Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S - Daily Driver or Second Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really my only car now [ok, I do own a 1994 Suburban, but that's only because Fisher doesn't make a minute mount for the Model s yet :) ], I only plow my 200' driveway and the 6 spaces at the end of it, I'm sure the Model S could handle it, if I could only mount the plow to it...

I went on a 230 mile round trip last Friday from Boston to Six Flags in Agawam, didn't do any charging on the road, made it home with 17 miles of range. Also went to Mt Washington a few weeks ago, 180 miles one way... Did charge overnight at an RV Park. There is no need for another car. I drive it every weekday to downtown Boston in rush hour traffic...

I take my Model S to home depot all the time. With the seats folded down, you can fit an impressive amount of cargo. And I'm not the only one- a month or two ago after I parked at the El Cerrito Home Depot, I noticed another Model S parked in the next row.

I got a screen door from Home Depot in my Model S. It is definitely a daily driver. Putting on almost 2,000 miles a month.

Daily driver, sold my "fun" car after a week. Still have a Subaru until I see if the Model S can handle our hill in the snow. Had no issues with Winter tires and AWD. I will throw good winters on the Model S and if it can handle it I will get rid of the Subaru.

Either way I will be getting rid of the Subaru when I get a Model X.

I NEVER want to drive a gas powered vehicle again.

Thought I would need my wife ML430, but have not driven it since May when we took delivery of the MS. It is plugged into a battery tender to keep the battery charged and worried about the fuel going bad, put in some fuel stablizer. Probably will dump the MBZ by the end of the year. Have a Ford F-150 I use for the dumps, would,like to dump it to and get an all electric truck. Probably will not happen soon.

Three months ago, I saw my first MS up close, sitting still, the owner showed me his car.
I had seen a couple of MSs driving in traffic, but had not had a chance to see inside, dash, frunk, rear trunk.

12 days after that I visited a gallery in Austin, had a chance to sit in one (but not ride or drive one at that time).
2 days later, placed my order.

I have now had my MS just over 2 months (and 3 days), am selling my BMW and barely even ride my automatic motorcycle/maxi-scooter anymore (but I can park the bike anywhere in the too-tight parking garage @ work).

The bike USED to be my daily ride, but I almost exclusively drive my MS: it is just a blast to drive, much better access/egress for Mom's wheelchair, Home Depot supplies, weekly Costco run.

The more I use the Model S as my daily driver, the easier it is to adapt to the best and most effective driving and parking techniques.

Last edited:
The Model S has been my daily driver since I took it home 2 1/2 months ago. I still have my older pickup, but haven't really driven it at all since, and will probably get rid of it before the registration comes up for renewal next spring. If the mid-atlantic supercharger rollout was a bit farther along I'd probably have already sold it by now.

I think a mix of an Audi and a Porsche is actually a good comparison of the Model S feel. Plus, all the benefits of the EV. I had the S6 (great size car and fast), was thinking of replacing with the new 911 model (superior/tighter handling) and chose the Tesla. Sooooo happy.

The Tesla will be my daily driver once I have it (less than a month away!)... It's replacing an old Mazda 6 wagon, although before I considered the Tesla I was looking primarily at entry-level luxury/sport sedans like Lexus IS350 and Infinti G37. My commute is 10 miles round-trip, and when the weather and my schedule cooperate, I ride my bicycle to work. My co-workers have told me that once I get the Tesla I'll never want to bike to work again, but I will make an honest effort to keep it up. :)

My wife drives a Honda CR-V, which we bought (before we started considering Tesla) as her daily driver and as the primary car for family trips. But you can be certain that the Tesla will be our primary family-trip car as well, especially once the supercharger network expands more on the east coast. I already have one trip to NJ/Philly and two trips to Pittsburgh planned, and I don't expect to drive the Honda for any of them! In fact I hope that we can ultimately replace her car with the X or Gen3 in a few years.