Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For ICE cars, Texas will still require an emissions test. And, EV owners get to pay an extra $200 registration fee to make up for the gas taxes we aren't paying.
Only 18 of Texas' 254 counties require emissions testing for ICEVs.

I am not opposed to the $200 EV registration fee. In 2022, the last full year I used an ICEV as a daily driver, I used 750.56 gallons of gasoline and paid $0.384 per gallon in taxes, which was $288.22. $200 seems like a relative bargain. :)

I am not opposed to the $200 EV registration fee. In 2022, the last full year I used an ICEV as a daily driver, I used 750.56 gallons of gasoline and paid $0.384 per gallon in taxes, which was $288.22. $200 seems like a relative bargain. :)
Ive always said any taxes on any energy used for surface transportation that are meant to maintain the surface transportation system should be abolished.

The funds should be raised via the progressive income tax.

Even if one doesn’t own a vehicle, one’s standard of living still depends on the availability of goods and services that travel to one’s home via use of the surface transportation system.

I understand the reasons for the tax, but, I pay $300 per year for unlimited home charging for each of my Teslas. $200 EV tax seems like a relative rip-off.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Ive always said any taxes on any energy used for surface transportation that are meant to maintain the surface transportation system should be abolished.

The funds should be raised via the progressive income tax.

Even if one doesn’t own a vehicle, one’s standard of living still depends on the availability of goods and services that travel to one’s home via use of the surface transportation system.
That's not an option in Texas. We have no income tax and are very unlikely ever to have one.

I thought software updates aren't real recalls?
I do wonder why they decided to classify this is a recall. I'm sure they've done software updates in response to issues they've found in deployed robotaxis before and they've had numerous collisions before.
The article does not say Waymo fixes the bug OTA. Maybe they have to bring the cars to the shop to perform software update. If that's true then it's a recall.

I thought software updates aren't real recalls?
I do wonder why they decided to classify this is a recall. I'm sure they've done software updates in response to issues they've found in deployed robotaxis before and they've had numerous collisions before.
It'll be because they've identified a serious safety defect that has to be fixed. It'll be a recall because they can't not install it on any vehicles in their fleet.

It'll be because they've identified a serious safety defect that has to be fixed. It'll be a recall because they can't not install it on any vehicles in their fleet.
They claim that there was no interruption in service so they must not have thought it was that serious.
The article does not say Waymo fixes the bug OTA. Maybe they have to bring the cars to the shop to perform software update. If that's true then it's a recall.

All the cars go to a depot to be cleaned, etc.
If they did it with WiFi there would it be considered OTA or does it need to be cellular?
Anyway it sounds like we’re going to be seeing a lot of Waymo recalls if they do one every time they address a safety issue now.

They claim that there was no interruption in service so they must not have thought it was that serious.

All the cars go to a depot to be cleaned, etc.
If they did it with WiFi there would it be considered OTA or does it need to be cellular?
Anyway it sounds like we’re going to be seeing a lot of Waymo recalls if they do one every time they address a safety issue now.
Do a voluntary recall quickly to prevent a NHTSA investiagation?

And in my never-ending wait to see if tesla will download the recall to my car via LTE, I see that once again an update has been rescinded and so my car won't be getting 2023.44.30.8. For those keeping count, that's the third time an update was made available and then was pulled.

I'm now up to 2023.44.30.14 which includes both recalls. (That was offered on Feb 15th, I just don't pay close attention so didn't notice, when I was in the car since then I was too busy using it to go from point A to B to bother looking.)

And so now I wait to see what will happen if I continue waiting. At least I know that at some point, when I do update, I'll be getting both recalls with one update. In the meantime, the hours saved by not updating continue to increase.

And in my never-ending wait to see if tesla will download the recall to my car via LTE, I see that once again an update has been rescinded and so my car won't be getting 2023.44.30.8. For those keeping count, that's the third time an update was made available and then was pulled.

I'm now up to 2023.44.30.14 which includes both recalls. (That was offered on Feb 15th, I just don't pay close attention so didn't notice, when I was in the car since then I was too busy using it to go from point A to B to bother looking.)

And so now I wait to see what will happen if I continue waiting. At least I know that at some point, when I do update, I'll be getting both recalls with one update. In the meantime, the hours saved by not updating continue to increase.

Don't do it. I did and I still hate it. Have to hold the wheel down hard for up to 15 seconds to avoid red hands beep and muting your music. Although maybe cars with interior camera are doing something different. But it's intolerable on my car.

Reactions: ph0ton
And in my never-ending wait to see if tesla will download the recall to my car via LTE ....the hours saved by not updating continue to increase.
Tesla will eventually send over LTE but has a lot of time (many months after you get the letter) since a recall is based on "old school" scheduling and servicing at the service center for all cars one at a time. Also you say you are saving hours by not updating????? How do you calculate this? I don't have WiFi and live in a high rise (26 floors above my car) and must go down, move my car and connect my iPhone. It takes me <10 minutes to go down move car, connect to iPhone and go back up. Then <10 minutes to repeat the process and hit install. So in my extreme case it takes less than 20 minutes for an update.

What do you do that takes hours?

Last edited:
Tesla will eventually send over LTE but has a lot of time (many months after you get the letter) since a recall is based on "old school" scheduling and servicing at the service center for all cars one at a time. Also you say you are saving hours by not updating????? How do you calculate this? I don't have WiFi and live in a high rise (26 floors above my car) and must go down, move my car and connect my iPhone. It takes me <10 minutes to go down move car, connect to iPhone and go back up. Then <10 minutes to repeat the process and hit install. So in my extreme case it takes less than 20 minutes for an update.

What do you do that takes hours?
If you read the thread you’ll see that @SidetrackedSue can’t do that because of not having unlimited cell phone data.

There's no interruption in service when Tesla does an OTA to fix a recall either.

What made it a serious defect is that it was a clear case where the car crashes. It didn't just stop confused. But the NHTSA isn't going to shut them down for an edge case when Waymo responded proactively.

Contrary to the panic and hand-waving early in this thread, the NHTSA isn't a nannying killjoy. It's very supportive of ADAS and AVs.

I don't either. I use Mint and have the 15GB plan. Updates run from a couple of hundred MB to about 4GB. Map (Navigation Data file) is a larger update and uses about 5 to 7GB.
It's difficult to own and maintain a software-defined automobile if it does not have good connectivity. Tesla could offer a Premium+ connectivity option that provides timely software updates via the car's cellular modem. This would make it much easier for apartment/condo dwellers who must park outside of wifi range.