Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ogre @SmokyPeat
Tesla may have an improved version of the Supercharger to semi adapter that links two (or more) pedestals together for backup charging at higher voltage (or one Cybertruck compatible pedestal) .

Could also be only a roadside assistance feature as the routeswould normally not drain the pack, and charging sites are not typically Semi friendly.

Reactions: SmokyPeat
Is an onboard charger even a thing for the SEMI, and if so what are it's specs?
I don't think it would be useful.
The Semi should definitely come equipped for AC charging. An onboard charger that could take 100A @ 240V makes sense to me.
How many 100A 240VAC outlets are out in the wild?
I picture the truck having it's own cord and plugging into something like this:

I've certainly never seen one of those.
Pretty sure it would be plugging into Destination Chargers with some kind of adaptor
That seems like it would be almost useless for a Semi.

Our plan for the semi is to simply do local runs and all charging at the mill, it can do a daily route (2-4 trips) and then recharge overnight with cheap power. To maximize savings fuel costs management is critical, which means you have to charge at the lowest price possible- a location where you can negotiate night near wholesale pricing. Secondly you can't afford to leave them stranded anywhere. So, you'll manage runs to always have a large buffer. For now the truck has a role and that is local runs. Most of those are well short of 100 miles. Very few trucks actually run out over 200 miles one way. If that is need we'll just broker that out (and we do quite a few of those but say 2 per week). Semi is local and that is awesome.

Interestingly it also has the greatest impact on air pollution as they will be reducing pollution loads on a metro region. Long distance trucking has minimal impact on local air pollution problem areas.

As a company that uses nearly 2500 gallons of diesel a week we are thrilled at the chance to have a significant reduction in both costs and environmental impacts. It's going to cut our diesel bill by 30-40% and that alone will pay for the truck if we charge at night. It is NOT going to replace our long distance trucking for several years yet. Much like Tesla itself transitioning trucking is a serious of continuous incremental improvements, we cut every chance we get (from a Ford Lightning to the Tesla semi when we can buy one). I think what's really critical for now is to get the factory build done and then keep the truck as simple as possible to keep production as high as possible, costs as low as possible. Just get trucks on the road. You can go 10 years before you even need long distance solutions. Those years will transform trucking and lay the groundwork for long distance trucking.

I don't think it would be useful.

How many 100A 240VAC outlets are out in the wild?

I've certainly never seen one of those.

In Europe these things are found in the wild, and quite a lot of other countries.

Everywhere in Europe is 220/240V and the 'normal' single phase supply is 100A. Yes I know there is a lot of variation (believe me, I really know this) but if there was a single norm it would be 100A.

Similarly the norm at 415/440V three phase would tend to be about 63A - 100A - 150A.

Split phase (480V) supplies are relatively uncommon. Really they only exist in UK-USA-AUS-CAN-NZ, and in UK these days are getting rarer.

Putting all that feed into one outlet does require for an interesting diversity factor, but would not be unheard of.

So whilst I have no particular opinion on whether such a feature should be included in the Semi, I can appreciate the reasons for folk asking. It becomes more relevant when Semi starts being offered to markets outside US/Can.

Our plan for the semi is to simply do local runs and all charging at the mill, it can do a daily route (2-4 trips) and then recharge overnight with cheap power. To maximize savings fuel costs management is critical, which means you have to charge at the lowest price possible- a location where you can negotiate night near wholesale pricing. Secondly you can't afford to leave them stranded anywhere. So, you'll manage runs to always have a large buffer. For now the truck has a role and that is local runs. Most of those are well short of 100 miles. Very few trucks actually run out over 200 miles one way. If that is need we'll just broker that out (and we do quite a few of those but say 2 per week). Semi is local and that is awesome.

Interestingly it also has the greatest impact on air pollution as they will be reducing pollution loads on a metro region. Long distance trucking has minimal impact on local air pollution problem areas.

As a company that uses nearly 2500 gallons of diesel a week we are thrilled at the chance to have a significant reduction in both costs and environmental impacts. It's going to cut our diesel bill by 30-40% and that alone will pay for the truck if we charge at night. It is NOT going to replace our long distance trucking for several years yet. Much like Tesla itself transitioning trucking is a serious of continuous incremental improvements, we cut every chance we get (from a Ford Lightning to the Tesla semi when we can buy one). I think what's really critical for now is to get the factory build done and then keep the truck as simple as possible to keep production as high as possible, costs as low as possible. Just get trucks on the road. You can go 10 years before you even need long distance solutions. Those years will transform trucking and lay the groundwork for long distance trucking.

My company makes daily runs from LA metro to San Diego to pick up and deliver. The Semi's range is our sweet spot. As you said, the Semi, or more precisely the current charging infrastructure, isn't built for long-haul trucking. When a truck is carrying freight from coast to coast, it cannot afford to make a multiple-hour charging stop, and cannot afford to pay for 3rd party megachargers either, assuming that megachargers charge at least what superchargers are currently charging (heh no pun intended). When the only economically viable charging location is your own yard, only P&D makes sense. As I shared with @Gigapress before, P&D is also where the maintenance cost and fuel cost advantages are the most pronounced, since city roads are much more damaging to the truck and consume much more fuel per mile than highways.

My thinking is that for quite a long time the Semi is going to be sold to companies using it for repeated known routes and nothing else so it makes more sense to put money and resources into end point DC fast chargers than onboard AC chargers which might rarely be used at some random relatively low power AC outlets.
Yes, that is undoubtedly true. On the other hand, dozens of 100A AC receptacles/stations can be installed for the same cost as a single DC fast charger. And many locations don't have the capacity to support a megacharger. I see AC charging as a contingency option, that while perhaps rarely needed, is nonetheless valuable. Much like how many current Tesla owners like to have their mobile charger cord and adapters in the car when road tripping, if not at all times.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Much like how many current Tesla owners like to have their mobile charger cord and adapters in the car when road tripping, if not at all times.
The difference is current Tesla owners are much more likely to take non standard trips while a company owned Semi likely never will. Also DC fast chargers can handle multiple vehicles at different times so fewer chargers would be needed per vehicle and zero on board chargers need to be built. The economics seem clear to me until large amounts of Semis are traveling to areas that can't support DC fast chargers.

The difference is current Tesla owners are much more likely to take non standard trips while a company owned Semi likely never will. Also DC fast chargers can handle multiple vehicles at different times so fewer chargers would be needed per vehicle and zero on board chargers need to be built. The economics seem clear to me until large amounts of Semis are traveling to areas that can't support DC fast chargers.
I don't see why on board chargers wouldn't make sense as an option available to buyers right off the bat. For the fleet owners who feel it's an unnecessary expense, they can select the DC only trim.

I don't see why on board chargers wouldn't make sense as an option available to buyers right off the bat.
Because for the next few years of production no one will chose that option. It makes no sense to add a useless option, ( and expense/complexity for Tesla), that no one wants. I'm quite sure that years of Semi production is already spoken for by fleets.

Reactions: nativewolf
It always cracks me up when people cherry pick part of one comment in a conversation and quote me out of context to argue with me. I suggested as much in my previous post to that.

My comment in the post you quoted was 100% about that goofy adaptor. You even trimmed off the part where I suggested just using Megachargers.

@Ogre @SmokyPeat
Tesla may have an improved version of the Supercharger to semi adapter that links two (or more) pedestals together for backup charging at higher voltage (or one Cybertruck compatible pedestal) .

Could also be only a roadside assistance feature as the routeswould normally not drain the pack, and charging sites are not typically Semi friendly.
I'm pretty sure this will be uncommon enough in the future that they will just have them towed if they run out of juice.

Tesla-Semi-being-towed.jpg

Reactions: JRP3
It always cracks me up when people cherry pick part of one comment in a conversation and quote me out of context to argue with me. I suggested as much in my previous post to that.

My comment in the post you quoted was 100% about that goofy adaptor. You even trimmed off the part where I suggested just using Megachargers.
You suggested it as an option which I don't think it will be.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ogre
Because for the next few years of production no one will chose that option. It makes no sense to add a useless option, ( and expense/complexity for Tesla), that no one wants. I'm quite sure that years of Semi production is already spoken for by fleets.
You might be surprised at the variety of options available to the heavy trucking segment. It's fundamentally different from the passenger vehicle segment, in both volume and use cases. I'm quite sure that on board chargers won't be viewed as a useless option to some not insignificant percentage of buyers.

Reactions: petit_bateau