Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls entire Model S fleet for seat belts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The email message actually said they'd be sending regular mail as well, but that we didn't need to wait to receive it.

Ha, good point, I read right past that. I wonder if they're required by law to send regular mail for a safety recall. Wouldn't surprise me, though it would be nice if they're allowed to skip mailing anyone who has already had their inspection. I can imagine getting a letter a few weeks from now and thinking, "what, a safety recall?" before realizing I already dealt with it. :)

As far as missing emails go, I got mine in a gmail account, so if gmail decided to throttle or block at some point then I guess I was just early in the batch.

Meanwhile, back to topic…
I went to the Costa Mesa SC today to have the tensioners inspected - with no problem found, of course. The inspectors told me that they were contract workers brought in solely to do inspections. Presumably, this method was chosen so that the normal work flow of the SCs will not be adversely affected by hundreds of owners dropping in for inspections.

Okay, enough about that. Moving on...
My parents got their cars inspected today, no problem found.
Given the fact that thousands of cars have been inspected and not a single problem has been found, my level of concern about this issue is vanishingly small, and in fact I forgot to check my S today. I'll do it tomorrow...

Ha, good point, I read right past that. I wonder if they're required by law to send regular mail for a safety recall. Wouldn't surprise me, though it would be nice if they're allowed to skip mailing anyone who has already had their inspection. I can imagine getting a letter a few weeks from now and thinking, "what, a safety recall?" before realizing I already dealt with it. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. A great way to save on mailing costs when they can look at which cars have that box checked off in 1-2 weeks and then hit "mail merge." That said, they had problems with the Supercharger abuse emails, so I also wouldn't be surprised if they mail them in 1-2 weeks to people who already had it done in their cars.

Best service experience ever! Drove to center, guy waiting with clipboard, he took keys, I went inside and asked for a wash (I know you OCD ppl don't but I figure if I can't let them wash it then what's the point?), made a Keurig and before it was done guy was back with form to sign saying 'all okay.' Oh, and in CA they are also required to check tire pressure. Learn something new every day. Out the door about 20 mins later with safe, cleaned and vacuumed car. Namaste.

Bye bye, Ferrari. Bye bye, MBZ.

We don't have a service center open in Indy yet, but do have a service department here which sends out rangers. After getting the email on Friday, I thought I would wait a bit as I did not want to drive to the nearest service center in Cincinnatti. On Sunday , Tesla service called me and said they had techs at the local Tesla store to do the inspection. I went in and was done in less than 5 minutes.

Best service experience ever! Drove to center, guy waiting with clipboard, he took keys, I went inside and asked for a wash (I know you OCD ppl don't but I figure if I can't let them wash it then what's the point?), made a Keurig and before it was done guy was back with form to sign saying 'all okay.' Oh, and in CA they are also required to check tire pressure. Learn something new every day. Out the door about 20 mins later with safe, cleaned and vacuumed car. Namaste.

Bye bye, Ferrari. Bye bye, MBZ.

Pretty much the exact same experience I had today at the Costa Mesa SC.

Also, the advisor told me over 10,000 cars had been checked already without a single occurrence of the seat belt issue being found

This kind of makes me think this was just a brilliant marketing scheme and not a real "recall".

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

I thought the exact same thing.

I met with some friends this weekend, and one of them goes " I heard Tesla is doing a recall of all their cars, what's up with that?" and I explained that it happened to 1 car in EU, and that no one was hurt, and they're being overly cautious, and the persons attitude was "o wow, that's really impressive for an auto-manufacturer to do that"

I thought the exact same thing.

I met with some friends this weekend, and one of them goes " I heard Tesla is doing a recall of all their cars, what's up with that?" and I explained that it happened to 1 car in EU, and that no one was hurt, and they're being overly cautious, and the persons attitude was "o wow, that's really impressive for an auto-manufacturer to do that"

The speed in which they had the MY TESLA website built out to make/take SC reservations; the pre-printed forms that all the SCs had at the ready, hiring contractors to do the adjustments at Superchargers, all the training of the service center staff (even though it's a minor procedure) -- All of that takes at least a little bit of planning -- ESPECIALLY communicating with the service centers, which is one of Tesla's weakest links -- seems to me that all of that was pre-planned well in advance of the "recall".

The speed in which they had the MY TESLA website built out to make/take SC reservations; the pre-printed forms that all the SCs had at the ready, hiring contractors to do the adjustments at Superchargers, all the training of the service center staff (even though it's a minor procedure) -- All of that takes at least a little bit of planning -- ESPECIALLY communicating with the service centers, which is one of Tesla's weakest links -- seems to me that all of that was pre-planned well in advance of the "recall".

According to Reuters it was discovered by a customer in early November. That's plenty of time to put together a plan. Also, it would be too risky. The customer and others in the "conspiracy" would know the true facts and could leak it not to mention the unknown impact to the stock price. Seems a little far fetched but stranger things have happened.

According to Reuters it was discovered by a customer in early November. That's plenty of time to put together a plan. Also, it would be too risky. The customer and others in the "conspiracy" would know the true facts and could leak it not to mention the unknown impact to the stock price. Seems a little far fetched but stranger things have happened.

Tesla is very tight lipped with regards to pretty much everything. When's the last time a Tesla employee leaked something? Leaked Model X specs? Leaked Model 3 specs? Leaked Model S updates? Nope, doesn't happen.

I'm not saying this is a conspiracy. I'm just saying it's absolutely not out of the realm of possibility.

Instead of being suspicious there may be some conspiracy theory, perhaps we should consider that Tesla is learning from the past, beginning to grow-up from being just a "start-up", and becoming more proactive in their contingency planning.

...that's what I and some of my teams were in-part responsible for -- creating, maintaining and doing annual walk-throughs of procedures with key parties across a global company encompassing many locations and thousands of mobile employees and contractors -- dealing with emergency planning for hurricanes and other disasters that may impact our customers or our service to them, health epidemics (remember avian flu?), various system centers becoming unavailable for whatever reason, and all the communications, processes, and contact lists maintained in one place to make things happen in relatively short order. When a specific situation occurred, or we anticipated it may, the leadership teams could huddle, determine any specifics, then put the plans into action very quickly while executing pre-determined plans with more precision, opposed to if we had to start building everything from scratch at the spur of the moment, with all the additional problems that would entail.

With the timeframes this seems to have occurred, I'd prefer to think Tesla both burnt the midnight oil, but also had some amount of general contingency planning already in place to facilitate what needed to be done. I otherwise doubt they could have executed as well as they seem to be.

Yikes! I never said "conspiracy"!! I think I said it was "brilliant marketing"!

wow-that-escalated-quickly.png

That's true you didn't, I did. I put it in quotes because it would need to be either untrue or unlawful and more than one person would need to be involved. That wasn't said by anyone here, sorry. I just thought while possible it was far fetched even as a marketing event. Is that picture of Will Ferrell from Anchorman?