the faster charging nightly for my driving. I am still unclear if my order, placed November 10, will include the standard equipment that was stated would be included. Hoping very much it will. I can see the change for new orders, I guess.

I did purchase knowing there is no lumbar support in the passenger seat and that I will need to take action to fix that for when my wife and I road trip and she drives. I rely on lumbar support with a formerly blown disc. But if that had been changed on me after I ordered, I would have been pissed.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
The UMC is the ultimate back-stop for charging your car. There are millions of power points in Australia you could charge your car from using a UMC, however it takes a HUGE amount of time so really only over-night. To avoid that outcome, most EV owners plan ahead, pace their trips and plan their charging. The problem is that most people with EVs charge their cars at home, and the UMC works fine for that overnight. You *can* use the UMC to charge at home but you probably should get a dedicated wall charger of some kind: Tesla's or a different brand. Problem I have here is that we're far from ubiquitous EV charging points globally.

When you buy a house it doesn't come with a EV charging point (yet). So if you want to honestly push adoption, as an EV manufacturer you should provide something - and Tesla did in the beginning - their wall charger (HWPC). Then they stopping bundling it with new cards and said, the UMC is fine. Now they're saying, you want a Tesla, you pay extra for a UMC if you want that.

There's no doubt it's a minimum requirement because EV charge points in households are not yet ubiquitous. Tesla are simply cheaping out because they can. Just like Apple stopped including their charging pucks with their iPhones a few years back. It's shameful, but that won't dissuade them unfortunately. I've honestly been wondering how long it would take before they did this. Turns out, it happened sooner than I thought it would.

It was fun while it lasted I guess.

The outrage over this is wasted, this is a non-issue as long as you can buy the mobile charger with the car and it’s not out of stock.
It can save people some money that don’t need them.
I agree, there's no word that this will occur in Australia any time soon and even so those that have ordered a car will certainly get a complimentary UMC as per usual.

Yeesh. Will be interesting to see if this affects old orders, and in Australia too.
(1) Yes, we don't know if those ordered before April 2022 still receive what promised to be included? if not then that's bad business decision by Tesla BUT Tesla probably does NOT care until there are more competition from Lexus and Genesis
(2) It's reported by new Tesla owner that new 3 and Y cars now come with Lithium-iron battery which is supposed to last the life of the car? Hopefully it's a norm now
(3) No one knows of 4680 battery except it's reportedly installed in Y standard which has only 271 miles capacity?

More questions than answers

The outrage over this is wasted, this is a non-issue as long as you can buy the mobile charger with the car and it’s not out of stock.
It can save people some money that don’t need them.

I'd have to agree somewhat, although I'd never drive my car without a UMC in it. Sod's/Murphy's law applies here, the odd time you need to use it will be the time you don't have it, same as with a Type-2 to Type-2. Tesla is in a position that it can charge whatever it likes. And TBH, I'd rather them continue to kill it profit wise as it helps the whole cause.

Reactions: Vostok
I agree, there's no word that this will occur in Australia any time soon and even so those that have ordered a car will certainly get a complimentary UMC as per usual.
As long as current orders on the books will still receive the charger that was listed as part of the equipment being paid for at that price, and the change is for new orders, ok. I may not agree, but I can see the reasoning, . . . For new orders. And sorry, I am a States guy, and wandered in here by mistake trying to look for threads confirming whether or not this change affected current orders.

Reactions: aerodyne
When I bought my Zoe in 2018, it only had AC charging and came with a 22kW Type 2 cable and NO portable EVSE! Even though a portable EVSE was supplied "free" in the UK and all over Europe. This did not particularly bother me (methinks it was a cost reducing tactic by Renault). Nowadays, I am very happy to have the Type 2 cable which gets used a lot on both Zoe and Tesla.

I can understand that the deletion of an EVSE as a standard item (that was previously included) is angst inducing and hopefully any included on orders will be delivered but in the bigger scheme of things it really is not a big deal. If the price gets reduced for Tesla owners then that would be a good bonus.

Nowadays I own FOUR EVSEs! The UMC is permanently in the car and very much a last resort backup option, just like the jack and tyre plug kit.

Reactions: OliverM3 and moa999
I for one hope they see the error in this decision and trust they honour the agreement I have with Tesla to supply the vehicle as ordered.

Can people please stop angsting over this. Cars ordered in Australia will come with UMC included as stated by Tesla at the time the car was ordered, and it will remain that way until if/when order page here says the UMC is no longer included - and then any car ordered from that day forward will not come with the UMC unless the buyer adds it on as an extra. It will not affect cars ordered prior to the date that change is made.