Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heya all, thank you again for interest in OSM and all the great improvements.
I'll merge my responses in one post to hopefully make it easier to follow.

LOL!!! I've done similar for Waze one day there was a minor map problem. Spent a week fixing everything within 10 miles.

An interesting distinction is that your work was essentially a donation to Waze (Google), as the dataset is closed. With OSM, you and anybody else can benefit in mobile applications like maps.me and OsmAnd, various websites, or download it for professional/commercial use.
This distinction might not be crucial for everybody, but to many OSM community members it feels better to contribute to a shared good than donating to a single company :)

Side topic - if you have a Garmin GPS, did you know that you can get free maps for offline use, including routing? See Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap .
As you might have guessed, adding a street, forest path or track etc in OSM will make those appear on your Garmin devices a bit later ;)

Thanks for the tips.
I’m wondering if you can point us via a link or address to a parking lot that has been updated perfectly, and with the most possible detail.
This way, we can mirror this to what we are updating.

I’m wondering if instead of one “parking isle” per lane, we used two per lane, and illustrated them directionally, if that’s better than one. ?

Thanks

I'm not aware of a "perfectly mapped parking lot", partially because all contributors have different interests.
For example, I map parking areas, aisles and footways to ensure correct routing both for driving and walking modes. I sometimes also map grass areas (for prettier maps) and fire hydrants (because why not, and because there is a dedicated map for them).

When I was in Austin for the first time (and first time in the USA) years ago, I mapped a whole lot of parking lots with focus on those things. The ones around OpenStreetMap are not super-detailed, but at least the basics should be correct according to OSM.

As for fire hydrants, you might be able to figure out my main area of movement from Fire Hydrants :)

Now, other contributors would have different focus. People on this thread seem to care about kerbs (curbs), which is not high on my personal list. Yet other contributors would care even more about them, down to the height. Why?
Wheelchair routing.
See Key:kerb - OpenStreetMap Wiki and Wheelmap – Find wheelchair accessible places. which is dedicated to identifying wheelchair-friendly places.
If you are in a wheelchair or know somebody who is, this is a great opportunity to both raise awareness and benefit from the mapped data.
-----------------------------------
Using OSM ways (lines) per lane - in most cases that should not be done. In OSM roads are represented with two ways (lines) if they are physically separated (some barrier, grass area etc).
But there's nothing preventing you from adding lane information, see Key:lanes - OpenStreetMap Wiki . Tesla routing might or might not use it, but it's still useful detail to add.

...make two seperate lane aisle lines on the map with directional indications, or maybe change it to say a residential road with the tag that it has 2 lanes.

Please see above about tagging lanes. If a parking aisle has two lanes and is bi-directional, it should still be one OSM way (line), but you can add lanes=2. If it's oneway, you mark it as oneway=yes, and also lanes=2.
But please don't change them to residential roads, that would be wrong :)

ESRI and Maxar does not line up but the scale looks the same.

Can you do all the mapping work then do a "select all" on the entire feature set of the area and move it around?

Edit: Image offset of 4.75, -4.14 seems to line the roads up with the ESRI map which is the highest quality. I assume you have to line up with the roads right next to it.

How can you double check this in real life?

Most imagery will be offset from somewhat to a lot. The best is to collect a lot of GPS traces of streets in that area, upload them to OSM and then use that data to align imagery. That's a huge, separate topic of its own, Using Imagery - OpenStreetMap Wiki might be a good starting point.

The map of that lot seems pretty broken... There are only one-way paths exiting from the lot and no way to enter it. If you're going to mark roads as one-way you need to indicate the correct direction.

Indeed, please note that "oneway=yes" tag indicates that the way only allows travel in the direction the OSM way (line) is in. It will usually be indicated with arrow symbols on the way (line).

To the earlier mentioned OpenStreetMap tips, I would add:

Really great tips, I encourage everybody to closely follow these. See kerb/curb difference above as an example of BE/AE.

Keep in mind that as far as I know OpenStreetMap does not really offer an API for commercial use. Most likely Tesla just downloads the database and runs it on their server if they actually use it. They might also just extract the relevant features for their use. They might just do this once a month though.

Has anyone actually seen Tesla credit OpenStreetMap?

Presumably they use Mapbox services which would mean most data sourced from OSM.

I changed speed limits to the correct numbers but no show after a week and some speeds have reverted back to the original "Incorrect" speeds. Any ideas? The last time I checked the box to have someone check it in case that was my mistake. Most of my city is 50km but the map varies fro 100 down to 50..

When you say "reverted", do you mean in OSM data or somewhere else?

An interesting distinction is that your work was essentially a donation to Waze (Google), as the dataset is closed. With OSM, you and anybody else can benefit in mobile applications like maps.me and OsmAnd, various websites, or download it for professional/commercial use.
This distinction might not be crucial for everybody, but to many OSM community members it feels better to contribute to a shared good than donating to a single company :)
For the amount of use I get out of Waze, I have no problem donating time. I've fixed little things over the years for Google, Apple, OSM, Here, etc.

Wish Tesla would make their app available for edit, through OSS or other. I'd do exactly the same thing.

This. I work with OSM a lot in my day job. They may use it for display but not navigation. FYI - Mapbox uses OSM for their maps, not their own proprietary data. So what you fix in OSM ends up in Mapbox which may end up in display in your car. Someone mentioned it above.

You can also learn more about OSM editing here: LearnOSM

My team did a lot of Denver parking lots last year... so Denver drivers... you're welcome. ;)

@vespax I've read every post in this string and there is great guidance! However, I deem yours the best given the high quality project management and will now spend all of my energy trying to encourage you and your team to map the metro area of your mountain state neighbor - Salt Lake!

• Funny
Reactions: vespax
Hi all Tesla owners, and a very big, warm welcome to the OpenStreetMap community.
As an OSM community member, I have no idea about Tesla's OSM usage beyond what's in this thread, but a few tips about the map part.

First - a massive thank you for improving OSM. This being an open dataset/project (sometimes simplisticly called "Wikipedia or maps"), all contributions are highly valued. Your improvements don't go to just Tesla's, they go to Geocaching maps, Facebook maps, Strava maps (except slippy maps on mobile devices), maps.me and OsmAnd mobile applications, many (most?) hiking mapping services, PokemonGO map and many, many other locations.
One edit, and you have improved the map for dozens if not hundreds of websites, mobile applications and other services. How cool is that?

Second - my take on a few OSM-related topics from this thread.

1. ratsbew wrote: "I use "driveway" to connect the street to the lot"
This is not terribly incorrect, but "serviceway" (maybe called just "service road"?) might be a better fit for that segment. Just a nitpick :)

2. Armee_1 wrote: "The underlying maps are assumed to be by mapbox"
MapBox started out using purely OSM data. While they might have mixed in some other data sources, I believe it's mostly OSM in the USA, at least. If so, street routing could also use OSM data, and a few posters have noted that their edits to streets in OSM have resulted in improvements for routing. Note that displayed maps and background routing service have no requirement to use the same data source, and based on the comments here, tiles are not from OSM (unfortunately, for now?).

3. sheamurai shared images of their OSM improvements - looks great, thank you for contributing :)
A tiny nitpick - it's better to avoid adding names like "parking" or "driveway" - those are not real names of the entities. In OSM, tags are used to classify objects (like those parking isle, serviceway and other classifications you all used). Names would only be the real names, like street names.
On this topic, if somebody decides to add a restaurant, tag (classify) it as a restaurant, but do not append "restaurant" in the name - that's redundant and considered not the best approach in OSM. Same goes for shops and other things.

Oh, and talking about shops, pubs, restaurants... You can add all that in OSM and get it in all those websites, mobile applications and other map data consumers in one go. Consider maps.me/OsmAnd (offline maps, including routing) for your vacation trips, you might be pleasantly surprised by the coverage in a random place in Europe or Asia :)

Maybe drop by a mappy hour in a nearby pub or another event (see the event calendar at OpenStreetMap Wiki)... OSM is the "nicest" map in the world, and the community is generally very friendly, too.

Another very warm welcome and happy mapping.

Whats the best approach to adding parking lot islands and other blocking features in a parking lot ?

Manitoba Keith said:

I changed speed limits to the correct numbers but no show after a week and some speeds have reverted back to the original "Incorrect" speeds. Any ideas? The last time I checked the box to have someone check it in case that was my mistake. Most of my city is 50km but the map varies from 100 down to 50..

The first time it reverted was in OSM, so I redid it, but it seems to have changed to correct now after about a week.
Unfortunately Tesla doesn't seem to use the speeds from OSM. Correct speeds are what I really want.

Whats the best approach to adding parking lot islands and other blocking features in a parking lot ?

It's a bit hard to say without knowing how Tesla routing works. Normally, I'd expect only the ways to have impact - that is, the vehicle would not attempt off-path navigation if a routable path is found.
Of course, things get more complicated when parking lots change, other vehicles are parked so that they block some aisles etc. Presumably then something more advanced kicks in.
If Tesla would document how the OSM data is used, it would be easier to know what and how to map to help routing.

If you would like to map such objects in any case, barrier=kerb is probably a good choice, where present: Tag:barrier=kerb - OpenStreetMap Wiki .
If that area is grass, you can also mark it as such: Tag:landuse=grass - OpenStreetMap Wiki .

If the parking lot has lamp posts (and good imagery allows mapping them precisely), you can add them as Tag:highway=street_lamp - OpenStreetMap Wiki .
You even get cool visualisation like this :)
Straßenlaternen in OpenStreetMap
Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 21.54.33.png

Manitoba Keith said:

The first time it reverted was in OSM, so I redid it, but it seems to have changed to correct now after about a week.
Unfortunately Tesla doesn't seem to use the speeds from OSM. Correct speeds are what I really want.

In OSM, you can see history of any object. If they indeed were reverted, you could check which user did it and check with them.
It would be wonderful if Tesla used OSM more - if there's a place to submit feedback to them, consider suggesting full OSM data usage, which would allow you to get correct speed limits same as with the parking lot aisles.

I have the same question. I've used "curbs" and "islands", but don't know if the car cares about that or not. I haven't had a chance to try my test lot that I mapped these features in yet.

The car does a pretty good job of sensing curbs so I think the parking aisles does a good job of telling it the lay of the land.

GPS traces and ground level imagery (no peeking at Google StreetView) and can be collected by using Mapillary's phone app (they will even send you a free phone mount). Here is a how-to video. I am also looking into using Tesla's saved videos for OSM imagery.

I concur, Tesla is not pulling speed limits from OpenStreetMap. My street is 25, yet the car thinks it is 35. I added the speed limit to OpenStreetMap years ago. And last year, I reported the issue to Google via their web site and to Telsa via the bug report voice command.

I have created a feature request asking Tesla to consider using OpenStreetMap for more things. If you agree, please up-vote it...
MoreTesla

Reactions: Manitoba Keith
How do I login and update a map? TIA!!

I am more convinced then ever that smart summon is using Open Street Maps (OSM) for parking lot mapping. This has been posted before but I want to share my results. I had 2 local parking lots that smart summon was awful at. It made horrible routing decisions. I read online that Tesla might be using OSM so I checked my area. Sure enough, areas where it worked awesome we’re mapped and areas that failed were not. So I created an account and mapped my local parking lots. I just re-tested one area today and the routing completely changed. You can see in the pic to the left was before I updated. It routed the main service road all the way around. The last pic is the individual parking aisles I mapped myself. Second pic was the new routing today. I’ll try the other lot I mapped this weekend. You might want to try for yourself.

View attachment 471946
Ok. I am now 100% sure. Just tried it on the other parking lot where it wanted to route out to the Main Street...and actually tried to when summoned. It now follows the parking aisles perfectly that I drew. Move the target and give it a second to route through the server. The point of this thread is to try it out for yourself. Map those parking lots!
The image on the left is the newly planned route. The right image is the parking lot lines that I drew myself. There was nothing here at all before and summon would just draw a straight line to my target. I tried here on two different occasions that failed prior.

Ok. I am now 100% sure. Just tried it on the other parking lot where it wanted to route out to the Main Street...and actually tried to when summoned. It now follows the parking aisles perfectly that I drew. Move the target and give it a second to route through the server. The point of this thread is to try it out for yourself. Map those parking lots!
The image on the left is the newly planned route. The right image is the parking lot lines that I drew myself. There was nothing here at all before and summon would just draw a straight line to my target. I tried here on two different occasions that failed prior.
Ok, here goes and I feel pretty dumb but....how do you do this? I haven't ever heard of "mapping" a parking lot and while I can do a lot of technical things, this is something I'm just now reading about. For those of us who are less technical, can you please give us some information that would give directions etc on how to do this and how to find out WHERE to do it? I am completely lost on this mapping of parking lots. Thanks!

Ok, here goes and I feel pretty dumb but....how do you do this? I haven't ever heard of "mapping" a parking lot and while I can do a lot of technical things, this is something I'm just now reading about. For those of us who are less technical, can you please give us some information that would give directions etc on how to do this and how to find out WHERE to do it? I am completely lost on this mapping of parking lots. Thanks!
I agree need youtube step by step.

• Helpful
Reactions: CBPfromTN

That's completely understandable, new things can seem daunting at first - but I'm convinced you'll manage soon :)
In general mapping starts with OSM at OpenStreetMap .
There are various guides at LearnOSM , Beginners' guide - OpenStreetMap Wiki and elsewhere.
It is a bit of a learning curve, but if you are a technical person, it should not be a huge challenge.

I agree need youtube step by step.

There are plenty of OSM-related tutorials on Youtube, although I'm not aware of a parking lot-specific one.
As I'm not much of a video person, I haven't seen much of the videos. Still, the list at
looks like a good start (even if some tools might be outdated by now).

How does the OSM mapping work for multi-level parking garages?

In the simplest case the building and entrances/exits are mapped.
The level tag - Key:level - OpenStreetMap Wiki will help with more detail.
Support for easier editing will vary between editors, personally I've only used level switching in JOSM (offline OSM editor).

View attachment 475846 Here’s the result after mapping my frequently used parking lot.

View attachment 475847

Didn’t actually try to have it drive
How long ago did you edit the lot? It might take a while for the changes to set or be accessed by Tesla. But I do know for sure that editing OSM works, because I fixed a one-way parking aisle that was mapped incorrectly about a month ago. With Smart Summon, the car was going to go the wrong way and all around the lot to get to me. With the fix (which I tested a few days ago and worked) the car followed the correct way in the lane to get to me directly.

If you want a second pair of eyes to look at your lot, you can PM me the link or location on OSM and I can take a look. Otherwise, it might just take a little while for the changes to take effect.