Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Rant by an experienced truck driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some won't like that it makes driving a semi look easy. And it does make driving a semi easier. But there's probably some level of pride among truckers because they can drive a truck that others don't know how to. Taking that away will result in some discomfort among truckers.

And that's just one of the legitimate reasons, without getting into the illegitimate reasons for not liking the Tesla semi.

Ultimately though, it has some big advantages that might make it a notable part of the future of trucking. My favorite being that it won't spew clouds of black death into my car when I'm behind it. Some truckers will see this lack of black clouds as a bad thing.

They may start to change their mind when:

- they are in very slow pace try to get up a hill top and a Tesla Semi fully loaded is passing by as if they would stand....
- In a truck stop first trucker tell their buddies that they earn 20% more since they have the Semi and are faster at destination
- Large Logistics companies announce they go fully electric (happened today already)

There's a similar "analysis" on FBN with a trucker. Both basically boil down to "I would believe it if Cummings did it, but I don't believe it because Elon did it and he has an environmental agenda." They hate the man, not the idea.
And I hope they really pronounced it "Cummings", as that would be the icing on the cake.

Some won't like that it makes driving a semi look easy. And it does make driving a semi easier. But there's probably some level of pride among truckers because they can drive a truck that others don't know how to. Taking that away will result in some discomfort among truckers.

Yes, this.

When I was 21, I operated heavy equipment in Death Valley (yep - 50 ton end dump, paddle wheel scraper, blade, D9, front end loaders, etc.). The older guys at the mine were definitely not friendly - and I fully understood that they took pride in their job and it was a bit irritating to see a 21 year old GIRL show up and do the same job as well as they did (also true, I became lead operator & vetted all new employees). But eventually they came around (a whole 'nother set of stories) and became good friends.

Give the truckers time.

The decision to go electric will be made by the big fleet trucking companies, who care only about cost/mile, and not the drivers, who also care about tradition, shiny chrome, christmas lights, etc. The owner-operators are a dying breed.

Last edited:
I still like my idea of full autonomous trucking on the highway, but human drivers at the end points when off highway. Truckers could rest on the straight boring stretches, and be well rested for driving in the more engaging end points where their experience and talent are more needed. The industry could take at least partial advantage of autonomous driving (stops for rest no longer needed) but truckers wouldn't lose their jobs.

Another advantage to the electric trucks is they should be excluded from any rules against idling.

Reactions: scottf200
Truckers are proud that they can wrangle a 18 wheeler all day (and night). Those trucks are a handfull with ineffective brakes, poor accelleration, evil handling, foul smelling, highly polluting, loud, dangerous and generally despised by the general public.

People hate to be stuck behind a belching diesel truck. They drop and flip up items that crack cars windshields, block their view, and tear up the roads. They are sluggish and stay seperate from smaller vehicles.

They have been long suffering and provide the lifeblood of the worlds economy. They are kind of the heros we hate.

They embrace improvements, but not much change. Their trucks are like dinosaurs, and dwarf normal cars.

Electric trucks will hugely enhance our world, but the change will be challenging and tough on them. Only natural for them to voice some resistance to something that they have never experienced.

In the beginning these electric trucks will make their drivers lives much better, but there is the thought that some day the trucks will navigate themselves and the driver un necessary.

If the cost of operation is lower than for diesels, the fleet owners will be all over their adaptation