Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you’re missing my point, it wasn't aimed at Green specifically

These fragments of code quickly take on a life of their own and get projected into all sorts of hypotheses of what is imminent. As the expression goes, there’s no smoke without fire, but we get an awful lot of smoke from a few burning embers. Thats my beef. It's not that he finds a snippet of code, it's the cottage industry (usually by others) where features appearing in the next release are stated as fact which run rife with no more than some embedded code being seen, and the speculation of what it might mean, and that's where I have the issue.

How many times was blended braking said to be "in the next release"? I saw it being stated as fact that it was only LFP batteries, then not LFP batteries, 2021+ Model S, only certain countries, all pure guess work (albeit not by Green). Alternate routes in the sat nav was the same. It was a server side switch, you need to reboot, it's certain models, Ryzen MCU, by country, requires FSD, requires premium connectivity, you need to stand on one leg, all on websites claimimg to be authorative on the subject.

Green can share extracts of code, its what happens to that tiny morsal of information, and how long it become active that is the problem. If you still don't see the point I'm trying to make, or do but disagree, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

blended braking

Now there's a topic in itself. Do any Tesla models have the ability to use slight pressure on the brake pedal to increase regen braking? Based on what I've seen to date, no, and certainly not on my 2019 MS. Now my 2015 Renault Zoe did use brake pressure to increase regen up to the max possible before applying friction brakes. This is what I know as blended braking. Is that what latest Tesla models do when brakes are applied? Or is it still a variation on one pedal driving?

Green can share extracts of code, its what happens to that tiny morsal of information, and how long it become active that is the problem.

Not sure I quite get your point. IMO Green has been digging for long enough that his 'tiny morsals' are part of a bigger picture he's been working on for years. Yes, others with little or no knowledge of exactly what an individual post can and do extrapolate wildly, but taken on their own as posted by Green I think his posts generally have merit.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Now there's a topic in itself. Do any Tesla models have the ability to use slight pressure on the brake pedal to increase regen braking? Based on what I've seen to date, no, and certainly not on my 2019 MS. Now my 2015 Renault Zoe did use brake pressure to increase regen up to the max possible before applying friction brakes. This is what I know as blended braking. Is that what latest Tesla models do when brakes are applied? Or is it still a variation on one pedal driving?
That’s not how it works on Teslas. Regen is already pretty strong when it’s not limited, so not even sure that they can simply push more regen on demand. The brake pedal only applies friction brakes. This feature simply applies friction brakes automatically when regen is limited or unavailable. Basically gives consistent deceleration. You have to enable this option.

Reactions: mongo
That’s not how it works on Teslas. Regen is already pretty strong when it’s not limited, so not even sure that they can simply push more regen on demand. The brake pedal only applies friction brakes. This feature simply applies friction brakes automatically when regen is limited or unavailable. Basically gives consistent deceleration. You have to enable this option.
Yes, that's what I understood. Just not my understanding of blended braking.

My Kona has 3 selectable levels of regen which I leave on 3, the highest which is similar to the MS R which has one pedal driving (although obviously Kona is lighter so less kinetic energy to recoup). However, it also has a bit more regen in reserve when you brake. In practice I'm not sure why not just have max regen possible when you have you foot off the accelerator. Probably to mimic ICE behavior more closely.

Last edited:
All these people are saying is that they do not have the knowledge to implement this themselves, therefore, it is not possible. It's a common theme here.
All these people also probably at one point thought reusing a rocket and landing one on a return trip was impossible because nobody had done it, it was thought to be too complex and they don’t know how the tech would work to make it possible…

No warnings? No display of distance to the front or back or corners? Oh the humanity!

Remember 25 years ago when people couldn't park their cars without crashing into something?

Okay, sarcastic mode disabled. 😁
Ok I get that you're being sarcastic.

Isn't the point that we're talking about parking assist technology, not the ability of the driver to park the car entirely themselves? What technology is there to either self-park the car or help the driver to do it? If it can't show a giant pole then it's useless, for all intents and purposes as assist technology.

Reactions: Boza
Ok I get that you're being sarcastic.

Isn't the point that we're talking about parking assist technology, not the ability of the driver to park the car entirely themselves? What technology is there to either self-park the car or help the driver to do it? If it can't show a giant pole then it's useless, for all intents and purposes as assist technology.
Indeed we are. But until the solution is rolled out, those with new cars that have ultrasonics removed will have to park themselves.

No warnings? No display of distance to the front or back or corners? Oh the humanity!

Remember 25 years ago when people couldn't park their cars without crashing into something?

Okay, sarcastic mode disabled. 😁
All of us are perfectly capable of parking our cars. The point is that Tesla is taking away sensors that are accurate and work very well and replacing them with a technology that’s unproven and by Tesla’s own admission is unfinished.