Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Rolls Out Safety Feature to Keep Drivers in Their Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has introduced two new safety features designed to help prevent drivers from inadvertently departing their lane.

The new features – Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance – leverage Autopilot help drivers stay engaged and in their lane in order to avoid collisions.

Lane Departure Avoidance

Lane Departure Avoidance lets a driver elect to have corrective steering applied in order to keep them in their intended lane. When the feature is in use and a driver is departing a lane without their turn signal on, the car will also check to see whether a driver’s hands are on the wheel. If a driver’s hands are not detected on the wheel, the driver will receive a series of hands-on reminders and alerts, similar to the ones that our cars provide to customers who use Autopilot. If a drivers’ hands are repeatedly not detected on the wheel when Traffic Aware Cruise Control is in use, their car will gradually slow down to 15 miles below the speed limit or below the car’s set speed, and turn its hazard lights on.

This feature can be turned on or off, and works at speeds between 25 and 90 mph. It is an extension of Lane Departure Warning, which already warns drivers through a steering wheel vibration if they begin to drift out of their lane without their turn signal engaged.

lane-control-steering.jpg

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision, or if the car is close to the edge of the road. This feature will automatically be enabled at the beginning of every drive, but can be turned off for a single drive by going to the Autopilot Controls menu.

lane-corrective-steering.jpg

The free over-the-air software update will first be deployed to Model 3 owners and gradually expand to all cars that were built after October 2016.

“The massive amount of real-world data gathered from our cars’ eight cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors, and forward-facing radar, coupled with billions of miles of inputs from real drivers, helps us better understand the patterns to watch out for in the moments before a crash,” Tesla said in a blog post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded it last night also, I did not read anything about it either. I tried it because of being on the website someone mentioned it, but it did not do anything. I always assumed it had it in the first place. The same goes for the red light ability. I have not seen it notice a red light yet. And no, I did not run a red light to find out. I assume that it would give some indication of a red light, if you were coming up to it fast enough and not breaking right away. There was also a note in the second to last update, it gave it the ability to recognize the red light in that update. I also found out the other day on auto pilot it does not recognize offset intersections I just about ran me head on with the oncoming traffic even know there was a truck in front of me the first time and second time there was a car in front of me I would've shipment I also found out the other day on auto pilot it does not recognize offset intersections I just about ran head on with the oncoming traffic even though there was a truck in front of me the first time and second time there was a car in front of me .I would've thought that it would figure it out and follow the vehicle in front of me.

PS: does anyone know why it keeps changing my words after it is sent or duplicating. Apple has looked into it and it still doing it does anyone know why it keeps changing my words after it is sent or duplicating. Apple has looked into it and it still doing it

How will it avoid potholes?
I have been wondering about this, a combination of the front facing cameras and the front radar, if there is enough space to avoid the hole by maneuvering around it safely, the computer will alter the course to take a path that doesn’t cross the pothole. Most potholes will be able to be navigated around but no system is perfect.

From the Tesla blog entry:
"Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision, or if the car is close to the edge of the road."​

What if I'm deliberately driving close to the edge of the road? Is the car going to override my action? I as driver may see an object in the road or an on-coming vehicle that the car does not. This sounds like a Boeing 737 Max problem waiting to happen--the car thinks it knows better than the driver!

Tesla has introduced two new safety features designed to help prevent drivers from inadvertently departing their lane. The new features – Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance – leverage Autopilot help drivers stay engaged and in their lane in order to avoid collisions. Lane Departure Avoidance Lane Departure Avoidance lets a driver elect...
6 months too late but happy to have it as a feature. I totaled my model S back in October due to an epileptic seizure when the car veered off the highway lane I was on and smashed into the median (AP was NOT engaged at the time - see my separate full posting on this forum if interested in the details). After being seizure free for 6 months they’ve let me drive again. I was wondering when Tesla would push out an update like this to make it a safer car for everyone inside and outside the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ModelX
Our S's AP1 kept in its lane, no big deal. But the X? ... on AP2? it was scary in comparison. Finally - after for over 1½ years, one could at least make an argument it was practically as decenet as AP1. So ..... what exactly is this?

I cannot know how they can detect and avoid a real pothole effectively and safely, big or small.

Upon detecting a pothole whether by sensing it up close or actually being rolled over it, report offline to local transportation department for repairs, so that other cars can also enjoy the feature. At least this can be done first.

I have been wondering about this, a combination of the front facing cameras and the front radar, if there is enough space to avoid the hole by maneuvering around it safely, the computer will alter the course to take a path that doesn’t cross the pothole. Most potholes will be able to be navigated around but no system is perfect.

I’m on 2019.12.1, didn’t see anything about it in update notes but definitely had it kick in this morning on my morning drive. Got on freeway and thought I had kicked into autopilot. With the most recent update the sound seems to glitch, no audible autopilot sound came on, as I was looking down to turn on music I got audible warnings for hands on, and I was right on the edge of the line. The car then steered me back into the middle of the lane as I took control and realized AP wasn’t engaged. The car definitely steered back before I had a chance to react, behavior I’ve never seen before. Lessons: always visually confirm you are locked into AP or NOA.

Anyone else see this behavior? Maybe it kicks in after no hands detected on wheel for a certain amount of time, to differentiate purposeful movement beyond lines from drifting.