Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing in particular. Thought I would bump up the topic and

Just emphasizing the point Tesla does not need to compete in the $25k-$35k Truck market and what the competition looks like where Tesla or at least Elon plan to roam.

Part of what makes that truck expensive is the diesel drivetrain. Most of those are bought by people who regularly tow horse, race, and rv trailers 100's of miles at a shot.

That's not something Tesla is competing with anytime soon.

Nothing in particular. Thought I would bump up the topic and

Just emphasizing the point Tesla does not need to compete in the $25k-$35k Truck market and what the competition looks like where Tesla or at least Elon plan to roam.

There is almost no interest by manufacturers or consumers in the $25-35k range. I just read the ATP for trucks is now $41k. Some of the hottest sellers are the premium trim levels which are $45k+. If Tesla could bring a really compelling, capable option in the $50-75k range, I think the could do well.

I totally agree. If the depicted RAM 2500 Limited with 8 foot bed and crew cab had two electric motors like the Tesla "D" instead of its Cummins Diesel engine I would jump at it, sight unseen. I love my RAM 2500 but would be glad if its Hemi engine, transmission, exhaust system and gas tank fell out on the highway at 11 mpg. Then I'd have an excuse to do a conversion to all electric. Meanwhile I'll wait for TM to design and produce one. I just hope it's not in the light duty undersized pickup class.

I'm not so sure about the pickup truck potential. I live in the heart of pickup country (i.e., Heart of Dixie). Pickup truck owners I know mostly prefer something macho (check styling of RAM, for example), heavy and noisy. The Tesla is likely to be perceived as less masculine, catering to them "college boys," rather than the local good-ol' boys. Now, if you double the size of the battery, and put it in something that really looks like a pickup, you might have something. Not sure how you're going to get the noise, though. (Digitized soundtrack from Freightliner, perhaps).

The Tesla is likely to be perceived as less masculine, catering to them "college boys," rather than the local good-ol' boys.

And that is why Elon has stated that it's not enough to have an almost as good car - or just as good car - then the competitors. They have to have a better car then all the competitors. I expect Tesla to make an pickup just as - correction: more - masculine as any others out there - except the noise and smoke. More horsepower, more torque, more speed etc...

I'm not so sure about the pickup truck potential. I live in the heart of pickup country (i.e., Heart of Dixie). Pickup truck owners I know mostly prefer something macho (check styling of RAM, for example), heavy and noisy. The Tesla is likely to be perceived as less masculine, catering to them "college boys," rather than the local good-ol' boys. Now, if you double the size of the battery, and put it in something that really looks like a pickup, you might have something. Not sure how you're going to get the noise, though. (Digitized soundtrack from Freightliner, perhaps).

Believe it or not there are people (including corporations), who actually use pick-ups and will just look at whether it works. Tesla will not be afraid to dispense with as much boxiness as possible to maximize the aerodynamics.

There is almost no interest by manufacturers or consumers in the $25-35k range. I just read the ATP for trucks is now $41k. Some of the hottest sellers are the premium trim levels which are $45k+. If Tesla could bring a really compelling, capable option in the $50-75k range, I think the could do well.

I disagree as there is a huge market for work trucks. Someone still needs to build all the stuff most of us have. My fleet manager told me today he would buy 500 EV pickups IF there was an affordable option for plant use.

Part of what makes that truck expensive is the diesel drivetrain. Most of those are bought by people who regularly tow horse, race, and rv trailers 100's of miles at a shot.

That's not something Tesla is competing with anytime soon.

It is coming Tesla "soon." Meaning 2020-2025.

The pace of battery innovation is accelerating. The cost of ICE to remain emission compliant is rising.

A Tesla full size pickup will have a lot of room for more advanced cells.

- - - Updated - - -

5345b4f43189f.jpg

How about a 4 motor AWD Truck with 2 battery packs and 2 charge ports. The 2 charge ports would be on the opposite side of the vehicle so the BIG honking truck can occupy 2 parking spots while supercharging. :) Think of a Marauder size vehicle.

As stated above, pick up truck drivers are very image conscious with "Oil rig" bumpers, big wheels, manly styling and a lot of features that are there If Ever Needed. I wonder if the path to the EV truck may be through the military or agriculture, as in Hummer or such. If once the EV truck gets that image, tough and capable, it may sell. The Mack Zap or Dodge E-Power Wagon. :smile:
The other path, a small sensible truck for utilities and light delivery - Ford Courier - will not sell with the image truckers.
~Larry

Agree with @Larry93535. Average pickup driver wants to show his manliness. However, military is a great idea. Pretty sure the Humvee is being replaced, and a similar battery powered vehicle with the battery pack underneath, wedge shaped, replaceable would have a good chance. Of course Tesla can't build such a monstrosity, but they could partner with one of the usual companies.

Musing on my post above, military EV would have a different supply line, not requiring convoys of tank trucks.
Allow me to share an OT anecdote on agricultural use and range: In the old days a farmer could run a John Deere for half a day on a filling. Mid-day the wife would bring out fuel (kerosene) and a hot lunch. After diesel engines arrived, he could run all day on a tank. This meant he had a cold lunch, packed in the morning. So it was good news but a cold lunch.
~Larry