Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contributing my data point:
  • Reserved 3/31/16 at 10:30 in the Bay Area.
  • Not an owner at the time, but ordered an X a few months later.
  • Invited to configure 11/21 at 12:30, quoted "Delivery in 4 weeks".
  • Decided to wait and try to time delivery closer to lease expiration in May '18.
  • Hoping for white interior, maybe AWD/SAS.

Cool. There's the evidence - I may have missed it if someone noted this already - that ownership at the time of reservation and/or duration of ownership do not seem to be relevant. Ownership *as of now* coupled with the date and time of reservation appear to be driving the schedule of invites.

And, in-person reservations at the reveal event > in-store reservations on 03/31 > reservations online that day.

Of course, if ( @bonnie && ! @K-MTG ) at the top of the decision tree.

Should I be concerned that I haven't received my invitation to configure yet?

- Reserved 3/31/16 at 10:10 am MST (9:10 AM PST) in Colorado while on business trip
- Not an owner at the time, but bought a Roadster through a private party sale in August 2017 which was added to the same MyTesla account as my Model 3 reservation
- Reservation still says "Nov-Jan" for first production
- Southern California address

I sent a "general support enquiry" to Tesla yesterday and they responded with "If you placed a reservation for first production simply make sure your email address on your account for the roadster matches the email address for your model 3 reservation. If these emails match and you still don't receive your invite. Please don't hesitate to call in directly to Tesla Support."

Are there any other existing California Tesla owners here who reserved in-store on 3/31/16 that haven't received their invitation to configure yet?

• Disagree
Reactions: DFibRL8R
Is there an estimate on the cost of AWD? So far the config screens I have seen don't show any pricing for the later AWD delivery. Kind of relevant when trying to decide if we order now or wait.....

no accurate estimate just that we know Elon said it will be less than the price on a Model S/X. Since the least of those is $5,000 we know Model 3 will charge less than $5,000 for AWD.

We don't know how that will interact with other features, taxes, fees. Just that the raw price will be less.

Another tidbit I noticed while ordering.

The address that it had prefilled was my old address at the time of the reservation. I moved last February and updated the address in my Tesla account soon after.

I think that may support the theory that the address you placed the reservation under st that time is the order they’re using.

...My reservation said AWD was Q4 of 2018...
My AWD reservation from several months ago as a current owner now shows August 2018.

i can't believe i just placed a $50k order for a car i've not even sat inside or test drove...would do again.
Yeah, I never sat in one until I picked up my S. Sometimes you just know what you want.

Reactions: KJD and JHawk
Another tidbit I noticed while ordering.

The address that it had prefilled was my old address at the time of the reservation. I moved last February and updated the address in my Tesla account soon after.

I think that may support the theory that the address you placed the reservation under st that time is the order they’re using.

A friend of mine was in line in MN to order his. He the moved to the Bay Area and has received his invite.

Reactions: schonelucht
no accurate estimate just that we know Elon said it will be less than the price on a Model S/X. Since the least of those is $5,000 we know Model 3 will charge less than $5,000 for AWD.

We don't know how that will interact with other features, taxes, fees. Just that the raw price will be less.

One of the wild cards that we'll just have to wait on is whether air suspension will be included or optional when ordering AWD and how air suspension impacts AWD pricing? Personally, if it saved me money to have AWD without air suspension that would be my preference.

Last edited:
Is factory pickup an option? Would love to start a NorCal road trip after a factory pickup.

RT

It's a little different from what it used to be. There's no longer a true factory delivery. There's a separate delivery center - a rather bland warehouse setup with multiple spots for cars on carpets sort of a thing - a few miles away, still in Fremont. You'd need to arrange a factory tour separately; it may be tricky to figure out when the delivery date is and to coordinate a factory tour (which may have to be setup well in advance for the holiday season) for that day.

I like the spreadsheet that schonelucht has on Google. But just in case the CEO's of GM and VW go in and intentionally start messing with the numbers, I'm going to still post yesterdays results...

11-21-17: 17 invites received.

11-22-17: Again, the time is when they posted in this thread...

Sparky 1:49pm
alexdav 1:56pm
ToTheT 2:02pm
@DaveT 2:28pm Kudos on megaposts
RandyS 3:04pm
bswn1 3:13pm
macman 3:18pm
g-force 3:27pm
jimmy_d 5:04pm
JenniferQ 5:46pm
zackmilo 6:25pm
TaoJones 6:40pm 11-21 e-mail stated
AllDigital 7:00pm
ForeverFree 7:37pm

So 14 total on 11-22, 17 on 11-21. 31 total invites seen in this thread. 4 week quoted delivery time means we are 26 days away from the possible first delivery.

RT

11-21-17: 17
11-22-17: 14

11-23-17 are below...

einsol 12:19pm e-mail received on 11-21
Zythryn 4:02pm friend of a friends cousins grandpa in MN

Looks like the Tesla team took the Holiday off for some well deserved RnR. Now faced with the prospect of an entire day having been corked off with no new Model 3's to show for it, and only 25 days left now until the first customer delivery :eek:.

Back to work Tesla Peeps !

RT