Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming soon to a garage near you. (HHTTTBs) Hanging High Tech Tesla Tennis Balls. Available in the Store Soon (string and nail not included).

View attachment 863816
These tennis balls are really good, especially when attached to the garage door, so they retract when the garage is closed (and hang down to the mirror to provide positioning on two axes when the door is open). Out of sight, out of mind! I should really install another one! If the Tesla-branded ones come fully integrated…

Maybe Tesla can integrate them into the occupancy network as a fallback.

C0DE1465-87C0-4C25-8D73-FEB24DC55A6E.jpeg

Last edited:
These tennis balls are really good, especially when attached to the garage door, so they retract when the garage is closed (and hang down to the mirror to provide positioning on two axes when the door is open). Out of sight, out of mind! I should really install another one!

A little virtual tennis ball shows up on the screen and then alarms "STOP" when the ball hits the front of the Tesla, just like the ultras did when you got to 12 inches. 😄

These tennis balls are really good, especially when attached to the garage door, so they retract when the garage is closed (and hang down to the mirror when the door is open). Out of sight, out of mind! I should really install another one!

What I would like is for my Tesla to learn my garage position. Since it already has the notion of a home location, it should include with it a visual snapshot of exactly how the car is parked, inducing direction. It should then use that info to auto-park in the future when I am close to the house. I.e. the P button shows up. Pressing it opens the garage and parks the car, in either direction.

• Funny
Reactions: jiehan and Boza
Ironically, those rear facing cameras could already see the ground...i figured they'd put some cameras in the front.
There's speculation that wider-angle repeater cams are coming to add more overlap with the pillar cams and see around corners a little better (since the fender cams are mounted further forward than the pillar cams). I hope we can get some dash cam samples from these cars in the coming days.

What I would like is for my Tesla to learn my garage position. Since it already has the notion of a home location, it should include with it a visual snapshot of exactly how the car is parked, inducing direction. It should then use that info to auto-park in the future when I am close to the house. I.e. the P button shows up. Pressing it opens the garage and parks the car, in either direction.
With homelink installed, I think that Autopark does something similar, just without the pre-positioning. You pull up to the garage door and then Autopark opens the door, pulls the car in, and then closes the door behind it.

I agree, it will be cool when the car can pull into your driveway, positioning itself, and then execute the door and pull forward.

Reactions: Mark II
With homelink installed, I think that Autopark does something similar, just without the pre-positioning. You pull up to the garage door and then Autopark opens the door, pulls the car in, and then closes the door behind it.

I agree, it will be cool when the car can pull into your driveway, positioning itself, and then execute the door and pull forward.
I have homelink installed. My car never offers to auto park, either forward or reverse.

I have also tried to summon my car out the garage and into the garage. Most the time it will move about 1 foot, then give up and stop. Occasionally it will drive out, very seldom it will go in, and then it will be very skewed and not 100% in. I.e. the garage door would hit the the car if closed.

I even tried putting 4" white tape on the floor to see if it would help. I think it may have made it worse :)

Reactions: SalisburySam
I have homelink installed. My car never offers to auto park, either forward or reverse.

I have also tried to summon my car out the garage and into the garage. Most the time it will move about 1 foot, then give up and stop. Occasionally it will drive out, very seldom it will go in, and then it will be very skewed and not 100% in. I.e. the garage door would hit the the car if closed.

I even tried putting 4" white tape on the floor to see if it would help. I think it may have made it worse :)
Make sure your autopark settings are set up for narrow and short front distance (I'm at 20 inches). I don't have homelink, so I open the door, pull forward and then press Park. Then double press Park and autopark comes up on the screen. I press forward and get out of the car. It then pulls forward for me and parks.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark II
Reading this thread makes me want to cancel my M3 order lol, I wasn't aware of how many times Tesla's done stuff like this to consumers, and on top of that, there isn't even a price reduction on the cars or the FSD option?
The price reduction will come when they remove the steering wheel, next year. But the year after that the price will go way up, after they perfect the Robotaxis.

It’s an investment.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel and Boza
If only my car had stalks! :)

To Use Autopark​

When driving, follow these steps to allow Autopark to maneuver Model S/X into a parking space:
  1. While driving slowly on a public road, monitor the instrument panel to determine when Autopark has detected a parking space. The instrument panelwill display a parking icon if the vehicle detects a potential parking spot.
    Note: Check to determine if the detected parking space is appropriate and safe. Pull forward and stop approximately one car length ahead of the parking space (as you normally would when parallel parking or when backing into a perpendicular parking space).
    The parking icon appears only if the vehicle's position and/or the circumstances of the surrounding area are such that Autopark can determine an appropriate driving path. If Autopark cannot determine an appropriate path (for example, when driving on a narrow street where moving into the parking space causes the front of the vehicle to extend into the adjacent lane), you can either reposition the vehicle, find a different parking space, or park manually.
  2. Release the steering yoke, then touch and hold Autopark in the drive mode strip on the touchscreen. You can release the button once Autopark engages.
  3. Autopark displays a message when parking is complete.
That may be for parking spots while you're in the car. To autopark forward when you exit the vehicle, here is someone's description:

If you put the car in park and press the right wheel on the yoke twice a summon autopark menu comes up. you tell your car which direction you want to go, get out of the car and once you close the door the car should autopark in that direction. you can cancel anytime by pressing the door handle.

Last edited:

To Use Autopark​

When driving, follow these steps to allow Autopark to maneuver Model S/X into a parking space:
  1. While driving slowly on a public road, monitor the instrument panel to determine when Autopark has detected a parking space. The instrument panelwill display a parking icon if the vehicle detects a potential parking spot.
    Note: Check to determine if the detected parking space is appropriate and safe. Pull forward and stop approximately one car length ahead of the parking space (as you normally would when parallel parking or when backing into a perpendicular parking space).
    The parking icon appears only if the vehicle's position and/or the circumstances of the surrounding area are such that Autopark can determine an appropriate driving path. If Autopark cannot determine an appropriate path (for example, when driving on a narrow street where moving into the parking space causes the front of the vehicle to extend into the adjacent lane), you can either reposition the vehicle, find a different parking space, or park manually.
  2. Release the steering yoke, then touch and hold Autopark in the drive mode strip on the touchscreen. You can release the button once Autopark engages.
  3. Autopark displays a message when parking is complete.
Step 1 skips the part where you drive back and forth madly trying to get to the optimal distance from the parked cars to trigger a park icon. And also the lot stripe color is critical. And also you have to slow way down in the parking lot (as though it is not obvious you are trying to park…)

I rarely see the park dialog until I am already parking.

Anyway anyone using this feature routinely must be extremely patient.

I park pretty slowly since I am having to park 8-9 inches from a concrete wall (mirror 2-3 inches I guess) to create distance from adjacent vehicles, and am still perfecting my technique (since I am middle-aged without a pliable cortex). But pretty sure I still beat Autopark.

I really should try this Summon thing into the garage at some point, it has been years since I tried. Just to confirm it is still useless. My driveway is on a mild slope which may not be supported. And I need it to park within 12 inches of the garage obstacles in front. It also needs to be fast! I go until the loud beep.

Step 1 skips the part where you drive back and forth madly trying to get to the optimal distance from the parked cars to trigger a park icon. And also the lot stripe color is critical. And also you have to slow way down in the parking lot (as though it is not obvious you are trying to park…)

I rarely see the park dialog until I am already parking.

Anyway anyone using this feature routinely must be extremely patient.

I park pretty slowly since I am having to park 8-9 inches from a concrete wall (mirror 2-3 inches I guess) to create distance from adjacent vehicles, and am still perfecting my technique (since I am middle-aged without a pliable cortex). But pretty sure I still beat Autopark.

I really should try this Summon thing into the garage at some point, it has been years since I tried. Just to confirm it is still useless. My driveway is on a mild slope which may not be supported. And I need it to park within 12 inches of the garage obstacles in front. It also needs to be fast! I go until the loud beep.
I use autopark and summon in my 2-car garage (with an SUV taking 1/2 the garage) multiple times a day - it's one of my favorite features. Make sure you set Autopark settings to narrow (for sides) and the correct distance in front so you have room behind you to close the door.

But, I still think a kid could hide a scooter on the corner where you can't see it.

A bigger problem with the rear is likely weather related as rain makes it hard to see things in the rear view camera.
I don't think so there either:

1665783154245.png

Between the left and right blind spot cameras and the rear, all three can see down to the ground, hugging the body panels, it doesn't look like anything can hide on the side/rear/rear corners of the car. The B-Pillars likely see the front corners of the car down to the ground. The only blind spot would be the front of the car below the bumper where the front cameras can't see. However, ultrasonics can't see anything 8 inches or shorter from the ground (from the owner's manual), so the scooter would have to be pretty small to miss detection.

Weather could cause a problem, as you said, with the cameras being occluded with moisture/dew.