Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service text saying "lock your key inside your vehicle using your app"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this right, well obviously it's right but why? I'm assuming they can remotely lock and unlock but can't drive the car without a paired key, is that right?

The thing is I may need to leave the car overnight and collect the following day and can just imagine, should the worst happen and the car gets stollen, the insurance companies reaction to "so you left your key in the car?"

Unless your problem is related to your key....I have no idea why this would be necessary.

Personally if your going to do it, I would lock it in the glovebox and then text Tesla the code. So at least if the worst were to happen and you got broken into, there would be no access to the key....

Unless your problem is related to your key....I have no idea why this would be necessary.

Personally if your going to do it, I would lock it in the glovebox and then text Tesla the code. So at least if the worst were to happen and you got broken into, there would be no access to the key....
if you are going to do that you might as well leave PIN to drive enabled and text them that code. More secure and need to txt them a code either way.

What is the car in for?
Charge port door not opening and a mechanical noise coming from the front end (like a fan blade hitting).

Anyway, girl called me yesterday and I asked about the key card, she said not to bother as it wasn't required. She said they could unlock and drive the car within their premises, which I guess kind of makes sense, so maybe depending on whether car requires a road test would determine if the key was required or not.

Anyway, just got the dreaded txt, car won't be ready this afternoon. Cant imaging changing the charge port would be a big job, so perhaps this sound I reported may be something of concern... can see this growing arms and legs :(

Charge port door not opening and a mechanical noise coming from the front end (like a fan blade hitting).

Anyway, girl called me yesterday and I asked about the key card, she said not to bother as it wasn't required. She said they could unlock and drive the car within their premises, which I guess kind of makes sense, so maybe depending on whether car requires a road test would determine if the key was required or not.

Anyway, just got the dreaded txt, car won't be ready this afternoon. Cant imaging changing the charge port would be a big job, so perhaps this sound I reported may be something of concern... can see this growing arms and legs :(

Hopefully not mate, its probably that they have found the problem at the front end but as usual, do not have the parts in stock.

My car had a coolant leak and it took them a month to get a hose....a hose.....

Reactions: plisken
They usually always ask me for the card and PIN, except for maybe once or twice. They also seem to ask for the PIN when sat in the waiting area with plenty of other people around which they shouldn't do really. They've also changed the PIN a few times and told me that it will revert back when I leave but it never does, that's quite annoying.

A better late than never update.

When car was ready, got a text to say that they had enabled a temporary pin to drive, which they had, used it once and that was that.

I can only assume that they don't need the card for normal service stuff while in the service center, whether or not this includes driving on normal roads, perhaps to diagnose a reported fault, I don't know but at a guess, I'd say they are free to drive and use certain features while in their center and mibby close proximity to.

When I took my car in I hadn’t even parked up and I got a message saying thank you for coming to the Tesla SC. I asked the tech how this worked and he explained each SC is surrounded by a WiFi geofence. If you book you car in, when you enter the geofence the SC can take control of your car, drive it, etc etc. however, if you just arrive for a charge (like at Bristols super charger), you can charge but they can’t see or access your car. It’s all to do with being booked in and it then knowing your cars MAC etc.

Very clever and I didn’t need to leave my card.

Hi, does anyone know if you can return your loan car and pick up your car outside of working hours? And what’s the process for returning the loan car?
I was able to do that at Dartford SC. I had to arrange it by calling them and they assigned a locker (shared the details with me over sms and email) where I could drop the key card for loan car and just drive away with my car.

Winchester Service Centre had a lockable "pigeonhole" lockbox setup on the reception wall adjacent to customer parking.
As part of their "touchless" service they used to ask for your key to be put in the locker (number provided by SMS) and you'd collect the loan car key the same way.
Reverse the process on completion and returning the loaner.
I never used them out of hours but presume you'd use the same method.

Now they no longer need your keycard when you take your car in for service but the lockbox mechanism presumably still works for the loaner.