Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sentry Mode in Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a Tesla owner but interested in evs in general. Sentry Mode is an excellent anti theft system........if law enforcement can use evidence of criminal behavior like this recorded incident of a break-in. Unfortunately, the M-B with stolen plates make police take a back seat to initial investigations when the plates were found as stolen unless they can stop and arrest these thieves still driving in this M-B. The only compelling evidence for now is a white M-B four door sedan, black man wearing a hood, time of day, parking lot near a Target store and police report of the incident. Drive by thefts may be on a list of many for police to be leery of while on patrol. Hopefully, police can use these videos and arrest the person but this may be classed as a misdemeanor like pickpocketing since there wasn't anything removed.

Sentry Mode and the recent 'icing' of angry/frustrated ice owners deliberately parking in ev charging stations preventing ev charging will probably alter small minded people ignorant of technology. With zero news of icing events in ev charging sites, perhaps those ignorant of common courtesy are learning respect comes from within before respecting others.

I think United states should have a database where they can store there faces and enter it into a database so they can have a computer algorithm match the face against there mug shots or even better Social media sites or other platforms.

These criminal should also get arrested and should be liable to pay for any damages they caused. If they cannot pay it then have them do labor in Jail and make them pay and not just sit on tax payer expense..

In Addition we as voters needs to be careful when we go out and vote. We in California have voted back in 2014 to let these low pity criminals get away with it.. With a slap on a wrist and then we expect things to get better...

It is sad to see someone hard earned property being destroyed and the criminals getting away with it most of the times..

I think United states should have a database where they can store there faces and enter it into a database so they can have a computer algorithm match the face against there mug shots or even better Social media sites or other platforms.

These criminal should also get arrested and should be liable to pay for any damages they caused. If they cannot pay it then have them do labor in Jail and make them pay and not just sit on tax payer expense..

In Addition we as voters needs to be careful when we go out and vote. We in California have voted back in 2014 to let these low pity criminals get away with it.. With a slap on a wrist and then we expect things to get better...

It is sad to see someone hard earned property being destroyed and the criminals getting away with it most of the times..

We've just seen legislation in SFO to ban facial recognition. Its going to be a battle in California, and perhaps throughout other states as well.

San Francisco Bans Facial Recognition Technology

SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco, long at the heart of the technology revolution, took a stand against potential abuse on Tuesday by banning the use of facial recognition software by the police and other agencies.

The action, which came in an 8-to-1 vote by the Board of Supervisors, makes San Francisco the first major American city to block a tool that many police forces are turning to in the search for both small-time criminal suspects and perpetrators of mass carnage.

The authorities used the technology to help identify the suspect in the mass shooting at an Annapolis, Md., newspaper last June. But civil liberty groups have expressed unease about the technology’s potential abuse by government amid fears that it may shove the United States in the direction of an overly oppressive surveillance state.

My wife parked our Model 3 in a semi-busy area while she went shopping at Target at 6:30 pm last night. While shopping Sentry Mode caught some punks drive up (in a Mercedes nonetheless), break the rear quarter window, fold down the seat, realize there was nothing valuable, drove ahead to the car in front of our Tesla, peek inside their windows and then drive away. Sentry mode caught it on video. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8sCA-moDo

Some more info:
  • A police report was filed. The officer said it was the first time he had seen video from Sentry Mode.
  • The license plate on the Mercedes is from a 2014 Camaro. Not too surpising
  • My wife walked up to the car 1 minute after this happened. A bit scary but everyone is safe.
  • We did not have the seats folded down. But, my wife had put our laptops in the frunk. Thanks goodness for the frunk.
  • The Sentry Mode alarm did not trigger. I don't think the glass break was loud enough or caused enough vibration so I did not get a notification.
  • I was not expecting video because my wife said she forgot to turn on Sentry Mode but I recently got the Stats app and I believe it turned on Sentry Mode. Big kudos to the app. I recommend it.
Ironic how the thug was careful not to ding your door climbing out. In Irvine-safe city- people leave their cars running...

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Very helpfu, thank you for sharing. I have a 2016.5 model S which is not equipt with Sentry mode. I look forward to the day that Tesla offers upgrades to older vechicle as I would pay for this!

Do the 2016 Model S have cameras on the B pillar?

Late 2016’s have side cams because they are AP2 cars

The cameras in the side pillars weren't added until October of 2016. That's why you see the price of Model S much higher after that time.

I have a December 2016 Model S, 90D, and was told that if I bought the Full Self Driving option, I would get the dash cam feature and presumably the sentry feature along with it.

Just FYI on the Sentry issue for older Model S/X vehicles:

- October 2016 to early to mid-2017 Model S/X vehicles do indeed have all 8 cameras just like today's Model S/X/3.
- However, they have an older AutoPilot computer, known as Hardware 2.0.
- Modern Model S/X/3 up until April 2019 have a later revision known as Hardware 2.5.
- Current production after April 2019 is now using Hardware 3.0.
- Even though those 2016-2017 vehicles have all 8 cameras, they do not have Sentry mode because Hardware 2.0 does not support it.
- 2016-2017 Model S/X with Hardware 2.0 can be upgraded to Hardware 3.0 (and therefore get Sentry mode) with the purchase of the Full Self Driving package. However, the Hardware 3.0 computer replacement will not happen for several months, maybe into 2020.

What I would do if I were Tesla is this:
- There will be many cars that get upgraded from Hardware 2.5 to Hardware 3.0 to deliver the Full Self Driving features.
- When those computer replacements start to happen (2.5 -> 3.0), there will be a large number of used Hardware 2.5 boards available.
- Telsa should offer Hardware 2.0 -> 2.5 upgrades for those people who want Sentry mode but don't want FSD. The price should be something relatively inexpensive since this would be just bonus revenue for Tesla and it's refurbished equipment instead of new. I'm thinking $500.

I've always felt Tesla should put more into advertising. Some more commercials explaining that Teslas are always recording.
Thus creating more of a deterrent for these type of things.

However, these guys know what window to break so you would figure they would know their being recorded..
I've always felt that when Tesla needs to do advertising that would be a time to start thinking about selling the stock. That said, the video would make a great commercial, especially if they paired it with some autopilot stuff.

I don't live there anymore, but a real smart friend of mine who loved cars, and who had once broken into cars when he was younger offered this helpful tip:

Make it easy for them to get in so they don't break anything getting in: i.e. leave the doors unlocked. Yea!

BUT hook an air horn inside to go off when entry occurs without being disabled. Standard car alarm + relay + air horn.

I set this up in a VW I had at the time, and I saw it work in action one day at 4am when we were camped. Boy was they guy who opened the door surprised. They left 10' long peel out marks to get the hell out of there. Nothing was taken. Nothing was damaged.

Good luck. Camera's are not worth that much. Things that create instant fear are more valuable I think.

I've always felt that when Tesla needs to do advertising that would be a time to start thinking about selling the stock. That said, the video would make a great commercial, especially if they paired it with some autopilot stuff.

Tesla has done an incredible job without formal advertising. If you think about it, they get tons of free press - granted not all of it positive - but for the most part, when I encounter someone who does not own a Tesla, their opinion is generally favorable. TeslaCam has been getting them tons of coverage lately.

I get stopped on the road weekly with questions. This morning, a driver in a Prius stopped me for more details, asked me what I paid, and seemed interested in finding a car with better range.

Their referral program, overall customer satisfaction, and leading technology stand out. The other auto manufacturers are having to spend quite a bit on advertising to compete with Tesla (Audi comes to mind).

Reactions: tander
My wife parked our Model 3 in a semi-busy area while she went shopping at Target at 6:30 pm last night. While shopping Sentry Mode caught some punks drive up (in a Mercedes nonetheless), break the rear quarter window, fold down the seat, realize there was nothing valuable, drove ahead to the car in front of our Tesla, peek inside their windows and then drive away. Sentry mode caught it on video. Check it out:

Some more info:
  • A police report was filed. The officer said it was the first time he had seen video from Sentry Mode.
  • My wife walked up to the car 1 minute after this happened. A bit scary but everyone is safe.
  • We did not have the seats folded down. But, my wife had put our laptops in the frunk. Thanks goodness for the frunk.
  • The Sentry Mode alarm did not trigger. I don't think the glass break was loud enough or caused enough vibration so I did not get a notification.
  • I was not expecting video because my wife said she forgot to turn on Sentry Mode but I recently got the Stats app and I believe it turned on Sentry Mode. Big kudos to the app. I recommend it.

Some more info:
Sorry for your experience. Hope they catch and arrest the scumbags. You might consider replacing both of the small windows with Lexan instead of glass and use a mylar tint to match. Can't be broken with a center punch.

After trying two times, wouldn't they then just break the rear door glass instead? It wouldn't be much further of a reach to drop the rear seats...

Sounds about right. Sometimes the fix can make things worse in terms of cost. After reading about all of this, I'm not sure which location is safer to store items - the frunk (which can be opened with a 9V battery) or the Trunk.

As I understand it, the 9V battery connections in the tow port cannot be used to open the frunk unless the car's 12V battery is dead. If the 12V has power, the 9V leads are inhibited.

That is the intended operation, but people have reported that it works anyway. I'm not going to post the video, but its easy enough to find.

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 1.30.57 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
A few thoughts.

1. If you leave your car unlocked and somebody steals something or damages your your interior, then there was no "break-in" and your chances of any restitution are significantly minimized (in Calif).

2. The 9V trick doesn't need a dead 12V to work

3. Why didn't the glass breaking set off the dang alarm? So a punch still gets around the alarm??

If you have a USB stick in the car, video files are written there. I wish they would (notifications) come to the app vs coming back and seeing '7 Sentry Mode ...' thing posted up

The alerts are in my experience are just proximity video of cars or people passing nearby. I did get a Alarm notification when parked in a public garage and having dinner nearby. Headlights flashed, alarm honked, assumed interior music was playing as well along with the Red Eye on the screen, and the video was saved off. In that case no intrusion into the cabin, was set off by a car passing by with his window rolled down and we believe very loud music playing -- so triggered by sound vibration. The passing car was the only thing observed when the headlights started flashing.

Believe me you don't want to get a notification everytime someone walks or drives past your car triggering video to be saved. Save that for the Alarm state when the car detects vibration (as in someone possibly smashing your glass causing a loud noise to trigger). That said in this case of the OP, the fact that the car didn't go into Alarm mode it still was triggered b motion detection to save that video file for that event and had OP got to see the perp and the car and what he did. Unfortunately probably won't go anywhere from police level by the sounds of it.

Dashcams like the Blackvue have sensitivity settings for various factors so you can raise or lower them for when something gets coded as Event, but not sure if Tesla has this ability to adjust any settings for car motion or sound. We still drive our Model S with the parcel shelf off and my Model 3 with the rear seats down.

Our Model S was broken into down the street from that San Jose mall where OP was broken into, at a restaurant parking lot back in 2017 (Black Angus/The Fish Market/Pier One shared parking area). Rear triangular window, flipped seat and nothing in trunk. We had the parcel shelf up back then. We had our 650S-2ch Blackvue in the car at that time and I suppose the guy could have seen it but otherwise didn't seem to care when he walked up to our car, broke the window and then moved on to other vehicles parked nearby. Did major damage to an SUV taking out their whole back window and stealing a suitcase and ipad from the rear (we talked to the owners). Black perp in our case too. Someone shared footage of when their car was broken into at a Costco parking lot (along with I think he said a dozen or so other cars of all makes), in this case it was a small gang of maybe 4 similar guys doing the break ins. Both of us turned in our video footage from our dashcams into the local PD and I would love to see Bay area cops using footage of these guys faces to compile files on them. Suspect there's a couple of gangs of them doing this but let's get these guys idenitified and off the street.