Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales rep said MY with 4680 will NOT have longer range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got notified that my new MY-P VIN has been assigned. Sales rep told me that my car has the new Ryzen chip plus all the other new stuff except for the 4680 battery. I live in SoCal so the car is coming out of Fremont. He proceeded to say that the 4680 battery will NOT offer longer range for my MY-P because that would simply "invalidate" all the existing MYs. It makes no sense for Tesla to do so. He explained that 4680 simply allows Tesla to be more efficient in manufacturing the batteries. They would just put FEWER batteries in the car to achieve similar range as before.

I'm currently stuck in deciding if I should postpone my delivery in hopes to get the 4680 battery. But if there's no benefit, then I don't need to wait.

While I understand the business decision to allow room to grow and potentially offer even longer range at a higher price point, can anyone confirm if this is in fact true?

The better question is why did you just assume you'd get longer range?

Performance per watt can come in a variety of flavors, more work done for the same energy use or less energy used for the same amount of work. In the case of the cells which is much denser, we could have either lower weight/cost for the same range or keep the same weight and get much more range.

The former costs nothing more gives everyone a benefit. The latter will cost more money cuz it takes more cells, how likely is that going to be free?

There is also the point that, At the heart of this, a Tesla SA is a "SALES associate". Just like any other car salesperson, they sell whats in front of them. I have no idea if what they are saying is fact or not, but there is absolutely ZERO (zip, nada, zilch) incentive for a Tesla SA to say ANYTHING different from what they told this OP, whether they know better, or not.

They likely have no clue.

With that being said, I happen to fall into the camp of "the new battery is going to be a thing for Tesla to make more profit, it isnt going to be a thing for significantly higher performance / range, without an increase in cost".

I also have no idea, but expecting an SA to say something different than what they told the OP (even if its not true) would be silly.

I agree with jjrandorin. SA's don't have any clue. They tell me one thing and then they come back and say another because tesla's "new policies". Its all BS to get you comfortable with getting the car.

Since you are in SOCAL you are not going to get 4860 within the next year or longer. if you can wait that long then its fine otherwise, get the car and move on.

Well, then there's the new castings as well. Then again, maybe that helps Tesla's bottom line too, not really an end user benefit (unless they own stock!)
yea, I felt these improvements are important for Tesla and its investors.
However, despite Tesla not bringing the price down or increae the range, end users still get a little collateral benefits - better safety and battery lifespan

Reactions: advocate8
The better question is why did you just assume you'd get longer range?
The answer is I didn't assume. I'm simply hoping for longer range based on all the reports and articles I've seen around recently including many posts on TMC. For example, the newly posted EPA rating for MY and M3 indicate 565KM (351miles) range: 2022 Tesla Model Y Receives Official EPA Range/Efficiency Ratings
and this article where Tesla confirmed that 4680 battery : Giga-Texas Model Y With Structural Batteries And 4680 Cells Confirmed By Tesla | Torque News

Right in the middle of the 2nd article:

"The Giga-Texas Model Y would be able to improve its range by a 30%: these structural batteries, which will become integrated into the vehicle chassis (the central frame will be made up of a huge cast piece made of aluminum), will allow its range to be improved by a 14%, its weight to be reduced by 10% , and to simplify the design and manufacture of the car (as around 370 fewer parts will be used); it will also help increase the rigidity of the "monocoque" chassis.

Taking the Model Y Long Range AWD produced in Fremont as a reference - which announces a range of 512 km EPA - the Giga Texas version could reach 666 km (EPA), improving its range by a 30% (16% by using 4680 cells and 14% by using structural batteries). All in all the final gain would likely be a little bit less, though."

Is it just wishful thinking on my part or the SA is holding out on me?

Reactions: FLTessie
It seems simplest and smart for Tesla to roll the 4680 initially with same-ish range, allowing them to get both factories migrated and ramped onto the new pack technology while keeping the order sheet simple.

Yes, that likely means higher profit margins on the 4680's, but you could argue that goes towards paying for all those new battery assembly lines.

And yes, once fully on 4680 and having plenty of field experience, they could push the range up a ways (or reduce costs further by getting existing-level range from 4680 packs using less-efficient but cheaper chemistry)

Tesla sales staff know nothing about future product plans. Absolutely nothing. Their only singular job is to deliver you the car you’re assigned to.

That said, I think you’d have to be insane to turn down a reasonably mature and sorted build from Fremont in the hopes of getting one of the first few thousand alpha test units from Austin.

Sales Advisors know nothing about the future features of the cars. If you recall Battery Day, 4680 batteries is an advancement to 2170 batteries (obviously), their significant highlights was 5x Energy, +16% Range, and 6x Power. So as time goes on, we’ll see come to reality. There’s no way that the Model Y will be the same as 2170, certainty not in the future.

Reactions: preilly44