Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder about this.

Specifically if Tesla is making the trailer, and has managed to shave 1-2K off the trailer weight.

So it might not be able to tow exactly the same weight using other trailers.

This might be one reason why the specs are not published, others will try to get a trailer to teardown and will copy the design.

I can see it being difficult to get hold of semis and trailers for teardowns, there may be a "gentleman's agreement" that buyers don't on sell them for a few years. By that time battery energy density improvements will close the hypothetical weight gap.
The logo and design match Utility, it's pretty lightweight with composite walls.
I think the big areas for improvement will be the tires and hubs/ bearings.

Trucks need to hook up to different trailers all the time, I don't see any benefit of Tesla making a handful of special trailers.
For the purposes of calculating how much weight the Semi can carry within the 82,000 lbs limit, the weight of the trailer is part of that calculation.

I imagine different trailers can weigh different amounts.

This is a logical area to optimise, and I suspect most of that had already been done.

But for the purposes of calculating the weight of the Semi, if we assume a trailer weight, that might be slightly wrong.

If hypothetically Tesla could design and build a trailer that was 1,000 lbs (10%) lighter, it would be worthwhile for fleet operators to purchase those trailers. If a trailer could provide more range, that is also worthwhile.

In addition to the Semi, the trailer is another thing that could be optimised.

From Mongo's post above, it seems unlikely that Tesla is making trailers.

But if they did make them, every Semi would come with a trailer, and fleet operators would purchase additional trailers.

That doesn't mean the semi can't tow other trailers, it just means that mode is less optimised. The penalty might be a bit less weight or range.

Last edited:
Reactions: petit_bateau
This is the type of headline and article we need to see more of. Originally posted in Evannex and reposted in CleanTechnica this morning:

Reactions: KBF and jerry33
If hypothetically Tesla could design and build a trailer that was 1,000 lbs (10%) lighter, it would be worthwhile for fleet operators to purchase those trailers. If a trailer could provide more range, that is also worthwhile.
I'd expect at this point trailers are optimized for load carrying and Tesla doesn't have any magic sauce to improve upon that significantly.

This is the type of headline and article we need to see more of. Originally posted in Evannex and reposted in CleanTechnica this morning:
In test runs, the Tesla Semi was able to haul its maximum capacity of 81,000lbs (36.7 metric tons) of cargo a total of 500 miles, according to the company
‘Haul 81,000 lbs of cargo’ ?

I can’t takes these writers seriously if they make these kind of basic & sloppy mistakes.

Last edited:
This story was forwarded to me this morning, screen shot only:

6B03B250-834D-4A82-B213-218D2471E025.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau

There were at least two previous "break downs" in January that made the rounds on social media. So this isn't the first. Two issues...

1) Musk guaranteed the Semi wouldn't break down for a million miles (he also promised quad motors as part of that, so...)

2) Didn't Tesla say they believed in the Semi so much that they were using some themselves? If these are reoccurring issues for Pepsi, did Tesla really not test them or did Pepsi just get a bad batch?

• Disagree
Reactions: ripper88

There were at least two previous "break downs" in January that made the rounds on social media. So this isn't the first. Two issues...

1) Musk guaranteed the Semi wouldn't break down for a million miles (he also promised quad motors as part of that, so...)

2) Didn't Tesla say they believed in the Semi so much that they were using some themselves? If these are reoccurring issues for Pepsi, did Tesla really not test them or did Pepsi just get a bad batch?
Was this a Pepsi semi, or just another test mule (?).

Could be some random line of code that wouldn’t release the air brakes for some reason; the first winter with a large number of TM3s exposed all sorts of software edge case flaws…

I think back to a line from The Right Stuff that essentially described the NASA triumphs AND failures that were all out in the open; the ”cost” of doing business in an open operating environment.

Was this a Pepsi semi, or just another test mule (?).

Could be some random line of code that wouldn’t release the air brakes for some reason; the first winter with a large number of TM3s exposed all sorts of software edge case flaws…

I think back to a line from The Right Stuff that essentially described the NASA triumphs AND failures that were all out in the open; the ”cost” of doing business in an open operating environment.
I don't easy access to the Tweet, but someone posted on Twitter that there was an issue with the bus-bar that has since been corrected on all of the fleet.

Tesla has the opportunity to work closely with Pepsi and get the early kinks out.

Tesla has done extensive testing with pre-production test mules, actual product semis operating in the world for the first time, may uncover some additional issues. I have confidence that Tesla can find and fix problems quickly, and that an electric semi will quickly exceed the reliability of a diesel.

I don't easy access to the Tweet, but someone posted on Twitter that there was an issue with the bus-bar that has since been corrected on all of the fleet.
I saw that as well but it's rather concerning if true. A bus bar is a rather basic piece of hardware, seems rather sloppy to screw that up in low volume production.

I saw that as well but it's rather concerning if true. A bus bar is a rather basic piece of hardware, seems rather sloppy to screw that up in low volume production.
A suspension is a mature and well ironed out piece of engineering. And a wheel? Yet Toyota’s BZX had problems in both. How could that happen to the best auto company in the world?

Let’s relax. Sky is falling scaremongering is for Presstitutes and TSLAQ scums. It doesn’t belong here. Almost any new product introduced - be it car or software - is going to have some initial niggles. Model S, X and 3 had it. But things settled down and all those initial problems are history now.

So let’s come back in a year or two and then start panicking.

I worked in Aerospace most of my career - if I had a dollar for every busbar problem....
Supposedly that was a "claim to fame" for SpaceX->Tesla technology xfer. Using aerospace grade inconel on the main Model S contactors when they kept having early failures with more common metals.

I wonder if they still use inconel on all Tesla contactors now... Would it make sense to make semi busbars out of that material?