Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was happily using the radar for AP until the latest update.
Yeah that’s the car, not you. Obviously the radar was being used - never said it wasn’t.
By this logic,
I was saying they never claimed they would not remove radar functionality from cars with radar, after they removed radar from new production cars.

But when new cameras are necessary for FSD? Should we assume that USS function will only be fully restored with the new cameras - perhaps at our own cost since most of us did not buy FSD?
Tesla offering Autopilot Camera Upgrades to owners with FSD capability
Just to be clear, the article you linked to is not really about "new" cameras. That is just bringing old cars up to the cameras that have been put in vehicles for the last few years. (Still just 1.2 megapixel just a change to RCCB instead of RCCC color filters.)

I still haven't seen any confirmation that the new camera lens design is linked to a higher megapixel camera.

All HW3 vehicles are running on Tesla Vision now
Mine's not. HW3/MCU1. 90mph and 1 car following distance...(FSD Purchased but nowhere near eligible yet..no cameras and no MCU2.)

They had to maintain two sets previously: HW3 with radar vs HW3 without radar (AKA Vision). They decided to just move all HW3 to Vision instead of maintaining the split, even though they didn't reach single stack yet (for highway vs city). I can see them wanting to do the same with USS, basically once the ON version is good enough, they may move all HW3 to the same code and just drop USS completely from all HW3. Presumably it'll be for similar reasons, their engineers will have an easier time going forward, especially if they have UI design changes in the future.

But it's still Tesla's official position that MCU1 will be capable of FSD and no free upgrade is required...just a paid upgrade. That fork is a bit bigger than removing a few sensors...

I was saying they never claimed they would not remove radar functionality from cars with radar, after they removed radar from new production cars.
What??? Reading this hurts my smooth brain...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
After rollout of radarless cars, there were no commitments to maintaining radar function in existing cars with radar (since that would be crazy!). Contrast with explicit statements saying no plans for USS functionality removal at this time.
K...so they can remove anything they want from a car I bought 6 years ago because... "we making gud progress!!" Ummm...no... Normal manufacturers would get roasted...why does Tesla get a pass?

After rollout of radarless cars, there were no commitments to maintaining radar function in existing cars with radar (since that would be crazy!). Contrast with explicit statements saying no plans for USS functionality removal at this time.

They never said they planned to disable radar on the old page either.

Also no plans to remove “at this time” doesn’t sound like a firm commitment lol

K...so they can remove anything they want from a car I bought 6 years ago because... "we making gud progress!!" Ummm...no... Normal manufacturers would get roasted...why does Tesla get a pass?
They are doing it with a software update which you can always choose to not install. Anyone that likes their current car as is and are wary of removal or changes in current features should not install updates (at least until others have been guinea pigs or at minimum the release notes are out, although sometimes release notes don't capture all changes).

Currently I have chosen not to install the radar removing update yet personally. I don't really use AP (I still prefer manual driving while cars still allow it), but I want to take some time to test out radar based AP while I still can, and then eventually update to Vision to get some personal insight/experience on if it makes things better or worse (given so many stories either way).

Reactions: DrGriz

I could see his point though that the original page didn't mention it at all, while in this case at least they explicitly said they don't have plans.

Totally different though!

They are doing it with a software update which you can always choose to not install. Anyone that likes their current car as is and are wary of removal or changes in current features should not install updates (at least until others have been guinea pigs or at minimum the release notes are out, although sometimes release notes don't capture all changes).

Currently I have chosen not to install the radar removing update yet personally. I don't really use AP (I still prefer manual driving while cars still allow it), but I want to take some time to test out radar based AP while I still can, and then eventually update to Vision to get some personal insight/experience on if it makes things better or worse (given so many stories either way).
I’m not sure what your purchase agreements say in the US, but here there is a clause that stipulated that if an owner refuses to take update after being made aware of update availability, then owner foregoes right to warranty.

Reactions: kavyboy
I'm getting a Model Y delivered without USS end of November. It's my first Tesla ever, and I do feel somewhat cheated it comes with no parkassist. I never bought +€30k vehicles before , convinced the wife, and now I get a car with less functionality than my current cheap Skoda.

I just really hope vison based park assist is unlocked soon (and works properly) since this weighs on the entire experience as a new owner. Will post here when I take delivery to report vision status!

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
I’m not sure what your purchase agreements say in the US, but here there is a clause that stipulated that if an owner refuses to take update after being made aware of update availability, then owner foregoes right to warranty.

This is what I found in the MVPA.

Obsolete Hardware and Future Firmware Updates. The Vehicle will regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi. Future software updates may not be provided for your Vehicle, or may not include all existing or new features or functionality, due to your Vehicle’s age, configuration, data storage capacity or parts, after the expiration of your Warranty. We are not liable for any parts or labor or any other cost needed to update or retrofit the Vehicle so that it may receive these updates, or any Vehicle issues occurring after the installation of any software updates due to obsolete, malfunctioning (except as covered by your Warranty) or damaged hardware.

I'm getting a Model Y delivered without USS end of Novemnber. It's my first Tesla ever, and I do feel somewhat cheated it comes with no parkassist. I never bought +€30k vehicles before , convinced the wife, and now I get a car with less functionality than my current cheap Skoda.

I just really hope vison based park assist is unlocked soon since this weighs on the entire experience. Will post here when I take delivery to report visoon status!

"Next Week" or Two Weeks" or "End of Year", take your pick. 🤔 🤣
I know, I know. When logging in to my Tesla account to deal with things like insurance/trade-in it gave me a pop-up regarding Tesla Vision (and the removal of USS) , with a big "I accept and will take delivery" button I had to press in order to unlock my account again.

So they can now legally say "you accepted the fact that you didn't have USS". But that's gun-to-my-head diplomacy, of course.

It states I will get park assist "binnenkort" (dutch for "soon").

If it was end of year I'd be totally fine with that. But if it's more like mid-2023 I'll be pretty pissed off.

AFAIK in the US anyway the refusing firmware updates doesn't "void" your warranty.... nothing except a salvage title can really do that.

But it DOES mean they can refuse to cover things they claim are caused by the refusal to update. For example if AP is acting weird, they can refuse to even look at it if you refuse newer firmware. But if your front upper control arm fails under warranty, they still have to fix it as it has nothing to do with software.