Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla order cancelled with no warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots stories in this forum of orders being canceled for no explanation and most were able to get them restored. So it's not true there's nothing they can do.

"Most" ?

Seriously I've only heard of one person who had his order restored (some Model Y order - he lived overseas for a few months). The rest.. Tesla robotically cancels orders and almost never restores the old order.

Reactions: glide
If only Paul Harvey was still around, so you had communications with them about your trade you were busy working (the excuse) and had your wife stop in on the 19th to complete the request for pics that can only be done via the app and takes minimal time, even first responders get breaks, and if your wife was available I’m sure she could have done it to help with your busy schedule.
There is obviously information left out in the event timeline or there would be no need for an excuse (working as a first responder a lot of hours)
I’m not sure what your line of work has to do with the story Most all of us work and I’d say we work hard to be purchasing a Model X, I do believe that Tesla can Improve customer service on the purchasing side. Looking forward to “ the Rest of the Story”

There is obviously information left out in the event timeline or there would be no need for an excuse (working as a first responder a lot of hours)
I’m not sure what your line of work has to do with the story Most all of us work and I’d say we work hard to be purchasing a Model X, I do believe that Tesla can Improve customer service on the purchasing side. Looking forward to “ the Rest of the Story”
Not so sure there has to be more to the story. I also ordered Jan 21. March 22, after not hearing boo for over a year, during the EOQ push on a Saturday I got text saying car available. Was also working away from home, high stress, 110 hours a week for my job. Technoking isn't the only one who works hard, you would think his company would respect those that work hard. Work and the customer was way more important than figuring out the logistics of how to accept and pickup a car when I'm 1/2 way across the county from my delivery center. Blew off the text. On Sunday, 22 hours later, get a text saying Sorry you didn't reply, Car going to someone else. Lucky for me, they weren't canceling for ignoring text back then, so I didn't loose my place or price.

Just $hitty they change policy now and don't communicate they will drop you. Do the new texts say explicitly the policy is "you have 10 days to reply or WILL loose your order". If so, ok? If not, how is one suppose to keep up with changing policies?

Afraid $$$s will rule here and without a lawsuit to force them, they will canceled the OP order for good and will sell to the next guy for $35,000 more.

I SO can't wait for real compention to force a company to stop pulling this. Non fans, just "regular" buyers are needed to expand to 20 million per years and I don't see people like me wife or most coworkers putting up with being treated like this. The OP IS a fan and got pooped on. OP might have to walk with his money somewhere else, as that might be his only real recourse that doesn't involve lawyers and time and more money.

Last edited:
Not so sure there has to be more to the story. I also ordered Jan 21. March 22, after not hearing boo for over a year, during the EOQ push on a Saturday I got text saying car available. Was also working away from home, high stress, 110 hours a week for my job. Technoking isn't the only one who works hard, you would think his company would respect those that work hard. Work and the customer was way more important than figuring out the logistics of how to accept and pickup a car when I'm 1/2 way across the county from my delivery center. Blew off the text. On Sunday, 22 hours later, get a text saying Sorry you didn't reply, Car going to someone else. Lucky for me, they weren't canceling for ignoring text back then, so I didn't loose my place or price.

Just $hitty they change policy now and don't communicate they will drop you. Do the new texts say explicitly the policy is "you have 10 days to reply or WILL loose your order". If so, ok? If not, how is one suppose to keep up with changing policies?

Afraid $$$s will rule here and without a lawsuit to force them, they will canceled the OP order for good and will sell to the next guy for $35,000 more.

I SO can't wait for real compention to force a company to stop pulling this. Non fans, just "regular" buyers are needed to expand to 20 million per years and I don't see people like me wife or most coworkers putting up with being treated like this. The OP IS a fan and got pooped on. OP might have to walk with his money somewhere else, as that might be his only real recourse that doesn't involve lawyers and time and more money.
I received a similar text when I was out of town and could not make the pickup the next day at the end of Q1 2022. I even described this on the TMC Podcast. But, then 3-4 days later, after the end of quarter, they offered me the car again. I assumed they could not find anyone else with the exact specs that wanted the car any sooner. This time I was back in town so took the car.

FA899572-BB0F-406A-9F4A-8D5DA6AF8B18.jpeg

This just happened to me this week. First VIN assigned and I am out of town this week for delivery. I went into a Tesla location on Friday and they said there would be no problem waiting until Monday when I’m back. Then the order is silently canceled and they said the VIN has already been reassigned. I ordered back on May 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
This just happened to me this week. First VIN assigned and I am out of town this week for delivery. I went into a Tesla location on Friday and they said there would be no problem waiting until Monday when I’m back. Then the order is silently canceled and they said the VIN has already been reassigned. I ordered back on May 2021.
I would have recommended getting the vehicle home delivered so that even if you are out of town, they can go ahead with delivery. It's so hard to get VIN and delivery appointments, especially for people who ordered last year. Hope you get a new VIN soon

This reminds me of the times I tried to have some defects repaired after delivery. My service visit was deleted so there would be no record. And when setting up an appointment with another location, the place that deleted my visit record also cancelled my service appointment. And there is no corporate number you can call to voice your concern. At that point, it felt a bit scary to have made a Tesla purchase.

If only Paul Harvey was still around, so you had communications with them about your trade you were busy working (the excuse) and had your wife stop in on the 19th to complete the request for pics that can only be done via the app and takes minimal time, even first responders get breaks, and if your wife was available I’m sure she could have done it to help with your busy schedule.
When ordering in January 2021, I was told the vehicle would be ready in June 2021, then July, then August, then November- January, then March, then may, then June, then august…
According to you, I should have been waiting by my phone this whole time…

No excuses were made, it’s very valid that I ordered in January 2021, then in September 2022 I got confirmation on a Saturday and on the next Thursday, 5 days later my VIN was cancelled, then on the following Monday, my wife went to the dealership and the dealer told her it was just cancelled, the manager then stated it was cancelled on Thursday…. That’s the confirmed timeline…nothing missing

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I’m sure there are details left out in OP’s story, but that doesn’t change the fact Tesla has shitty ass customer service.
I ordered my X Plaid in July 2021 figuring it would be at least a year till delivery came due.
Get notification in March 2022 (end of quarter) my vehicle is ready for delivery.
I contact Tesla and let them know not ready and they put me back in the queue.
Get notification in June (end of quarter) my vehicle is ready. Again, I contact Tesla and let them know I’m not ready and they throw me back in the queue.
I’m thinking to myself, well damn Tesla is keeping me updated and easily sticking me right back in the queue. I’m not use to this smooth customer interaction (issues with past Tesla’s and solar) and I’m feeling good about the direction Tesla customer service is heading…then I get notification in July that they have another X Plaid ready for me but this one comes with a note stating if you don’t take delivery the system will auto cancel on July 15th and I will have to reorder.
I got in at the lower price so I was like crap ok I’ll take the damn vehicle. I contact the Tesla and let them know I can purchase the vehicle on July 19th Tesla rep states has to be by July 15th or the system will auto cancel. Ask to speak with supervisor. Supervisor states same. Ask to speak to his supervisor and Tesla rep advises no one else to speak with. I tell the rep oh I didn’t know I was speaking to Elon Musk himself. Not sure that rep liked that comment or he figured I wasn’t going to stop and he said he could extend it to July 19th, but nothing he could do after that.
Cool, so July 19th comes and they are going to deliver to mi casa and I have the delivery timeframe in the Tesla app. The timeframe comes and goes and no delivery. I contact Tesla 30 mins later and Tesla rep advises they were having some issues with the “detailing process” and they are assigning driver now.
I wait around like a dummy for a few hours and nothing. I contact Tesla back and they advise they wanted the vehicle to be detailed correctly and will have to deliver the next day.
Next day comes and Tesla comes through with their promise they would deliver a vehicle, but this X Plaid had all kinds of issues.
The normal paint defects, panel gaps were all present, but the damn passenger side falcon door would not even close. The poor delivery driver calls Tesla and the stupid Tesla rep advises the driver to back the vehicle up 5 feet and try it again. Don’t really know what that would do since the vehicle was on a flat surface with nothing blocking the door. So the driver backs the vehicle up 5 feet and same issue. Then rep advises driver to do the reset from the steering wheel. Again, same issue. Tesla rep advises need to drive the vehicle back to Fremont to fix the door.
Door is fixed a couple days later and they deliver the vehicle back (which it now has 150 miles on it)
Since delivery back noticed all the seats have pretty horrible looking wrinkles in them and Tesla advised that’s in “Tesla spec” and changing seat covers or seat themselves won’t fix the problem since all the S and X’s have the same issue.
The passenger front door molding came off. The falcon door moldings look already extremely worn out. The passenger quarter window trim pieces is falling off and Tesla looked at it and stated they would have to replace the entire quarter window, but right now it’s within “Tesla spec”
The poor customer service and build quality is what will eventually doom Tesla.
They can get away with it now, but once the market catches up and Tesla decides to open up the supercharging network to other EV’s it will be the death of Tesla

When ordering in January 2021, I was told the vehicle would be ready in June 2021, then July, then August, then November- January, then March, then may, then June, then august…
According to you, I should have been waiting by my phone this whole time…

No excuses were made, it’s very valid that I ordered in January 2021, then in September 2022 I got confirmation on a Saturday and on the next Thursday, 5 days later my VIN was cancelled, then on the following Monday, my wife went to the dealership and the dealer told her it was just cancelled, the manager then stated it was cancelled on Thursday…. That’s the confirmed timeline…nothing missing

Sue them. I would if this happened to me.

The price is approx $35,000 more, I just feel like i'm getting ripped off at this point. The sales team obviously can sell the same vehicle now because of the demand for about $151,000 and thats what they are doing. Just don't think it is fair to be treated this way. I've been a loyal customer since 2015, made 10+ referrals to tesla and had the first model x in michigan.

Same with me, booked Model Y LR in Jul 2021, had deleivery on Sept 15, on Sept 13th sent all money in, on deleivery day they had us sign all papers, and when time to give keys they said Order Cancelled, and we have no recourse. I had the Model Y at $53K price and now they can turn and sell the same thing to someone else at $67K. This is so stupid and outrageous.

They stopped answering to emails when I said I am looking at the legal route.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and voxel
Same with me, booked Model Y LR in Jul 2021, had deleivery on Sept 15, on Sept 13th sent all money in, on deleivery day they had us sign all papers, and when time to give keys they said Order Cancelled, and we have no recourse. I had the Model Y at $53K price and now they can turn and sell the same thing to someone else at $67K. This is so stupid and outrageous.

They stopped answering to emails when I said I am looking at the legal route.
Look at the class action route. It's clear this is a widespread problem, not just an isolated incident, and this appears to be a form of bait-and-switch fraud (rejecting an existing order so you can sell it at a substantially higher price), which is per se illegal. Also write to your legislators and have them threaten to investigate Tesla for unlawful business practices.

Reactions: kavyboy
“Most were able to get them restored”?

I’d like to see one.

There were a bunch in this thread:

But I'm not going to search for them for you in all 2035 pages.

• Helpful
Reactions: CyberGus
As long as people keep buying and pay the price from them it continues to support the dysfunction. It's called corporate greed. I gave up and traded my 2021 S for a 2022 Kia Ev6. Better build quality, and service. My model S was in service multiple times, cameras not working because the sun was to bright, or to cold etc. Front motor failure 1st week, list goes on..... My Kia has been great. No service issue. Lots of new options, Tesla is not the only choice anymore. Best of luck.
It’s the lack of transparency into their policies that’s frustrating. Talking to 3 different Tesla employees often yields 3 different answers. It is easily the worst ran company that I will remain loyal to for the foreseeable future.