Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my daughterboard replaced last Friday ($214 labor and $120 in parts 2728212-S0-B) and since then I have noticed two odd issues...

1) Almost every time I enter the car, the IC is black and takes ~10 to 15 seconds to come alive. I don't remember it acting this way before, seemed to come on almost immediately after opening the door.

2) After I reset our driver profiles, HomeLink, wifi, etc, I am unable to remotely trigger HomeLink via the Tesla app. When I try, it gives the error "there are no HomeLink-enabled garage doors near your vehicle" and this happens when I am parked in the garage :confused:

Anyone else experiencing these issues, post daughterboard replacement?

My unaltered Mcu1 system has had the IC screen take 10-30sec for quite a while.

did you reprogram the HomeLink and set the HOA position?

2) After I reset our driver profiles, HomeLink, wifi, etc, I am unable to remotely trigger HomeLink via the Tesla app. When I try, it gives the error "there are no HomeLink-enabled garage doors near your vehicle" and this happens when I am parked in the garage :confused:

Did you go into the summon configuration and select the default HomeLink garage door? (That is the one you can trigger remotely.)

• Informative
Reactions: SUM-EV
1) Almost every time I enter the car, the IC is black and takes ~10 to 15 seconds to come alive. I don't remember it acting this way before, seemed to come on almost immediately after opening the door.
Normal since software update a while ago, Tesla puts the IC to sleep more than before - perhaps attempting to prolong its lifespan. I did notice that this happens a lot more often late at night and after the car has been parked for a long time.

Check whether your summon is enabled (resetting drive profiles might disable it). It needs to be to use HomeLink via the Tesla app.

EDIT: I have the original daughterboard but with new emmc chip which I replaced and cloned personally and did not even expand the storage beyond the 8GB, so as far as Tesla is concerned it looks like an original with a faster chip which didn't age.

I had my daughterboard replaced last Friday ($214 labor and $120 in parts 2728212-S0-B) and since then I have noticed two odd issues...

Anyone else experiencing these issues, post daughterboard replacement?

Is you car with power liftgate or manual?
As others have stated your first concern is not related to the eMMC board change as this started to occur some time ago already.

Did you go into the summon configuration and select the default HomeLink garage door? (That is the one you can trigger remotely.)

Ah, I must have missed that when resetting profiles, etc. It's been a while since I set those up... Thanks, it works now!!

Normal since software update a while ago, Tesla puts the IC to sleep more than before - perhaps attempting to prolong its lifespan. I did notice that this happens a lot more often late at night and after the car has been parked for a long time.

That would explain it. I noticed it taking longer to load prior to my daughterboard being replaced (even noted the issue in my service request) and I assumed it was associated with the eMMC failing.

Is you car with power liftgate or manual?
As others have stated your first concern is not related to the eMMC board change as this started to occur some time ago already.

I have the power liftgate.

I don't often go online but this one I have to share my experiences regarding this frustrating faulty eMMC issue, with our much loved MS/MX's and not so much loved MCU1 units.

To summed up short. I made the appointment with the nearby SC and took my MS in yesterday 11-04-2020. The service representative acknowledged the black screen of death and before he can charge me for the daughterboard replacement cost, I showed my frustrations toward a wide range of failures for all of the rest of the owners (semi raise-hell) but not offended anyone in the office. I demanded a complete free/waiver of the replacement cost. He checked my serviced histories and then replied "yes, let see what I can do, I think I can ask my manager to approve this change with zero cost; I think I can do this for you!" Music to my ears! Although it wasn't 100% sure while I was at the SC. I left and got home around 30 minutes later, and I got a text from the service representative "I got it approved!".

Model S 2016 Facelift-Timeline (shorten for eMMC issue only):

-First 3.5 years of operations, twice the center screen gone black, but were able to rebooted with scroll-wheels.

-3 months before its 4th birthday, it went black, reported via App, virtual repair via OTA brought it back to life. The engineer advised me to "reset the Trip A/B frequently as it doesn't just counting numbers..." He explained to me memories are being bumped with new autopilot and all the other info written to it, and that it requires some room for booting up the center screen when we enter the car (he refused to admit all the written extras for Tesla's benefits). I checked and Trip A/B both had original mileages almost matching Odometer since I hardly reset them since new. Tesla could have at least warned all of us sooner...however doing so will admit their use of the $10.99 memory chip in the eMMC.

-Black screen of death returned exactly a month before its 4th birthday. Reported via App; took MS into SC; the service representative told me they will look at it but if I do want a newer MCU2 I have to wait one week or longer. I told her about this "known" faulty chip in the eMMC and demanded a free replacement of the MCU (1 or 2) since my MS was still under the basic warrantee. She refused and the MS was in for a week (don't now what they did for a week in the SC). They returned my MS and said "it will run a long time from now now".

-Two months passed, it died almost a month after its 4th birthday. Mileage 41,000 :(

-Reported it to SC via App. They took it in. This time, ....and the above happens...with no charge.

Service Estimate:
Replace Tegra Daughterboard Inside MCU (Model S)
MSX MCU TEGRA VCM REV-B/C-PROV (64GB)(2728212-S0-B)

Total parts/labor: $0.00

My 2cents. Even if I had to pay the $500 as originally quoted, I would; rather than a new MCU2. Can Tesla guarantee a good MCU2? Is this really a permanent fix? I guess not. I don't have and I don't use/trust FSD just yet. I don't need a new MCU2 board.

....will check back and update how good is this replacement of daughterboard really is.

Good luck to all!

I don't often go online but this one I have to share my experiences regarding this frustrating faulty eMMC issue, with our much loved MS/MX's and not so much loved MCU1 units.

To summed up short. I made the appointment with the nearby SC and took my MS in yesterday 11-04-2020. The service representative acknowledged the black screen of death and before he can charge me for the daughterboard replacement cost, I showed my frustrations toward a wide range of failures for all of the rest of the owners (semi raise-hell) but not offended anyone in the office. I demanded a complete free/waiver of the replacement cost. He checked my serviced histories and then replied "yes, let see what I can do, I think I can ask my manager to approve this change with zero cost; I think I can do this for you!" Music to my ears! Although it wasn't 100% sure while I was at the SC. I left and got home around 30 minutes later, and I got a text from the service representative "I got it approved!".

-First 3.5 years of operations, twice the center screen gone black, but were able to rebooted with scroll-wheels.

-3 months before its 4th birthday, it went black, reported via App, virtual repair via OTA brought it back to life. The engineer advised me to "reset the Trip A/B frequently as it doesn't just counting numbers..." He explained to me memories are being bumped with new autopilot and all the other info written to it, and that it requires some room for booting up the center screen when we enter the car (he refused to admit all the written extras for Tesla's benefits). I checked and Trip A/B both had original mileages almost matching Odometer since I hardly reset them since new. Tesla could have at least warned all of us sooner...however doing so will admit their use of the $10.99 memory chip in the eMMC.

-Black screen of death returned exactly a month before its 4th birthday. Reported via App; took MS into SC; the service representative told me they will look at it but if I do want a newer MCU2 I have to wait one week or longer. I told her about this "known" faulty chip in the eMMC and demanded a free replacement of the MCU (1 or 2) since my MS was still under the basic warrantee. She refused and the MS was in for a week (don't now what they did for a week in the SC). They returned my MS and said "it will run a long time from now now".

-Two months passed, it died almost a month after its 4th birthday. Mileage 41,000 :(

-Reported it to SC via App. They took it in. This time, ....and the above happens...with no charge.

Service Estimate:

My 2cents. Even if I had to pay the $500 as originally quoted, I would; rather than a new MCU2. Can Tesla guarantee a good MCU2? Is this really a permanent fix? I guess not. I don't have and I don't use/trust FSD just yet. I don't need a new MCU2 board.

....will check back and update how good is this replacement of daughterboard really is.

Good luck to all!

Seems like even the daughterboard replacement has issues. And it doesn't improve performance at all, as navigation is still mostly useless for routes further than an hour away.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Many people have reported improved performance. I suspect it depends on where you start.
I have a 2015/AP1 car - 87k. I can nav to places - just did yesterday - that was 2.5 hours away. Said I would arrive with 9% left which was dead on. I was hauling bikes so I actually needed the estimate.
But my voice recognition stinks - kicks in 50% of the time. The search function on audio not working right. And I have had a few 45 sec wakeups. Strangely text reading is perfect.
My point is that everyone has different experiences - my nav works fine. Probably not as snappy as MCU2 - like if you need it while pulling out of the driveway.
Someone should come up with a benchmark for testing these things - similar to computer tests.
My big concern is rebooting and not waking up. So I don't reboot very often.

Reactions: AustinP and brkaus
Tomorrow I will get this Daughter board replacement as well - attached is the invoice - I have followed the issues with MCU and I am not convinced my issue is the same MCU issues - I con't download SW updates and have no connection to the Tesla backend or my mobile app - have tried many power reboots and total disconnects and restarts of the car - no avail - so I think they are just trying trial and error - I will have to decide if I make a sink if this does not fix it - mine is a 2016 X with 80K so out of warranty - they also added the steering bolt recall

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 9.22.07 AM.png

Yesterday, The SC in Columbus OH installed the daughterboard in my July 2013 Model S. Everything works (except the browser, of course). Service as always was excellent, gave me a new Model 3 as loaner.

@Mjsais , My older 2013 MS has similar eMMC errors. There seems to be inconsistent experiences replacing just the daughter boards on these older cars. Now that it's been a couple months since you had the daughter board replaced, are you seeing any issues?

@Mjsais , My older 2013 MS has similar eMMC errors. There seems to be inconsistent experiences replacing just the daughter boards on these older cars. Now that it's been a couple months since you had the daughter board replaced, are you seeing any issues?
A few weird and intermittent issues, such as:
Tunein doesn’t save favorite stations all the time,
app alerts of car windows open when they were closed.
I would change sone configuration in the instrument cluster screen and next time I got in car, it reverted to a previous configuration.
Nothing critical but weird issues.

Service Estimate:

Good luck to all!

Update 11-06-2020 - Picked up MS, 2-day service.
Tested all features and buttons, all is good!
-No improvement gained. Did not expected it anyways, since chip in eMMC is just to store data/memory.
-AM/FM still active (this proves MCU1 still on board - otherwise it's extra $500 per latest Tesla offer with the MCU2).
-App for Summon now has both Forward/Reverse on the bottom (i used to have Forward on top, and Reverse on the bottom).

--------------------
Invoice:
Concern: Infotainment - customer states: “Center Display unresponsive” second times since last service Jul 31 2020.
Verified customer concern. Removed MCU assembly for access. Removed and replaced daughter board assembly.
Reassembled vehicle. Associated new daughter board to vehicle in garage and performed a FW update. Once completed
function tested MCU and verified normal operations at this time. No further action required at this time.

All parts are new unless otherwise specified.

Correction: Replace Tegra Daughterboard Inside MCU (Model S)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity 1.0
MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN(2728212-S0-B)

Correction: Software Recovery - Media Control Unit (Restore)
Correction: General Diagnosis
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service $0.00
-------------------

Happy! Happy!
They forgot to wash my MS...damn it!

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Update 11-06-2020 - Picked up MS, 2-day service.
Tested all features and buttons, all is good!
-No improvement gained. Did not expected it anyways, since chip in eMMC is just to store data/memory.
-AM/FM still active (this proves MCU1 still on board - otherwise it's extra $500 per latest Tesla offer with the MCU2).
-App for Summon now has both Forward/Reverse on the bottom (i used to have Forward on top, and Reverse on the bottom).

--------------------
Invoice:
Concern: Infotainment - customer states: “Center Display unresponsive” second times since last service Jul 31 2020.
Verified customer concern. Removed MCU assembly for access. Removed and replaced daughter board assembly.
Reassembled vehicle. Associated new daughter board to vehicle in garage and performed a FW update. Once completed
function tested MCU and verified normal operations at this time. No further action required at this time.

All parts are new unless otherwise specified.

Correction: Replace Tegra Daughterboard Inside MCU (Model S)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity 1.0
MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN(2728212-S0-B)

Correction: Software Recovery - Media Control Unit (Restore)
Correction: General Diagnosis
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service $0.00
-------------------

Happy! Happy!
They forgot to wash my MS...damn it!

Great to hear your good experience...

How is the performance? Any glitches? Does the browser work? Which SeC did you use?

Late 2016 MS, 3.8yrs old, 48,500 miles. Reported sporadically occurring "black screens of death" (with reboots taking longer) to the service center where they said my memory was likely filling up since I had a lot of trip history & wanted me to come in when it next happened and have it factory reset to wipe the memory (requires in-house SC appt). Credible or "stalling"?

Just read through all the responses and am curious on others thoughts:

2014 MS 85, CPO warranty expires December 2020 (next month)

Scheduled a service appointment 11/19 with premature failing eMMC issue and was told parts were ordered:

Parts Ordered
  1. MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB)
    Part #: 2728212-S0-A

Was told this would be replaced under my warranty free of charge, but was given the option of the MCU2 upgrade when inquiring about the old 3G to LTE upgrade. Originally I was told the MCU2 upgrade would be $2.5k plus taxes. I asked about a discount since the eMMC issue is under warranty and was told I could upgrade to the MCU2 for $1,750 plus taxes if the original eMMC was found to be faulty. A significant discount... thinking about possibly trading up the car in a couple of years however. That’s a big IF though.