Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey @cpa ,

I'm from the Central Valley as well, great to hear that they are willing to deliver to your home. I'm hoping they offer me this as well. When did you place your oder? I placed on the 22nd and have not received a call.

We received the invitation to configure on December 22. My wife and I decided to defer the configuration until Christmas morning, as this was our present to each other. The following day I uploaded all the documents that they requested--insurance, driver licenses, etc. Cash payment on delivery.

We heard from the agent three days later on Friday.

I have no way of knowing how the configured orders are placed into the notification queue. Perhaps it is the color and extras/lack of extras that we order. We know that Tesla is accumulating a modest quantity of cars for delivery. It might be that Tesla has based some of its manufacturing based upon what customers have bought.

No one really knows! Congratulations on your order! I hope you get the good news this week!

• Love
Reactions: seabie
We received the invitation to configure on December 22. My wife and I decided to defer the configuration until Christmas morning, as this was our present to each other. The following day I uploaded all the documents that they requested--insurance, driver licenses, etc. Cash payment on delivery.

We heard from the agent three days later on Friday.

I have no way of knowing how the configured orders are placed into the notification queue. Perhaps it is the color and extras/lack of extras that we order. We know that Tesla is accumulating a modest quantity of cars for delivery. It might be that Tesla has based some of its manufacturing based upon what customers have bought.

No one really knows! Congratulations on your order! I hope you get the good news this week!

Thanks!

One thing I wonder in the invite to delivery equation is whether it matters whether people are doing a trade in or not. I can see especially during the year end rush that they picked people who weren't trading in cars for early delivery, since that would be a potential delay in getting the car to the customer.

For people who have ordered (or can) and never received an email, where exactly in your account do you look? I have a black Manage button next to the reservations at Tesla SSO – Login, and when I click on it, the "Next steps: Your Model 3 was reserved on 3/31/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation..." page shows. Am I looking in the right place?

For people who have ordered (or can) and never received an email, where exactly in your account do you look? I have a black Manage button next to the reservations at Tesla SSO – Login, and when I click on it, the "Next steps: Your Model 3 was reserved on 3/31/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation..." page shows. Am I looking in the right place?
Yes. That page will be replaced by one that explains your options to configure, once you’ve been enqueued.

Yes. That page will be replaced by one that explains your options to configure, once you’ve been enqueued.

Something tells me that this is a neologism coined by those in the computer program writing dodge. No history exists on its usage from my research (but then I stink at finding stuff online.)

Apologies to the beleaguered and overwrought moderator of this site for going off on a tangent. If he wishes, he can dequeue my comment. No hard feelings!

It seems like most CA owners have been invited at this point, correct? And I've seen mention of at least one, and I think a couple of east-coast owner invites. We've also got fairly compelling evidence that the ramp is proceeding upward significantly last week and this.

I'm curious what you all think is the likely time frame we should expect to see the rest of the US owner population invited to configure. I ask because as a non-owner located in Colorado, I'm becoming pretty certain that the current estimated time frame showing within my Tesla account (Dec 2017 - Feb 2018) for first production is already highly unlikely to be met for me.

That's no problem; I expected when I first saw it (and LOLed at its obvious-to-me unlikeliness). And in fact this Dec-Feb estimate is already pushed from the original Nov-Jan. But I was/am hoping to take delivery in April after having mentally adjusted the closing window of Tesla's estimate by a couple of more months to account for Tesla Time™.

Working backward from my April hope: if non-California non-owners like me are going to take delivery in April, we'd have to be invited by the end of March. Which means we'd have to see in-California non-owners invited by--tossing out a guess here--mid-February as there are likely a lot of non-owners with day 1 reservations in CA who are willing to take first production configurations. Which means we'd have to see the rest of the US owner population invited Real Soon Now™.

To summarize my guesses: (all of these pertain only to first production configurations--clearly far too many variables to estimate beyond that with any hope of being reasonably accurate)
  • NOW - CA owners invite window (nearing close?) for Dec 2017 - Jan 2018 delivery
  • January - rest-of-US owners invite window, for delivery in February-March depending on distance from CA
  • February-to-early March - CA non-owners invite window, for March-early April delivery
  • March - non-owners invite window starts to move East (to Colorado, I hope!), for April-July delivery?
Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself with this thought experiment. But given this is already attempting to figure out what we'd need/expect to see in order for Tesla to get me my car in a time frame that misses their current estimate by two months, I don't think it's unfair to start postulating.

So, what do you all think? Are my guesses reasonable? Is there any hope of me getting my 3 in time for my birthday in mid April?

If not, what do you think is a more reasonable expectation?

Side note: I ran a guesstimate of total production through March to ballpark whether I thought it reasonable to expect a CO non-owner to take delivery in mid-April based on cars produced against the estimated 100k reservations that may have been made before mine (was 115k at reveal, and I made mine in store early PM MST due to the crazy line) plus Tesla owners who didn't reserve but get priority. Let's call that 150k reservations/priority orders that may 'beat' mine. How many would want first production? 25%? So we'd want to be at > 37,500 cars to expect mine to be ready.

Assuming 2k in 2017 and a relatively even ramp from 1k/week this week to the estimated 5k/week the last week of March:
  • 2,000 2017
  • 1,000 week 1 Jan
  • 1,250 week 2 Jan
  • 1,500 week 3 Jan
  • 1,750 week 4 Jan
  • 2,000 week 5 Jan
  • 2500 week 1 Feb
  • 3000 week 2 Feb
  • 3,250 week 3 Feb
  • 3,500 week 4 Feb
  • 3,750 week 1 Mar
  • 4,000 week 2 Mar
  • 4,500 week 3 Mar
  • 5,000 week 4 Mar
That comes to 39,000 produced by end of Q1 2018.

I've seen mention of at least one, and I think a couple of east-coast owner invites. We've also got fairly compelling evidence that the ramp is proceeding upward significantly last week and this.

I'm curious what you all think is the likely time frame we should expect to see the rest of the US owner population invited to configure.

To get a little more data, I visited the Littleton, CO gallery/service center/delivery location over lunch today. They shared that they've done a few employee deliveries, as well as their first non-employee delivery (!) last week. So back to my prior post quoted above--it appears that more than just CA and a couple of east-coasters non-employees have already taken delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and Rusty1
Something tells me that this is a neologism coined by those in the computer program writing dodge. No history exists on its usage from my research (but then I stink at finding stuff online.)

Apologies to the beleaguered and overwrought moderator of this site for going off on a tangent. If he wishes, he can dequeue my comment. No hard feelings!
Not really. enqueued is the past participle of queue. Used mostly in computer references these days, although the term queue itself arrived in English in the 16th century from Latin, meaning tail. It was then applied by those British sailors to the longish bundle of hair common among Chinese workers in the 18th century.

Sadly, I am deeply enqueued for my two Model 3's.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Not really. enqueued is the past participle of queue. Used mostly in computer references these days, although the term queue itself arrived in English in the 16th century from Latin, meaning tail. It was then applied by those British sailors to the longish bundle of hair common among Chinese workers in the 18th century.

Sadly, I am deeply enqueued for my two Model 3's.

Yeah, that much I knew--did not have to research that. But I am curious that your statement that enqueue is past participle. To my knowledge, there are no verbs in the English language that designate the past participle with a prefix. Past participles generally take the -ed, -en, -t suffixes, or they are orthographic (ring become rung, or bring becomes brought.)

Personally, I think the computer reference is spot on, sort of a parallel construction to encode. It is unclear to me whether the en- prefix is an intensifier (engorge) or a placement (enrage.)

Fun stuff! :) (And I hope that your wait while enqueued is brief!)