Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offering $5,000 Trade-In Credit for "Classic" Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla trade-in offers on pre-refresh Model S right now is a joke.
They are about $10K below wholesale average, where most are actually selling over wholesale.
All dealers game their trade ins. When they don't have fixed pricing, they can easily hide it in the (lack of) discount on the new car purchase.

But, again, what I would want is Tesla to purchase my FSD & FUSC for a fixed credit towards a new car purchase. They can take the features away and put a stamp on the console saying they are gone. Then I know I'm getting a true/fair value for this features. An "additional $5k" on an arbitrary value is still arbitrary.

Tesla trade-in offers on pre-refresh Model S right now is a joke.
They are about $10K below wholesale average, where most are actually selling over wholesale.
I think the Tesla trade in values have been well below wholesale for years. I think it is not even worth the time to consider the offer from Tesla.

Just for grins, I tried and got an offer of less than 70k for a 6 month old LR with 1k miles. Absurd.

New prices have come down a lot for the MS and this has had a domino effect on used values. Not only did Tesla reduce prices in January but they are also continuing to sell some new existing inventory cars at nice discounts on top of that. For example, below is a link to a new existing inventory MS that is priced over $21k less than what the pre-January price reduction retail price was.

Reactions: aerodyne
New prices have come down a lot for the MS and this has had a domino effect on used values. Not only did Tesla reduce prices in January but they are also continuing to sell some new existing inventory cars at nice discounts on top of that. For example, below is a link to a new existing inventory MS that is priced over $21k less than what the pre-January price reduction retail price was.

Interesting. 5k less than I ordered in Oct 21.

But, had I a crystal ball, would I have waited that long for a larger rear screen? Being a demo, probably a reject, probably not.

Interesting to see how this goes. I'm thinking USS cars will be keepers for a while.

Free Supercharging is really attractive. They got a lot of sales in the last week of 2022 due to the free Supercharging offer (10,000 miles) + $7,500 off. If you have the AWD 85D or 100D and unlimited free Supercharging and don't mind that it takes longer for your car to charge, may be keep it. You've also got the better level of safety with AWD.

Last edited:
I understand that the offer on the older cars is low and the $5K may not be enough for some people (and others may want to sell privately), but for owners of the older cars who haven't yet experienced it, the newer cars charge much much faster than the older Model S vehicles that this offer applies to. In fact, it is so much faster, it makes road-tripping a lot more fun...Of course, you can get that faster charging performance with any new(er) vehicle purchase, it doesn't have to be through this offer...
Free supercharging, free connectivity, a sunroof and rock solid AP1 makes my road trips way more fun than shaving a few minutes off of supercharging I have to pay for ;D

If they were really serious about knocking us out then they'd just offer us 5k to give up fusc.
I'm questioning the validity of this offer.
1) Elon doesn't have to offer anything. He can just take it away at any moment.
But I honestly don't think they care enough about however many lifetime USC vehicles there are out there.
2) It doesn't cost them anything really. How are they benefitting from getting rid of these vehicles? Besides the sales this "might" encourage from folks who have LUSC but have been on the fence for trading in. What else? The charging fees? I can't imagine that the potential fees from all the LUSC vehicles combined really add up to any significant amount that would encourage this offer.

Here's a scenario I can see (just my imagination):
In the early days of Tesla, Elon was looking for ideas to boost sales, and someone else came up with the LUSC idea.
He initially was convinced it was a good idea, but later, after implementation, he changed his mind. And since it wasn't his idea, he now resents having to honor these LUSC's, but doesn't want to just rug pull the incentive, so they come up with a "bonus" to encourage trade-ins.

• Disagree
Reactions: Droschke
But I honestly don't think they care enough about however many lifetime USC vehicles there are out there.
2) It doesn't cost them anything really. How are they benefitting from getting rid of these vehicles? Besides the sales this "might" encourage from folks who have LUSC but have been on the fence for trading in. What else? The charging fees? I can't imagine that the potential fees from all the LUSC vehicles combined really add up to any significant amount that would encourage this offer.

In the early days of Tesla, Elon was looking for ideas to boost sales, and someone else came up with the LUSC idea.
He initially was convinced it was a good idea, but later, after implementation, he changed his mind. And since it wasn't his idea, he now resents having to honor these LUSC's, but doesn't want to just rug pull the incentive, so they come up with a "bonus" to encourage trade-ins.
if they take it away from those of us that have it there will be expensive legal repercussions. the contract for the car clearly states free unlimited lifetime supercharging, if they took it away its clearly a breach of contract and that's an easy win in court. Also taking away something like this would have serious negative effects on stock and public opinion so there is no logical reason to try and take it away by force.

No, he can't.
2) It doesn't cost them anything really. How are they benefitting from getting rid of these vehicles?
As I posted upthread, I've consumed $2,000 of "free" supercharging in the last 14 months. Even if they mark up the wholesale electricity cost 100% (a reasonable guess), that's still $1,000 of real money they're paying utilities. And I'm one person.

Yes, the general incentive here is to spur soft sales of new S/X and convince more people to upgrade in a way that is also beneficial to the company. But it's gonna have to be a lot more than a $5k sweetener on top of a shite trade offer to get me to jump.

The motivations to get rid of fusc are probably not great but they exist. Any car that has fusc will probably slow a lot charger. That means more time taking up space at a supercharger.

If there's a ceo in charge of Tesla that has some serious regrets over ever offering fusc then they'd probably push harder than the dollars and cents of the matter would justify.

The motivations to get rid of fusc are probably not great but they exist. Any car that has fusc will probably slow a lot charger. That means more time taking up space at a supercharger.

If there's a ceo in charge of Tesla that has some serious regrets over ever offering fusc then they'd probably push harder than the dollars and cents of the matter would justify.
What’s slowing up SC are the new cars Tesla has plugged in at their dealer locations. I counted 9 of the 12 stalls with red folders on the dash at my stop yesterday in North Houston. That’s not right IMO.

Reactions: dbldwn02
if they take it away from those of us that have it there will be expensive legal repercussions. the contract for the car clearly states free unlimited lifetime supercharging, if they took it away its clearly a breach of contract and that's an easy win in court. Also taking away something like this would have serious negative effects on stock and public opinion so there is no logical reason to try and take it away by force.
I agree with you. I just don't think it's that big a deal overall.

No, he can't.

As I posted upthread, I've consumed $2,000 of "free" supercharging in the last 14 months. Even if they mark up the wholesale electricity cost 100% (a reasonable guess), that's still $1,000 of real money they're paying utilities. And I'm one person.

Yes, the general incentive here is to spur soft sales of new S/X and convince more people to upgrade in a way that is also beneficial to the company. But it's gonna have to be a lot more than a $5k sweetener on top of a shite trade offer to get me to jump.
Yes, but you are an outlier. For every owner like you, there are 5-10 owners who supercharge less than 10% of what you do annually.
And the total number of LUSC vehicles can't be that many at this point.
I just don't think it's nearly enough volume to move the needle.

Yes, but you are an outlier. For every owner like you, there are 5-10 owners who supercharge less than 10% of what you do annually.
Source? Yes I’m at the higher end but you seem to have just made this claim up.
Tesla made ~180k vehicles from 2012-2016. It’s a pretty conservative guess to think that half of them are still out there with free supercharging. 90k vehicles isn’t insignificant.

I guess all we can say for certain is that Tesla felt it was worth specifically targeting these owners with a $5,000 incentive, and that there was enough upside in it for them to do so.

If he’s the outlier, I’d hate to understand all of the apartment/condo dwellers. Let alone the ‘I’ll never charge at home because it’s too slow’ owners.
If my FUSC car had any version of AP, I’d shove a 350v pack into it and join that ‘never at home’ club. The offset of PV put directly back into the grid and not into a car would more than make up for the morning coffee inside the car while charging, ‘fee’.