Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

I was on a 2 lane highway. No other cars on the road. Guy if front of me signalling waiting to go left. My Tesla almost rear ended him, Could've changed lane
as there no other traffic in the area
I have never seen change lane avoidance as an action, has anyone? Certainly it IS a high quality driver tactic, vs. just rapid and hard de-celeration but I don’t think the AI or FSD computer even considers this in the option tree.

Chief, speak for yourself.

When the car tried to veer into the median at 76 mph, I had to wrestle the control away in a split second. No ‘gentle pull’ there. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It is really tiring to see your constant shilling. You do realize you come across as an uncritical, highly biased Tesla shill, right?
Sucks that you had that happen. I wonder what is the cause?

Just maybe the steering assist changes with speed, driving mode, car model.
Maybe the torque sensor threshold, mechanical components such as the belt-driven steering rack are different or adjusted differently.
Maybe the software responds differently in different situations.

I love when someone says something never happens to them, means therefore everyone else is wrong. Until 2 seconds after it happens to them they completely change their tune. They could try being a little more open-minded.

If you ever figure out a pattern to the problem, let us know.

Reactions: Dewg and PerBB
I love when someone says something never happens to them, means therefore everyone else is wrong. Until 2 seconds after it happens to them they completely change their tune. They could try being a little more open-minded.
This... And also the flip side - when someone has something go wrong and therefore it must go wrong for everyone else.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Dan D.
Sucks that you had that happen. I wonder what is the cause?

Just maybe the steering assist changes with speed, driving mode, car model.
Maybe the torque sensor threshold, mechanical components such as the belt-driven steering rack are different or adjusted differently.
Maybe the software responds differently in different situations.

If you ever figure out a pattern to the problem, let us know.
There was a seam in the concrete lane. It mistook that for a lane marker and suddenly veered towards the concrete barrier in the median. Thing is, I was expecting something might happen, and was ready. Family was a bit shaken, though. It went away after a few software updates, and it occurred sometime in 2020.

EDIT: In all fairness, EAP has saved me and family another time. I was in a merging lane, about to enter the right most lane on the freeway when a complete jackass motorbike rider decided to pass me from behind, (he was behind me the whole time on the curving ramp) and merge ahead of me passing me from the left. The EAP jerked the wheel back to the right so the jackass could continue.

After reviewing the dash cam videos, I realized just how bad an accident we could have been in.

So there are good and not so good stories.

Last edited:
I was on a 2 lane highway. No other cars on the road. Guy if front of me signalling waiting to go left. My Tesla almost rear ended him, Could've changed lane
as there no other traffic in the area
When you say FSD "NAP" I presume you mean NOA "Navigate on Autopilot" (so nothing to do with FSD Beta)? As others mentioned, Teslas don't generally do full lane changes to avoid hitting cars in the front. If the car doesn't brake, it is expected for driver to brake or make avoidance maneuvers if necessary (and it sounds like car warned you to do so).

Even FSD Beta doesn't do that (closest it does is after stopping for car in front, if it determines it is a double parked car it will go around).

did he just compare a Yacht..something tangible that you get exactly what you are paying for, something that you can even resell or trade in and get (in some cases..unusual but it can happen, like current car market) MORE money than you paid sometimes..

to....FSD? SURELY there HAS to be a better comparison to go against. haha
Yes he did. Something real V a big fart.

<--- This guy only bought EAP and didn't think FSD is worth it. Instead, he put FSD money into TSLA and hopes TSLA outpaces FSD inflation.
Nice. I'll be the guy that one ups... :). I added FSD to my car loan (@2.85%) and put all the cash (down payment and FSD cash) on $TSLA.

I'm up 60% since then and I'm able to enjoy full FSD and Beta while my money outpaces my loan and still gets to take the FSD inflation .... :cool:

Another option for Tesla is to lower the cost of the FSD add-on to $1000. The take rate for FSD in the US is about 14%. Some quick back-of-the-napkin math shows that Tesla would just raise the cost of all cars by about $2200 (we can round that up to $3000 for cushion). That would give them all the FSD funds they currently take in, and expand the program to more people.

The only reason this may not work is, I believe, that they are doing some accounting procedures which allows them to hold onto the FSD money for R&D, but not realize a portion of the revenue until Autosteer on City Streets is released from beta.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just took a 2700 mile road trip relying on EAP most of the time. I am making a list of EAP failures for my 2018 S. I think I will put my issues in a separate post. My conclusion is that I expected more from EAP after all Elon's hype about FSD. It is so bad that I am considering making a complaint to NHTSA over it.
EAP isn't FSD Beta and is using the old stack. If you have a radar car, most likely you don't have Tesla vision yet either.

I will note they kept the EAP price the same, the price increase this time only applied to FSD.

Reactions: RISC601