Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 575979 I got a surprise text message from Tesla service saying my car was ready to be picked up this afternoon. The bill was $490 and change as promised. I have attached a screenshot from the invoice to this post.

I asked my SA how long the warranty would be for this repair and he seemed to think it was one year unlimited miles. If this has an upgraded chip on it hopefully it will last several years.

Controls of the MCU do seem more snappy. Noticed I have AM radio as I was going through the controls. Don’t remember having AM radio? Anyway so glad to be back in the Model S.

Here's the cost estimate for preventive Tegra replacement (without diagnostics fee).

View attachment 579566

Interesting the labor cost went up $22 when its preventative.

Came in under $500 incl. parts, installation and tax. No diagnostic charge since I specified exactly which part I wanted installed (the Tegra board).
They were supposed to do an LTE upgrade at the same time for $600 or so extra but they somehow missed it on the service order, so it'll be another time.
Which is total BS because they already have the MCU out and they still charge the same amount for labor even if they already have the MCU out for another repair. That blows my mind.

I asked to get my old board back, but was told it "wasn't possible", supposedly they are returned to Tesla.
Possibly for failure analysis? (eMMC replacement would probably cost more than new production, but maybe they refurb them?).
Aren't there rules that requires them to return older parts back to the Owner? or state that they are taking it back (core-fee refund type line item?)

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
So, you are probably the best person to confirm or help make sense out of my question. You got both the LTE upgrade and the replaced Tegra board at the same time. The cost was $750, but they reduced or discounted the cost by $100 to $650. Do you suppose, - maybe they also told you, - this was for labor because they did both LTE and Tegra at the same time? I only this is because others want to do the Tegra board instead of MCU1, but they need to do the LTE also. So, maybe this will help those folks that have the same situation and are wondering what the cost of both Tegra and LTE board would be installed.
Yes. That is correct. It seems the $100 discount I got is off the labor cost
upload_2020-8-24_7-6-26.png

Reactions: Akikiki
Daughterboard replaced successfully, but somehow ended up with a HV battery fault afterwards while still in service. I’m short on details, but I suspect the battery drained to a very low SOC while waiting for the board to arrive. Awaiting a replacement now. I’ll go check out the battery threads - hopefully I don’t get a refurb unit with a bunch of degradation.

Aren't there rules that requires them to return older parts back to the Owner? or state that they are taking it back (core-fee refund type line item?)
If its in warranty they can keep it. If out of warranty you own the old part and they have to let you keep it if you ask before they do the work. Document your request to keep it. They can charge a core fee but the unit price $120 means it will be cheap.