Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around 200ish

Pretty sure we don't know. They've been working with trucking companies to build this design and product out. For all we know, the queue might already be full by early reservations. I'm guessing we won't know the true number until Tesla decides to post something out.

To be honest, I'd be happy for Tesla to be the number one consumer of these trucks first (and for a long time) and see where they goes from there, if the numbers are true.

Reactions: Lessmog and neroden
Pretty sure we don't know. They've been working with trucking companies to build this design and product out. For all we know, the queue might already be full by early reservations. I'm guessing we won't know the true number until Tesla decides to post something out.

To be honest, I'd be happy for Tesla to be the number one consumer of these trucks first (and for a long time) and see where they goes from there, if the numbers are true.
Tesla Semi gets 10 more electric truck orders from delivery giant DHL, bringing reported total to ~200

I’m going to have to disagree with that somewhat, because I believe that the batteries are heavier than that, and Tesla is making up in the weight of the chassis, by using lighter weight materials. You can see that extensively in the Model S, X, and 3. Just my hypothesis, however. I think they are making improvements, but not to the extent that you mention :)
@vgrinshpun

Pulling this from market action:
The Tesla chassis has a couple things going for it being lighter. The load paths are about as short are possible.The 5th wheel is directly over the fore rear axle so minimal structure is need (matching existing so not a gain). The bigger factor I see is that the frame from rear axle forward only has to handle the static load of battery and structure. There is no engine at the front imparting a torsional load to the chassis.

@vgrinshpun

Pulling this from market action:
The Tesla chassis has a couple things going for it being lighter. The load paths are about as short are possible.The 5th wheel is directly over the fore rear axle so minimal structure is need (matching existing so not a gain). The bigger factor I see is that the frame from rear axle forward only has to handle the static load of battery and structure. There is no engine at the front imparting a torsional load to the chassis.

So what is the typical weight of the Diesel semi chassis and how much weight you think could be saved in Tesla Semi Chassis as compared to the Diesel semi structure? Intuitively it does not seem enough to move the scale one way or another, but I do not have experience with this (my Diesel semi weight figures are from trusted source with direct experience in trucking).

So what is the typical weight of the Diesel semi chassis and how much weight you think could be saved in Tesla Semi Chassis as compared to the Diesel semi structure? Intuitively it does not seem enough to move the scale one way or another, but I do not have experience with this (my Diesel semi weight figures are from trusted source with direct experience in trucking).

The only thing that I can add to this is the idea that the pack itself is structural and can replace or act as a replacement for the structure in a typical semi. I dont know much weight can be saved by leveraging the structure required to protect the pack as a rigid part of the semis overall structure.

I do not have a good data source. Reading back to your comment, Is your source saying the cab and chassis typically weigh 13,000 pounds?

The only thing that I can add to this is the idea that the pack itself is structural and can replace or act as a replacement for the structure in a typical semi. I dont know much weight can be saved by leveraging the structure required to protect the pack as a rigid part of the semis overall structure.

From the Tesla Twitter fly through, it looked like two main rails, two cross rails, and then a few fore/aft U section to support the packs, and another set of U above the packs for the cab floor. From that, I'd guess the packs are mostly self supporting and not used as much of a structural member due to lack of torsion.

Edit: 3 cross rails.
Edit #2: Tweet didn't show bottom structure (other than what looked like a flat plate) just top/ cab floor.

Last edited:

I think that since truck chassis is a frame construction, rather than unibody construction in case of MS/MX/M3, potential weight savings due to battery pack structure would be minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
You also cannot scale up the Model 3 pack to 10x as large as much of the weight and lowering of density is due to the pack structure that protects the cells. It could be a fairly high percentage of the packs weight that goes to protect from things like punctures and stuff from the road penetrating the pack at high speed. You only need heavy protection on the bottom of the pack so maybe you drop the weight by 10% of the main pack before you scale it up to compensate? I also made the point in another thread that the pack is part of the structure itself and can replace a heavy portion of the semi's frame.

Pulling from Market Action

If the shield is part of the pack, then you are stuck with top v.s. and possibly fore vs aft bottom version. I'm expecting all 4 packs are the same. The Tractor has higher ground clearance, so road debris is less of an issue. Elon said the bottom was flat, so I expect that to be a welded plate that stiffens up the frame and provides shielding.

I did the math awhile back and you can save around 2-4,000 lbs on the diesel related stuff. The big issue is the engine, you can have a Maxxforce10 weight 1,200lbs or huge Cummins ISX system that tips the scales at 3,204 pounds with emissions systems.

One of the problems they'll need to address is how to get all of the weight back on the front axle without the engine there.

I ran the numbers in the Semi Number thread, it worked out pretty good based on pack location/ approximate mass. About two third of ots mass in on the front axle v.s. aft rear.

Did a little dimensioning in Paint today.