Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to whomever was at the Thorncliffe Community Center the other day and let me get a picture of my son :)

QLLMiVO9HlERwpQPKrG93unnnne7rM_Nxn7QA5IuvwRewZLglFFq479v17pF5lCQaBcIEqqenzeho2BWBBKz9zKyBnsChnSlbAScPIb8oHez2t52Yx2zeARNLmjYF6zajDLOBBNTos8iAMbsv_0qVGmoE9SdU1L2ckWN0a76iIW0HBwCdurVGGrHKUJgnJfG0QOkr7n8ajyQy72Zotfi5zdkjyYOCNexV8W0DVmdjYCAwyD4mSLbihelAHQ-o2RWhhJpWkZ1_94OHyvfJngRNFlXFKcun8NbZVOtKnHRyN_VUhlp1_Ve8FJMfIxCY46stCXURgDLfhbKTtyI0b5JPcJoIttfOYQlgIGany3vjBlqCjUWFMiN47rIuYqneQJL_UEMhZUW7c90X1v1HJ0mSC__jYcGnu14YvDUdV19znGVfKiP5MbK4nDsJz3RKzJ4Lx6wdB6y24LAlXB7jOFhAViUdFxvrjUMaGoc5X87U_k4VsB1GzebfCGi-5Nox0EYfaKOIkuUFva3LiRpaPAKoDSrjn3UB1Dj9HS3F5rQmROlbzIcydPGJ18B4l1czePN3k2Q=w1835-h1033-no

I'll be sharing this in the charging section as well bit for those that don't know, the new 32 amp charging from the previous 40 amp is due to Canadian regulations. However, if you have an older plug make sure you keep your Nena 15-40 adapter as the old ones will still do 40 amps.
?? The adapter is a Nema 14-50, for one. "Canadian regulations" have nothing to do with the amperage reduction, ours are the same as the US (80% of total capacity). The amperage reduction happens because they increased the sensitivity for line fluctuations, if the charger detects what it thinks are anomalies it will dial down the amperage. This has been happening for months, it's not just the updated adapter that affects this, it's also something in the software as charging with my 6-50 adapter, which did not receive an update, will also downgrade the amperage more frequently.

?? The adapter is a Nema 14-50, for one. "Canadian regulations" have nothing to do with the amperage reduction, ours are the same as the US (80% of total capacity). The amperage reduction happens because they increased the sensitivity for line fluctuations, if the charger detects what it thinks are anomalies it will dial down the amperage. This has been happening for months, it's not just the updated adapter that affects this, it's also something in the software as charging with my 6-50 adapter, which did not receive an update, will also downgrade the amperage more frequently.
Not quite right. You are correct that this has absolutely nothing at all to do with Canadian regulations. But it IS a hardware thing Tesla has done. The new 14-50 adapters they've sent out are limited to 32A vs the American ones and old Canadian ones limited to 40A.
Only Tesla knows why, and nobody who actually knows has answered (all we've heard is the garbage about it being regulations, and that's complete BS)

There's another 14-50 adapter now, different than the grey-backed one? I take back my comment then and apologize, I didn't know about that. :confused::oops::oops:
The new ones are white, started shipping fall 2015 with all new and CPO vehicles in Canada, as well as in replacement UMC packages mailed out to many previous owners. They limit the charge current to 32A, but nobody has been able to explain why. They also have a different part number than the American 14-50 adapters which can still do 40A.

New 2016 Model S is out.
I just compared US vs CND pricing.
$110,750 USD configured car is $149,700 CND
Basically converts to a $0.74 dollar. I believe the post exchange rate is $0.78. Too bad...
What do you think of the new look?

Spoiler: I like the new nose and LED lights, but I'm not sure about the extra light stripe pointing rearward in the headlight. Really great looking car though ... it inherited a lot from the original Model S.

CBC had this on today:
Future looks bright for electric cars but Canada's infrastructure is lacking
Started with Elon unveiling the Model 3, then moved on to the sad state of EV infrastructure in Canada, with a little bit of range anxiety thrown in. At least the Peavey Mart guy was enthusiastic. :)

Last edited:
New 2016 Model S is out.
I just compared US vs CND pricing.
$110,750 USD configured car is $149,700 CND
Basically converts to a $0.74 dollar. I believe the post exchange rate is $0.78. Too bad...
That appears to be the same rate that model X is using with the new price reduction (as opposed to the 1.4? rate they started with).
They're really taking no chances of getting caught on the wrong side of the rate.

I am getting Nokian WRG3 all-weathers soon. Just thought I would put this here since I have these available in case anyone wants them for a fair price:

-Set of four summer tires NOT mounted for Model S used for about 6 months (Michelin Primacy stock from Tesla that came with the P85D) off rim. One tire has 2 nails in it but still stays inflated and was only found out while car was getting Ludicrous and annual service. Tesla doesn't do tire repairs only replacements. This can be repaired properly at Kal Tire. Once they repaired a tire on my old Subaru for $20. Give me a price for the three, the repairable tire with two nails you can have free.

-Set of four winter tires (Pirelli sottozeros) mounted by Tesla on stock Tesla rims with TPMS for the Model S used only one season for about 6 months. On the Tesla Shop website stock rims with tires cost $2500USD or $3100CAD. Give me a price that works and these can be yours.

PM me if interested. I did not post this in the general buy-sell forum because I don't want to deal with shipping and would rather sell locally.

Thanks!

While we are on the topic of tires. I took off my stock Tesla 19" Pirelli winters last week. Drove about 9,000 km on them this winter. Noticed that all four had a strange wear line around them in the same location. To me it looks like a kind of de-lamination. Perhaps a contaminant got into the rubber during manufacture. Has anyone else seen this or know why this might happen?
IMG_4888s.JPG

I sent the pictures to Vancouver SC but have not heard anything yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Footbag
While we are on the topic of tires. I took off my stock Tesla 19" Pirelli winters last week. Drove about 9,000 km on them this winter. Noticed that all four had a strange wear line around them in the same location. To me it looks like a kind of de-lamination. Perhaps a contaminant got into the rubber during manufacture. Has anyone else seen this or know why this might happen?
View attachment 172185

I sent the pictures to Vancouver SC but have not heard anything yet.

I noticed the same line when I helped another owner swap his 19" Pirelli winter tires last week. I don't have this on mine, but I have the 21" Pirelli winters.

Reactions: Footbag