Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From where and what were the charges?

Tesla mobile service for $175. I only mentioned my winter wheels/tires after the tech arrived and he was more than fine with mounting them at no additional cost. He only cautioned that he had no means of inflating the tires to the right pressure. He also told me that he had recently serviced brakes for a senior who also wanted his winters mounted at the same time. He helped bring up wheels/tires from a locker before installing, all at no charge. Good guy!

Is this just needed for cars in extremely cold climates (see most of you are in the NE US and Canada)? Or also for Seattle climates? I would call the service center to ask but can’t ever get them to answer.

The tech that worked on my car said that Model 3 brakes don’t come pre-lubed from the factory. So ideally, in cold climates where roads are salted, you would have the brakes lubed before the first winter since the major benefit of lube is anti-corrosion and anti-seize. He suggested that the initial lube is the most important one, then you can probably get away with biannual service after.

The tech that worked on my car said that Model 3 brakes don’t come pre-lubed from the factory. So ideally, in cold climates where roads are salted, you would have the brakes lubed before the first winter since the major benefit of lube is anti-corrosion and anti-seize. He suggested that the initial lube is the most important one, then you can probably get away with biannual service after.

This is also what my MST (mobile service tech) said to me: "I wish Tesla would not dry-pack the caliper pins during assembly, as it leaves them susceptible to winter salt and ice on our roads. Once they are lubed, the service may be done every other year if your interim mileage is under 20K km".

For those who booked the brake cleaning & lubrication through the app, how and when did you get your $175 quote? I booked my appt via the app (I selected 'maintenance' and then specifically wrote 'brake cleaning and lubrication') but I just want to make sure it'll be $175 and not something else. I'm in Montreal for what it's worth.

For those who booked the brake cleaning & lubrication through the app, how and when did you get your $175 quote? I booked my appt via the app (I selected 'maintenance' and then specifically wrote 'brake cleaning and lubrication') but I just want to make sure it'll be $175 and not something else. I'm in Montreal for what it's worth.

I think it is a Tesla standard rate. I have just paid the same amount in Mississauga.

I was charged full price $112 for the winter tire swap because they were 2 different operations (???) I told the guy that he would need to take the tire off to do break service anyway but he refused to give me any credit to do 2 services at the same time. Next time I do tire swap at my local shop for $40 then.

Reactions: seanns32

they sent me a quote in email first with the details on an invoice and a button to accept it before the scheduled date. So schedule it then they will contact you with price

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
they sent me a quote in email first with the details on an invoice and a button to accept it before the scheduled date. So schedule it then they will contact you with price
ok thanks yeah just got the same thing. The $175 for brake cleaning/lubrication was listed in the quote I got, but also was a $43.75 'additional work required - corrosion present - light'....did you have this? My car is brand new (6,000km) so im guessing I dont have any corrosion....fair to say they throw in this $43.75 estimate in case the mobile tech has to do additional work?

and then i likely wont get charged the $43.75 assuming there's no corrosion present?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
ok thanks yeah just got the same thing. The $175 for brake cleaning/lubrication was listed in the quote I got, but also was a $43.75 'additional work required - corrosion present - light'....did you have this? My car is brand new (6,000km) so im guessing I dont have any corrosion....fair to say they throw in this $43.75 estimate in case the mobile tech has to do additional work?

and then i likely wont get charged the $43.75 assuming there's no corrosion present?
The 43.75 works out to an extra 15 min of labor (175/h is Tesla's rate). Strange they add it like that. Maybe they have seen some jobs take 1.25 hours...

The extra $43.75 sounds odd. My $175 service included cleaning the pads with a wire brush, removing light surface corrosion (which there was very little of). In fact, this was the only “cleaning” done. My quote prior to the service was $175 and I paid $175.

I think it is a Tesla standard rate. I have just paid the same amount in Mississauga.

I was charged full price $112 for the winter tire swap because they were 2 different operations (???) I told the guy that he would need to take the tire off to do break service anyway but he refused to give me any credit to do 2 services at the same time. Next time I do tire swap at my local shop for $40 then.

Strange as I got my service in Mississauga and got tire swap with no extra cost.

just spoke to the guy nicely and he told me it was up to them but he was cool about it