Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you actually looking at in the 360 downfacing view? Assuming predictions and object permanance are accurate to a few inches, I would think Tesla could make a top-down visualization that shows "vector" 1) curbs/objects that you don't want to run into and whether you're too close 2) short objects like parking stops that the car knows is safe to pull over and 3) painted lines to align in a parking spot. A visualization like this would probably be practically more useful in most cases except for maybe trying to position based on things like a shadow on the ground.

I don't think there is any question that Tesla could create an on-the-fly mapping of the space around the vehicle as it parks, and then could save this information for the drive out.

Where the only thing a driver had to worry about is objects that might have moved. Like obviously it's not gong to see a kids scooter on the rear side of the vehicle.

For me the 360 degree downfacing view is all about parking in tight spaces, and navigating tight parking garages. This is why ultrasonics tend to be useless for me.

Like obviously it's not gong to see a kids scooter on the rear side of the vehicle.
I get the blind spot below the bumper of the front hood, but the rear is pretty much down to the ground.

Tesla-Model-3-backup-camera~2.png

I don't think there is any question that Tesla could create an on-the-fly mapping of the space around the vehicle as it parks, and then could save this information for the drive out.

Where the only thing a driver had to worry about is objects that might have moved. Like obviously it's not gong to see a kids scooter on the rear side of the vehicle.

For me the 360 degree downfacing view is all about parking in tight spaces, and navigating tight parking garages. This is why ultrasonics tend to be useless for me.
Unfortunately there is no way Telsa will figure out a way to make this work. Guess I am feeling very pessimistic today.

I just keep in mind that they cannot figure out how to stop the vehicle smoothly, and extrapolate everything from there.

I mean we can dream and talk about theory of what is possible until we are blue in the face, but then there is reality.

My spouse asked me about the USS’s being disabled in the car. I told her Elon decided the cameras are superior.

She asked if that’s the case why are their images on the screen showing a truck and several cars. When the car is in the garage. 🫤

She also said her previous car could detect high curbs and had Birds Eye view, so the damage to the wheels are Elon’s fault not hers.

How does the USS removal affect those of us who will not be using FSD?

It sounds like I would be losing the warnings when I back out of a parking spot. That's disappointing, but I don't think my Prius had the warning, and I used the wide-angle camera to "look both ways."

Is it possible Tesla isn't planning to add back these warnings? Or they won't add them to the non-FSD software? For example, they don't have the side mirror warnings for vehicles in the blind spot, as far as I know.

It sounds like I would be losing the warnings when I back out of a parking spot. That's disappointing, but I don't think my Prius had the warning, and I used the wide-angle camera to "look both ways."

Is it possible Tesla isn't planning to add back these warnings? Or they won't add them to the non-FSD software? For example, they don't have the side mirror warnings for vehicles in the blind spot, as far as I know.
The FSD option is for the advanced features.
All safety and base functionality features are included in every vehicle.
Ultimately, it will be the same software, just with things like summon and Navigate on Autopilot disabled.

It seems confusing, and some people are Chicken Little'ing this to death.

Here's what happening:

1) Global Supply Problems are causing shortages in essential parts, including ultrasonics, so many manufacturers are removing them from their vehicles for now. Tesla is also removing them from their vehicles. This helps keep delivery times low, so people aren't waiting 12+ months.
2) New cars will be delivered without ultrasonics once Tesla's parts supply is exhausted (with some parts being held back for service) - this hasn't happened yet, but is coming soon at the pace Tesla is building cars.
3) Tesla has new neural nets created called the Occupancy Network, which have significantly improved the car's ability to see various objects in drivable space.
4) Ultrasonic capabilities will be replaced with the new vision-only neural nets, which (for simplicity) break down objects into blocks. At close range, these blocks are pretty small (possibly down to 1cm).
5) The new visualizations on the screen when you're parking will show distances to objects by using the new Occupancy Network.
6) The existing fleet, which has ultrasonics, will not have their ultrasonics disabled at this time, but will likely have them disabled at some point in the future. The same happened for radar, but it was many months (7 for X/S, 16 for 3/Y) before they were removed by software.
7) New cars without ultrasonics will not be able to use parking features until the new software is released to switch to neural nets. This may take some time, but if radar removal is any indication, this may be as short as two months (AP/NoA features were limited after radar removal, but began returning just 2 months later).

This is important: Only people who receive their new cars during the transition to the new neural nets will be affected by this, a delivery window of a few months. Let's say you order your new car now, and it's delivered early next year, you likely won't be affected by this, as the new software will most likely be released by that point.

Kinda odd but DirtyTesla did a test and it appears USS is not used by Beta for driving at all. So they are likely just for Summon/Auto Park/Park Assist anyway.

Kinda odd but DirtyTesla did a test and it appears USS is not used by Beta for driving at all. So they are likely just for Summon/Auto Park/Park Assist anyway.

I thought that was already established - AP/NoA/FSD Beta do not use ultrasonics. It's the reason you can be driving near an object, like another car, and the red ultrasonic lines are visible, but your car doesn't move out of the way, or brake. It's only when the neural networks perceive an issue before action is taken.

It seems confusing, and some people are Chicken Little'ing this to death.

Here's what happening:

1) Global Supply Problems are causing shortages in essential parts, including ultrasonics, so many manufacturers are removing them from their vehicles for now. Tesla is also removing them from their vehicles. This helps keep delivery times low, so people aren't waiting 12+ months.
2) New cars will be delivered without ultrasonics once Tesla's parts supply is exhausted (with some parts being held back for service) - this hasn't happened yet, but is coming soon at the pace Tesla is building cars.
3) Tesla has new neural nets created called the Occupancy Network, which have significantly improved the car's ability to see various objects in drivable space.
4) Ultrasonic capabilities will be replaced with the new vision-only neural nets, which (for simplicity) break down objects into blocks. At close range, these blocks are pretty small (possibly down to 1cm).
5) The new visualizations on the screen when you're parking will show distances to objects by using the new Occupancy Network.
6) The existing fleet, which has ultrasonics, will not have their ultrasonics disabled at this time, but will likely have them disabled at some point in the future. The same happened for radar, but it was many months (7 for X/S, 16 for 3/Y) before they were removed by software.
7) New cars without ultrasonics will not be able to use parking features until the new software is released to switch to neural nets. This may take some time, but if radar removal is any indication, this may be as short as two months (AP/NoA features were limited after radar removal, but began returning just 2 months later).

This is important: Only people who receive their new cars during the transition to the new neural nets will be affected by this, a delivery window of a few months. Let's say you order your new car now, and it's delivered early next year, you likely won't be affected by this, as the new software will most likely be released by that point.
And the issues with above are:
- There is a question about Tesla’s ability to offer parity between cars with and without USS
- There is a concern with Tesla’s integrity when they communicate this as part of “improvement” while it is likely driven by supply problems and opportunity to cut cost.
- The expectation is that USS will follow the path of the radar. There is a fundamental problem with removing features from a product that you own.

(I am not aware of any other manufacturer removing USS from the entire fleet)

but will likely have them disabled at some point in the future.
I will be upset if they do not give me the option of keeping my USS. The idea that the occupancy network will ever be able to keep track of the open space in my garage sufficiently well to allow 6-inch clearances is risible.
Let's say you order your new car now, and it's delivered early next year, you likely won't be affected by this, as the new software will most likely be released by that point.
I’ve bookmarked this post for next year. We’ll see what happens, should be interesting.

I hope I am wrong and occupancy network has human or superhuman abilities.