Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla plant shut down temporarily due to downed high voltage power line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they were building some Asia or Euro cars now - they won't get delivered by 9/30 anyway. So, it depends on what was on the line going through. Could be a general mix of US and Euro that "could" make it by 9/30.

They are building a number of US cars right now, including mine!
According to the delivery spreadsheet about 75% of the cars in production right now are for the US and the others are for Europe.
Now this isn't a scientific sample as individual owners are posting on an English language site... so there is a self-selection bias.

I sure hope mine wasn't halfway through getting painted (or some other critical step in the assembly process) when the power cut out.

Not sure, Todd, regarding 'normal operation'. I can say there are many, many Saturdays that I've stopped by to charge and the manufacturing parking lot was full. That was my first clue yesterday that I wouldn't be able to charge. Empty lot. I expected it to be full, as usual.

Power may be back on, but I wonder how much damage/disruption was caused and whether or not assembly line is back in operation. Frustrating to have no info from Tesla and I have not found any fresh news stories.
Anyone local have any insights?

(edit) I see in another post that some people were getting revised forecasts even though their car had been built already, so maybe it is unrelated to the power loss.

Last edited:
(edit) I see in another post that some people were getting revised forecasts even though their car had been built already, so maybe it is unrelated to the power loss.

Could also be a transport batching thing - if one car is built but production of others that are supposed to go on the same truck is delayed, the whole truck might be scheduled for later. Just a guess though.

Another pic from Friday... Where you can see a power line laying on top of the shipping containers...

crane1.png

I don't know how robust Tesla's processes are against a power interruption, but I've heard of similar events causing multi-day to multi-week delays in other factories.

It's conceivable that this will force scrapping or manual repair of some vehicles and parts that were in continuity critical processes. Paint application and curing is one obvious example, but shutdown during a weld or with bonding agent applied to an unfitted part could also force manual intervention.

They might also have to spend time getting their tracking and automation systems back in sync before full speed production can resume.

Eh only reason I found out about it is because of a keyword trigger I have on real time news alerts lol not many outlets picked this one up. Nobody's seem to run with it yet. Surprised the Bears haven't jumped on it and start shorting and blasting around that their production numbers will be even lower than their already lowered guidelines...

Surprised the Bears haven't jumped on it and start shorting and blasting around that their production numbers will be even lower than their already lowered guidelines...

Anyone shorting on the news may be in for a surprise.
My DS sent me a note saying "The outage was in the administration building Friday, there was not an interruption to the assembly line far as I know."

My delivery status has not changed. Still says Estimated Delivery Late August - September.
Good news!