Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, remain connected to wifi, and more - 2021.24.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got notified about an update now, but it's 2021.4.21.3...
Where the **** is the big V10 update?

Yeah that's a new version. A big chunk of 2021.4.18.11 people got moved to 2021.12.25.7. Those that didn't now seem to be going to 2021.4.21.3 instead for whatever reason. Suspect it's a problem with 2021.12.25.7 and dialing new people down. When you look at what's going to what version don't seem to have anything to do with year, model, or hardware.

Yeah that's a new version. A big chunk of 2021.4.18.11 people got moved to 2021.12.25.7. Those that didn't now seem to be going to 2021.4.21.3 instead for whatever reason. Suspect it's a problem with 2021.12.25.7 and dialing new people down. When you look at what's going to what version don't seem to have anything to do with year, model, or hardware.

The release notes were "bugfixes", nothing else

The release notes were "bugfixes", nothing else
In US anyway, depending on location, car, and hardware there is more listed in the release notes besides "bugfixes". Many of the changes are region limited, and most limited to Vision cars without Radar.

2021.4.21.3 Release Notes

Minor Fixes
Model S Model 3 Model X Model Y
Available Worldwide
This release contains minor bug fixes and improvements.

Autopilot Improvements
Model S Model 3 Model X Model Y
TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control)
Available only in certain regions

Visual and audible feedback has been improved when Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is engaged. As a reminder, please continue to pay constant attention while using Driver Assistance features.

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
Model 3 Model Y
Vision Only Limited By Geo/HW

To improve safety, Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to steer your vehicle back into the driving lane if a potential collision is detected. When emergency steering intervention occurs, the designated lane line is highlighted in red, a warning on the touchscreen is displayed, and a chime will sound. This setting is always enabled when you start your vehicle but can be turned off for a single drive by going to Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.

Smart Summon
Model 3 Model Y
Vision Only Limited By Geo/HW

Smart Summon is designed to allow your car to drive to you (using your phone's GPS as a target destination) or a location of your choosing, maneuvering around and stopping for objects as necessary. Like Summon, Smart Summon is only intended for use in private parking lots and driveways. You are still responsible for your car and must monitor it and its surroundings at all times within your line of sight because it may not detect all obstacles. Be especially careful around quick moving people, bicycles, and cars.

To access the feature in your Tesla mobile app, tap Summon then tap the Smart Summon icon. To activate Smart Summon, press and hold the COME TO ME button. Alternatively, tap the target icon, set the target destination of your choice by adjusting the map, and then press and hold the GO TO TARGET button. You can stop your car from driving at any time by releasing the button.

Note: Smart Summon requires the latest version of the Tesla mobile app (3.10.0 or later). Please refer to the Owner's Manual for additional details about this feature.

I really hope ELDA getting set to on every new drive does not propagate to the older cars (and also becomes optional in the vision cars). They tried that crap when they first introduced it but finally relented after a ton of complaints and let us set set it to always off. Diffidently not a setting appropriate for all driving locations or needs.

Is there a method of how the updates roll out? I have chosen Advanced in the settings since I first got my car.
undoubtedly there IS a method - its just that none us have any insight into it.
But to help set an expectation for you - in the 90 updates my car has had so far the stats are . . . .
Average 13 days between updates
Max time between updates is 42 days
Average 3 days from discovery to install - at one point there were 9 newer versions than the one in my car.
Max 13 days from discovery to install, but there are lots of times where it got updates as soon as it was spotted (21 zero day installs).
One day it got two updates, one in the morning another in the evening.

This particular (2021.24) update does seem to be particularly elusive with (so far) only @McFlurri knowing someone who has this version, plus whoever posted it on Reddit - so that's at least two cars :cool:
But don't worry, it will be rolled out or replaced soon enough.

But to help set an expectation for you - in the 90 updates my car has had so far the stats are . . . .
Average 3 days from discovery to install - at one point there were 9 newer versions than the one in my car.
Max 13 days from discovery to install, but there are lots of times where it got updates as soon as it was spotted (21 zero day installs).

This particular (2021.24) update does seem to be particularly elusive with (so far) only @McFlurri knowing someone who has this version, plus whoever posted it on Reddit - so that's at least two cars :cool:
I was just reading online (reddit, I think) that there seem to be 3 different upgrade paths and radar-less versions haven't updated to any new version yet. I'm in that camp so I'm sure it'll be a while. Appreciate the info.

Reactions: techlogik
The elephant in the software is the terrible interface. Taking up 40% of the screen with a picture of the car going down the road is completely useless and a dangerous invitation for drivers to not watch the road. Please, Elon, give us the option to turn that bad design decision off.
It seems like the new version in the model S allows you to move all of the 'pods' around which would be awesome.

Does the car need to be plugged in for an OTA? Or just have above a certain SOC?

Does the car need to be plugged in for an OTA? Or just have above a certain SOC?
No, you don't even need WiFi to get the update notification. I was not plugged in, on LTE, and under 50% when I received the notification overnight Monday going into Tuesday. As soon as you connect to WiFi the file begins to download. There may be some sort of safety measure with SoC and downloading/installing the update, but I'm never that low.

Just spot checking TeslaFi Model 3's and it appears only pre-2021 (radar cars) are getting the new updates. I picked up my 2021 M3 LR AWD on 6/25 and was on the factory software for 2 weeks before the 2021.4.18.10 update (which I'm still on). I hand wash my car every couple of weeks and the charge port door opening is the most annoying thing.

Yep, saw that there's a single car on TeslaFi myself this morning. I have a feeling it's a Plaid. Not a single other pending install though.

Hopefully this is a combined release finally with Vision and Radar together. There's been too many branches lately.