Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One can drive to the local Tesla SC and use their free wifi, which I have done a few times this year.

But most times I don’t want to drive the 17 minutes to that facility because the final one km long access road to that facility also is the main feeder road for a huge gravel pit…and any moisture turns that section of road into mud bogging.
All stop… I’m know there are Starbucks in Canada. Just park near the glass where you get a signal.

How about this?

I've never tried to connect a Tesla to a public WiFi system, but are there problems doing so when there is a sign-on web page required? Does the car bring that up in the web browser?
From the owner's manuals:

Note
....does not currently support connections to captive Wi-Fi networks (a captive Wi-Fi, commonly used by public hotspots, requires you to access a custom web portal and agree to terms of service prior to allowing you to log in).

FYI: If anyone is holding off on updating and accidentally connected to WiFi, if you go into service mode to "software reinstall" it will clear the downloaded update. Obviously do so at your own risk yada yada and you can't undo anything you already installed; only clear what you haven't yet.
Thank you!!

Travelled 1200 miles for the holiday weekend and upon reaching a supercharger in NJ, the vehicle connected to WiFi at the charging station on its own(!!) and downloaded the update. Afterwards, I'd get an annoying pop up to schedule/install/close the update every time I park thte vehicle. Fixed that issue this morning by following the quoted steps via the service menu. Can confirm it works, now all I see is the "connect to wifi to download update" section in the Tesla app again. Still running 2023.44.1 and all is good now :cool:

Thank you to the moderators who removed post 785 at my request.

It contained misinformation and I wanted it removed because my mistaken interpretation has been explained to me by other members. You'll see their responses to my post, and there's nothing we can do about that, but I didn't want my original post to be used in future as 'proof' that tesla pushes and installs updates.

I still believe that to be true, and I still wait for proof of that with the current update (whatever number that might end up being as I see .6 seems to be replaced by .7 which is part of the reason why I put off updates for as long as possible.) But I misinterpreted something I saw in Teslafi so have yet to have the proof I seek.

We are fortunate to have such responsive moderators on TMC.

FYI: If anyone is holding off on updating and accidentally connected to WiFi, if you go into service mode to "software reinstall" it will clear the downloaded update. Obviously do so at your own risk yada yada and you can't undo anything you already installed; only clear what you haven't yet.
I'm afraid this is one of the things that may cause Tesla to remove owner access from Service Mode in the future. :(

Smart move.

While detailing my TM3 in the no-wifi-available parking garage this morning, I tethered the car to my phone as I saw another “update is available“ icon in the upper right corner of the UI.

I missed the precautionary text saying I’m at 90% of my data as well as the “you have exceeded 100% of your data” text.

Turns out it’s another nav update (second one this month); the $25 per gigabit overage surcharge will go up on my TM3 total operating costs spreadsheet as an operating cost, “data”. Sigh.
Is limited Internet data service the only service available in Canada? Or is unlimited super expensive?

$25/gigabit is straight thuggery. Sounds as bad as Pacific Gouge & Extort electricity rates!

How do you stream hockey? :)

This is continues controlling and conditioning of people. It started with covid and we will be fully controlled in few years by governments, auto makers, etc. that we won't even notice as they will implement things slowly one-by-one with explanation how it's all good for us.
I didn't buy Tesla to be controlled. I said "buy", if I was given the car for free then they can control it, condition or do whatever they can but what I buy is mine, period!
Here, you can use this.

This is continues controlling and conditioning of people. It started with covid and we will be fully controlled in few years by governments, auto makers, etc. that we won't even notice as they will implement things slowly one-by-one with explanation how it's all good for us.
I didn't buy Tesla to be controlled. I said "buy", if I was given the car for free then they can control it, condition or do whatever they can but what I buy is mine, period!
I was planning to get another Tesla but how they started looks like not only that I won't buy another one but will have to get rid of this one.
This is sad and shame, Tesla owners (and any other affected owners) should wake up and stand up for their privacy amd rights.
Yes privacy as well... Do you believe when they say internal cabin camera doesn't leave your car?
Think again!
It started with COVID? Do you realize that through fossil fuel subsidies that have gone on for over 100 years, you have had everything you rent, buy or own "directed" by the government, and so have your parents and maybe grandparents.

That big ICE pickup that just passed you would probably not exist if fossil fuels were not heavily subsidized.

It started with COVID? Do you realize that through fossil fuel subsidies that have gone on for over 100 years, you have had everything you rent, buy or own "directed" by the government, and so have your parents and maybe grandparents.

That big ICE pickup that just passed you would probably not exist if fossil fuels were not heavily subsidized.
The data collecting on phones (which is much more extensive than in cars, given most people have it on them literally 24/7, which is almost never the case with cars) have also been occurring well before covid.

OMG, I, too, learned the hard way that NAV updates are the big data ones. In my case, I had enough data (it was an annual data prepurchase cuz I'm on prepaid) but it hit my personally set data warning for the month first (and required an OK to proceed) so sat there for a while until I noticed. It stopped the second time when it hit my personal data cap for the month, but by then I was paying closer attention so it only held me up by a couple of minutes (the first time it was over 10 minutes of no progress on the download.)

The tesla ownership is what pushed me off my dirt cheap $15 a month cell phone with 250mB of data a month to 60GB prepaid for the year. I've stuck with prepaid because it gives me pay as I go roaming in the US (with the US minutes/texts/data I buy and that don't expire.)
Have this for my kids and my ipad, Shameless referral gets you extra 10 off. Good2Go Mobile | Prepaid Cell Phone Plans
1 gig 4g/5g data, unlimited text and unlimited talk ~$5/month if prepaid a year. After the high speed is gone, it drops down to 128kbps (2g) speeds. With some app tweaks, the kids can still watch a highly compressed netflix stream on that. Good enough. Originally found them as I needed a data plan for my ipad to load apps for flying/pilot.

Is limited Internet data service the only service available in Canada? Or is unlimited super expensive?

$25/gigabit is straight thuggery. Sounds as bad as Pacific Gouge & Extort electricity rates!

How do you stream hockey? :)
My home system (11 floors up) is unlimited data for $59/month including all taxes, fees and surcharges.

My mobile plan is 10 gigs a month for $51/month including all taxes, fees and surcharges.

Anything over that 10 gigs is the penalty box…at $25 (plus tax) per gig.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The data collecting on phones (which is much more extensive than in cars, given most people have it on them literally 24/7, which is almost never the case with cars) have also been occurring well before covid.
I am not necessarily talking about collecting data, I know that is all around us. I am referring to limiting or punishing consumers who are not good boys or if they don't agree with whoever makes the rules.
Why do we have police then if cars themselves are going to dictate how we drive.
Not all but some of you guys will understand my point.

Reactions: ph0ton
I am not necessarily talking about collecting data, I know that is all around us. I am referring to limiting or punishing consumers who are not good boys or if they don't agree with whoever makes the rules.
Why do we have police then if cars themselves are going to dictate how we drive.
So, let's stick to your point which, paraphrasing slightly, we have, "The cars are going to dictate how we drive. Those who don't follow the dictates will be limited in what they can do or punished."

So, on what I'll call your side for the moment, you'd like for the car not to tell you what to do. You'd like not to have any dictates. At this point I think I might be putting words in your mouth, but you'd like not to have any driver monitoring. If Tesla is going to give the car FSD-like capabilities, then you'd get to use them the way you'd like to use them, No Rules.

So, if you're a conscientious type who pays attention to your driving in any case, you'd be done with the nags and have this nifty tool to make your driving life more enjoyable. And if one believes Tesla's hype on safety, might actually be a safer drive; all that automatic stuff would help the car avoid out-of-control drivers and wayward deer.

Nice thought. And, if every single driver was conscientious, the population of drivers out there would also be safer as a whole, and that'd be a win-win, with no nags.

There is, as I'm sure you all have spotted, a hole with this argument, above, that I'm putting into your mouth. And that's the bit where I stated, "If ever single driver was conscientious.."

That's pretty much a fallacy. Worse yet, it's one of those fallacies that even demonstrably bad drivers pull out in their own defense, because it's a natural human trait that any driver always thinks that they're better than all the other drivers out there. (That is, everybody's worse than I am, etc.)

Now, One Of These Days, Tesla's going to come out with an autopilot worth the actual name and the nominal driver, with Tesla's and the NHTSA's blessings, can go to sleep until the driver gets to their destination. But Until That Day, there's two blinking obvious problems:
  • The underlying car hardware has, at the moment, built-in faults in its ability to drive across the landscape without human intervention. Thus, the car needs to have human intervention from time to time for the drive to stay safe.
  • There's an inexhaustible supply of idiots in the human population who will try to let the car drive at all times or in appropriate places where intervention is required.
As a result, right this minute, there are dead bodies lying around that, frankly, shouldn't be. And, at this time, with this collection of car hardware and software that requires human intervention from time to time, Not Paying Attention is taking Deadly risks.

So what? What do we care if people do tryouts for the Darwin Awards? Personal responsibility, right?

Except that the idiots in cars aren't going to kill just themselves. It'll be their loved ones in those cars as well. And, worse yet, it'll be innocent third parties also on the roads that'll feel the effects of loss of life, dismembership, and all that. It's why there's severe penalties for drunk driving: It's not that the drunks die (which they don't always), but the people that the drunks kill. And, in the end, it's the rest of us who end up paying for this, be it with increased insurance rates, government disability payments (for life, sometimes) for those maimed and unable, as a result, to work, and so on.

That's a societal problem that the NHTSA, a government agency, created by our elected representatives, is chartered to do something about. They and Tesla have come to the conclusion that some form of a Nanny State, where a strong attempt to Make Drivers Pay Attention, is called for, and that's why NHTSA thing is a recall.

I guess one could argue that, say, in the 1950's, if the computers had been available to do that kind of driving monitoring been around, the NHTSA (or whatever was around at the time) might have mandated the use of said computers. But, since they weren't available then, they didn't get mandated.

Speaking along these lines, I believe I've heard recently that the NHTSA is calling for breathalyzers in new cars one of these days.. Yep.

So, it's coming. Welcome to the Nanny State, presumably with fewer dead bodies.

Now, one might argue that Tesla's implementation of a driver monitoring system might be faulty.. but, seeing as I drive around the landscape with one and haven't had much trouble with it, at all, I think there's not much there.

So, I put up a straw man and knocked it down. Please tell me where I'm wrong in this.

Reactions: navguy12
Driver monitoring is required for any L2 system. The only one without it is Infiniti's which somehow slipped out of NHTSA notice. Arguably camera based systems (as long as they tune out false positives) are better than the existing hands-on-wheel implementation given less likelihood of false positives (some people haven't figured out how to satisfy the wheel nag naturally, although many have). Currently Tesla seems to be doing an either-or (you can tape up camera and AP will still work).

The nags are a direct result of irresponsible users that don't pay attention to the road when using the system and now everyone else has to suffer for it. If everyone used L2 systems responsibly, they wouldn't be necessary, but that is far from the case.

Reactions: DrGriz and navguy12
The last time you went for a drive which side of the road did you drive on? Did you obey the government's 'mind control' signage and obey traffic lights and stop signs? And who sez Ottawa is east of Toronto; they're just messing with us!

I say it's time to get rid of government control over roads and hwys and we should all drive the way we want!

So, let's stick to your point which, paraphrasing slightly, we have, "The cars are going to dictate how we drive. Those who don't follow the dictates will be limited in what they can do or punished."

So, on what I'll call your side for the moment, you'd like for the car not to tell you what to do. You'd like not to have any dictates. At this point I think I might be putting words in your mouth, but you'd like not to have any driver monitoring. If Tesla is going to give the car FSD-like capabilities, then you'd get to use them the way you'd like to use them, No Rules.

So, if you're a conscientious type who pays attention to your driving in any case, you'd be done with the nags and have this nifty tool to make your driving life more enjoyable. And if one believes Tesla's hype on safety, might actually be a safer drive; all that automatic stuff would help the car avoid out-of-control drivers and wayward deer.

Nice thought. And, if every single driver was conscientious, the population of drivers out there would also be safer as a whole, and that'd be a win-win, with no nags.

There is, as I'm sure you all have spotted, a hole with this argument, above, that I'm putting into your mouth. And that's the bit where I stated, "If ever single driver was conscientious.."

That's pretty much a fallacy. Worse yet, it's one of those fallacies that even demonstrably bad drivers pull out in their own defense, because it's a natural human trait that any driver always thinks that they're better than all the other drivers out there. (That is, everybody's worse than I am, etc.)

Now, One Of These Days, Tesla's going to come out with an autopilot worth the actual name and the nominal driver, with Tesla's and the NHTSA's blessings, can go to sleep until the driver gets to their destination. But Until That Day, there's two blinking obvious problems:
  • The underlying car hardware has, at the moment, built-in faults in its ability to drive across the landscape without human intervention. Thus, the car needs to have human intervention from time to time for the drive to stay safe.
  • There's an inexhaustible supply of idiots in the human population who will try to let the car drive at all times or in appropriate places where intervention is required.
As a result, right this minute, there are dead bodies lying around that, frankly, shouldn't be. And, at this time, with this collection of car hardware and software that requires human intervention from time to time, Not Paying Attention is taking Deadly risks.

So what? What do we care if people do tryouts for the Darwin Awards? Personal responsibility, right?

Except that the idiots in cars aren't going to kill just themselves. It'll be their loved ones in those cars as well. And, worse yet, it'll be innocent third parties also on the roads that'll feel the effects of loss of life, dismembership, and all that. It's why there's severe penalties for drunk driving: It's not that the drunks die (which they don't always), but the people that the drunks kill. And, in the end, it's the rest of us who end up paying for this, be it with increased insurance rates, government disability payments (for life, sometimes) for those maimed and unable, as a result, to work, and so on.

That's a societal problem that the NHTSA, a government agency, created by our elected representatives, is chartered to do something about. They and Tesla have come to the conclusion that some form of a Nanny State, where a strong attempt to Make Drivers Pay Attention, is called for, and that's why NHTSA thing is a recall.

I guess one could argue that, say, in the 1950's, if the computers had been available to do that kind of driving monitoring been around, the NHTSA (or whatever was around at the time) might have mandated the use of said computers. But, since they weren't available then, they didn't get mandated.

Speaking along these lines, I believe I've heard recently that the NHTSA is calling for breathalyzers in new cars one of these days.. Yep.

So, it's coming. Welcome to the Nanny State, presumably with fewer dead bodies.

Now, one might argue that Tesla's implementation of a driver monitoring system might be faulty.. but, seeing as I drive around the landscape with one and haven't had much trouble with it, at all, I think there's not much there.

So, I put up a straw man and knocked it down. Please tell me where I'm wrong in this.
You shouldn't feed the trolls.