Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offering insurance next month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming this is only for Tesla cars, so I wonder if it will still save money for families with other non Tesla cars and multi-car discounts?

Yeah, that's part of it. It'd need to be somewhere near 1/2 price of what I'm paying now on the Tesla to consider it, given the downsides I'm thinking of. I get comparable rate now for the Model 3 to the less expensive 2nd car (also a BEV).

The "we're watching" puts me on edge and I'm unsure about how they'd handle accounting for my private property activities whose raw telemetry data probable would freak the ever-loving snot out of their safety assessment algorithm. Then there is the issue of dealing with a newly put together bureaucracy and their likely tendency towards handling repairs in a Company Store manner.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
It will be difficult for Tesla to match the rates I get but I would consider a small premium increase to support the cause. 51 years of driving with a perfect record not even a ticket.
It is interesting though when using EAP and NoA since I actually pay more attention then when I drive entirely on my own.

Reactions: pilotSteve
who is going to provide customer service and claims service? If Tesla, they’d have to up their game.

This.

I love the car, but customer service and communication is generally horrifically bad- not what I'm looking for in an insurance company.

Then again, "next month" might turn into next year in Elon time.

Remember, advance summon was "coming in 6 weeks" last November 1st.

This is huge. Elon said they can offer rates based on how they know you drive, since they have the data, and can base rates on how much AP is used/not used. Kind of big brother, but if it gets significantly lower rates it will be welcome and also set the stage for insuring FSD in the future...
Well, they have your data regardless of whether you buy insurance from them or not

Assuming this is only for Tesla cars, so I wonder if it will still save money for families with other non Tesla cars and multi-car discounts?

Looks unlikely.
Which is a BIG miss - my multi-car discount makes insuring the 3rd car almost free.
In other words, if I pull the Tesla out of the pack and let Elon insure it, it would need to be priced pretty close to $0 to be worth the bother for me. Which it wont be.

who is going to provide customer service and claims service? If Tesla, they’d have to up their game.

No way they would scale up for this properly - it will have be outsourced to a "partnership" with some other insurance company.
The key question is which one?
Some of the cheaper insurance companies have truly terrible customer service. Come to think of it, Tesla itself is not that great either.

This is huge. Elon said they can offer rates based on how they know you drive, since they have the data, and can base rates on how much AP is used/not used. Kind of big brother, but if it gets significantly lower rates it will be welcome and also set the stage for insuring FSD in the future...

Not just big brother - usage-based insurance algo's + insurance policies can be remarkably stupid.

I dipped my toes into it a year ago, with a plug-in gizmo, whoring off my privacy for a promised "upto 25%" discount.

Got ~12% lower rates for the first two months, then took the car to a DE, and they tried to jack up my rates +58% the following month due to "repetitive rapid acceleration and deceleration events". Duah!

It got better and funnier.
I told them about the Driver Education event, and they countered by offering "safe driver" discount for participating in a DE. But only on top of +58% surcharge.
Cute.

I opted out of the usage-based insurance experiment, unplugged the stupid gizmo, and they instantly reset my rates back to where I started.
Thus the attempted +58% surcharge never materialized.
Neither did the promised magnitude of the discounts.

YMMV,
a

Maybe. Seems it has to do with an “abnormally high number of claims from Tesla owners...” whatever that means.

BROKEN REAR triangular windows claims. As in moron grade B&E.

They'll fix it by making the alarm more sensitive and smarter, like by playing Clint Eastwood saying "Are you feeling lucky, punk, make my day" when said moron is seen slouching around that window, and then these claims will all but vanish, making the insurance more profitable for Tesla. Interesting that I have $100 comprehensive deductible, but for some reason GEICO throws in a lower $50 deductible on Tesla glass. Specifically the glass.