Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offering $5,000 Trade-In Credit for "Classic" Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I received an email from Tesla offering an additional $5,000 on my vehicles trade in value to "exchange" my unlimited free Supercharging miles.
I have a super early P85D with the + suspension (heck even the struts say "prototype" lol) and FUSC has saved me over $1k in the nearly 4 years I've had my car but the warranty is ending next month…. Despite that, the car has had it's fair share of issues over the years of course so it makes it tough.

I've already been considering a new S/X so this does come at a good time, but was wondering if anyone else had received an offer like this.

"Learn More" links here:
Ownership Loyalty Benefits | Tesla Support

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-16 164328.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 164328.png
    798.7 KB · Views: 716
  • Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS and ICUDoc
This morning I received an email from Tesla offering an additional $5,000 on my vehicles trade in value to "exchange" my unlimited free Supercharging miles.
I have a super early P85D with the + suspension (heck even the struts say "prototype" lol) and FUSC has saved me over $1k in the nearly 4 years I've had my car but the warranty is ending next month…. Despite that, the car has had it's fair share of issues over the years of course so it makes it tough.

I've already been considering a new S/X so this does come at a good time, but was wondering if anyone else had received an offer like this.

"Learn More" links here:
Ownership Loyalty Benefits | Tesla Support
It will still be at least $5K lower than you can sell privately.

It will still be at least $5K lower than you can sell privately.
Exactly. Which is why I would like to see the offer as giving $5k towards a new Tesla by removing FUSC on an existing one. Ditto for the FSD (which isn't on the table at all, but if I could dream).

I am assuming they are talking those with life of the car FUSC? Or does it also go to FUSC that is one owner only? And did they target heavy users of supercharging or everyone?

Not to be too cynical but it looks like you kind of just have to trust Tesla that their trade in offer will be $5000 higher than it otherwise would have been. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Yeah, maybe it would be closer to actual market value with the $5k, but still probably too low for me to consider. The last time I did a trade-in estimate, it was $28.5k, which is absolutely laughable and I'm sure it's even lower with this program in place now.

So I lose free supercharging, free connectivity, a sunroof that opens, rear jump seats, autopilot that doesn't prank the driver behind me, about $60,000 and I gain.... a yoke?

Not so sure about that deal.
Exactly 🤣 We make pretty frequent cross-county trips so the extra range and charging speed would be nice to have. That being said, if we don't mind waiting, doing the trip for FREE is always a pretty appealing option that I wouldn't have with an upgrade. I'm leaning more towards keeping my car and getting a newer one in addition since the value of all the things you mentioned is worth more than the 'value' Tesla is giving me.

Exactly. Which is why I would like to see the offer as giving $5k towards a new Tesla by removing FUSC on an existing one. Ditto for the FSD (which isn't on the table at all, but if I could dream).

I am assuming they are talking those with life of the car FUSC? Or does it also go to FUSC that is one owner only? And did they target heavy users of supercharging or everyone?
I have life of the car FUSC and I wouldn't consider myself a heavy Supercharger user, using about 2,900 kWh at them since 2020 and 7,700 on AC. But now that I'm looking at that nearly 40% Supercharger usage, maybe I am? 🤔 lol

Tesla’s trade offers on early Model S are embarrassingly low. This is a fake discount.

Clever on their part to tie it to a trade as their motivation appears to be getting SC01 cars off the street, but $5k isn’t even “break even” vs. selling the car private party.

I just got an estimate on my late 2016 S75 - $15-17k. 😂
Holy crap and I thought my offer was sad... That's just downright pathetic

I understand that the offer on the older cars is low and the $5K may not be enough for some people (and others may want to sell privately), but for owners of the older cars who haven't yet experienced it, the newer cars charge much much faster than the older Model S vehicles that this offer applies to. In fact, it is so much faster, it makes road-tripping a lot more fun...Of course, you can get that faster charging performance with any new(er) vehicle purchase, it doesn't have to be through this offer...

For me, giving up free Supercharging and Connectivity is a nonstarter. However, good way for Tesla to reduce the number of free Supercharger owners. Makes you think if someday Tesla will involuntarily remove free Supercharging sometime in the future...

For me, giving up free Supercharging and Connectivity is a nonstarter. However, good way for Tesla to reduce the number of free Supercharger owners. Makes you think if someday Tesla will involuntarily remove free Supercharging sometime in the future...
If they were really serious about knocking us out then they'd just offer us 5k to give up fusc.

I understand that the offer on the older cars is low and the $5K may not be enough for some people (and others may want to sell privately), but for owners of the older cars who haven't yet experienced it, the newer cars charge much much faster than the older Model S vehicles that this offer applies to. In fact, it is so much faster, it makes road-tripping a lot more fun...Of course, you can get that faster charging performance with any new(er) vehicle purchase, it doesn't have to be through this offer...

My last car was a 2013 60 with fusc. That made salt lake to vegas a bit tedious. It worked out to be something like 2.5 hours of charging. Free is way better than 7$ a gallon for gas but I did have to get creative about what to do waiting at superchargers.

My current car is a 2015 90d with fusc. This same trip now takes about an hour of charging. It now takes less time to charge than it does for me to make a few pit stops and get something to eat.

I'm sure the newest Tesla's charge much faster. All things being equal I'd take that speed. Practically speaking though it's not really something I need. It might allow me to make that road trip driving almost nonstop, peeing in bottles with autopilot on maybe. That's not a fun way to travel though.