Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on Autopilot slams into stationary car (VIDEO)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes! Would love to know what version of AP it was running and if it was using FSD Beta or highway AP.

That doesn't look like a difficult situation for AP at all. FSD Beta can consistently see stopped vehicles like that (in my testing at least), so I'd be very curious if current releases would still crash in that situation.

A good reminder to always pay attention when using advanced driver assistance systems. Luckily the person opening his stopped car was fine after this.

Anyways from the manual, AP can’t always recognize stopped cars.

16EBC83A-0E85-4DBB-A234-3BC9CD87315E.jpeg

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yikes! Would love to know what version of AP it was running and if it was using FSD Beta or highway AP.

That doesn't look like a difficult situation for AP at all. FSD Beta can consistently see stopped vehicles like that (in my testing at least), so I'd be very curious if current releases would still crash in that situation.
2022.4.5.3; don’t think it has FSDb features:

If autopilot failed, that's the biggest failure I've seen. Driver should have been paying attention, but that's neither here nor there. I didn't think ap/fsd could do this bad. In my experience it excessively brakes, I've never had it excessively accelerate, but then again I disengage way early, as soon as the car starts acting squirrely.

I find it hard to believe this wasn't tacc or manual driving. Hope more details are made public soon. Here's allegedly another angle.

The original accident must have just happened. It shows the importance of using flares at night to alert other drivers, why the Tesla driver didn't brake at all? I wouldn't trust FSD/AP handling this type of situation, especially at night. It's not unheard of for cops, and drivers to get crashed by other drivers at night while fixing/helping car troubles.

A good reminder to always pay attention when using advanced driver assistance systems.

If autopilot failed, that's the biggest failure I've seen. Driver should have been paying attention, but that's neither here nor there.
If AP can't even detect a stopped car, there's no way FSDb is even close to being ready. But that's not surprising.
What driver would allow his car to do this? I don't care if any aids were engaged, this is idiocy.
Partial automation goes against the way our brains work. If something works 99.9% of the time, our brains expect it to work all of the time, and when we're not engaged, we "space out" and start to ignore stuff we shouldn't ignore. I almost never use AP and if I do use it, it's generally for not more than 3-5 minutes, and this is why. I tried using ACC once (not on the Tesla, but on another car a few years ago) and drove for around 30 miles with it on (still had to steer) and when a car cut into my lane suddenly, it took longer than it would have normally taken to hit the brakes, because I had gotten used to the car monitoring traffic and adjusting speed. I still had to be engaged with the task of steering, mind you, but I just had gotten used to the car managing the task of managing the speed and started to see driving as a steering-only activity, kind of like a situation where you have a co-pilot managing other aspects of the system. If things can get that bad when you're still engaged with the task of steering, imagine how bad things can get when you don't have to do anything. Expecting someone to suddenly take control in an exceptional situation after allowing him or her to become completely disengaged just goes against human tendencies.

If AP can't even detect a stopped car, there's no way FSDb is even close to being ready. But that's not surprising.

FSDb clearly can detect stopped vehicles though - just drive around with the FSDb visualization and stopped vehicles are identified accurately and from far away.

So that leaves some questions: in the video in this thread was there some edge case or bug that made it fail? Does that issue still exist? Would FSDb handle this situation OK? Was this an AP2.5 car?

We don't have nearly enough info make any judgement about FSDb just from this one crash.

I’m actually not that shocked by this. Basing it on how the cameras/software routinely will see (for example) my garage door closed 6 feet ahead/nothing at all is behind me, yet sometimes (but not all the time)still places the car in drive vs reverse when in the auto-direction select mode.

*waiting for the inevitable “just wait until single stack and dojo arrives and it will fix everything” responses.

• Funny
FSDb clearly can detect stopped vehicles though - just drive around with the FSDb visualization and stopped vehicles are identified accurately and from far away.
Even someone with bad cataracts can see and stop for pedestrians -- at 5 mph. But apparently AP can't detect cars when going over 60 mph that a human without cataracts could easily see from 5+ seconds away.
I could not tell from the video, are we sure that this is a Tesla and that AP actually was engaged?
Only Teslas have cameras that capture stuff at this angle:

Last edited:
Ok, I may be wrong about this, but ironically, this car had radar + vision Autopilot, lol. If this car had been running vision-only, this accident may never have happened. Also, it was great to hear about all the vision-only FUD'ers when it first came out.

Tesla started transitioning to vision-only with ~2022.20+: 2022.24.6 is updating vehicles to Tesla Vision, although you may have missed it

This whole topic is useless. This accident was from way early 2022. Whatever the root cause may already have been fixed (if it was caused by AP at all).

It's like posting the original famous AP accident with the truck trailer.

So what about forward collision avoidance, that's supposed to at least try to lessen the damage in an accident by braking or taking evasive action? I thought that was supposed to be on all the time, regardless of which driving mode you're in?

Reactions: 2101Guy