Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should increase X75D 0-60 time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has nothing to do with curb weight - you're stuck in ICE physics mode. Plus you're comparing a single motor to a dual motor. It's a software limitation.

Physics is physics. There is no ICE physics vs. EV physics. Weight is absolutely a factor. The advantage of an electric motor is max torque at 0 rpm. But you're still subject the same laws of physics. a = F / m.

Reactions: diesel and BLKMDL3
True. If Elon tweets back I will ask him. It probably is though. Let's hope it gets unlocked!
I brought my car in to the service center because there was a pulsation when I accelerated (turned out to be a suspension induced harmonic imbalance with the drive shafts). I took a test drive with the service tech. He accessed a service program with the car and changed the power output to troubleshoot. He explained that all of the Teslas were software limited. He said he could get the same power output on the 75 as the 90 and vice versa. I expressed disbelief but he was pretty sure of himself. He brought up the Ludicrous plus mode and indicated it was all about wear and tear.

• Informative
  • Disagree
I brought my car in to the service center because there was a pulsation when I accelerated (turned out to be a suspension induced harmonic imbalance with the drive shafts). I took a test drive with the service tech. He accessed a service program with the car and changed the power output to troubleshoot. He explained that all of the Teslas were software limited. He said he could get the same power output on the 75 as the 90 and vice versa. I expressed disbelief but he was pretty sure of himself. He brought up the Ludicrous plus mode and indicated it was all about wear and tear.
You should have asked him to try it for a minute. I just asked my tech to change the wheels on the MCU to match my black wheels and he did.

Then why does the 100 accelerate at the same speed as the 90. I'm a broken record: software limitation.

Power (measured in Watts) is Voltage x Current (V x I). The accelerator is limiting the current delivered to inverter and motor in order to control power and consequently speed. A 75 has banks of 14 cells wires in series and those banks are in turn wired in parallel. To increase voltage, you wire cells in series. To increase current you wire cells in parallel (banks). 90 and 100 have 16 cells wired in series with the 100 having simply more banks. This is a simply explanation of why the 90 and 100 have the same 0-60 numbers and the 75 has lower because it outputs lower voltage. Yes, they can absolutely set the software to draw more current out of the 100 pack, at the expense of range, to provide better performance than the 90. Again W = VxI. But I suspect this is why the 90 and 100 have the same numbers. Tesla didn't go out of their way to map the accelerator differently. I would assume the accelerator is mapping the exact same current draw rate in a 75, 90 and 100.

Reactions: diesel
Ok, explain to me why two motors is not better than one.

Because they are smaller. There's a great drawing on the main model S page on Tesla.com. In that drawing select between the single motor, dual motor and the P100D. You will see that the single motor is double the size of the dual motors (roughly). And on the P, the rear motor is the same as the single motor and they added the front motor from the dual motor configuration. Essentially like "3" motors in the P. If my goal was to add traction without adding weight and loss of range, I would take a single motor and replace it with smaller front and rear motors. EXACTLY what Tesla did. The P simply sacrifices efficiency and range for bragging rights.

Before Tesla came out with the dual motor option, I thought about the feasibility of putting 4 motors, one at each wheel to provide the ultimate traction and control. Using 4 motors would allow you not only to control power to each wheel independently but would allow you to start building software that would torque steer a car around a tight corner. Putting more power to the outside front and rear wheels since they are spinning faster than the inside wheels in a turn.

Because they are smaller. There's a great drawing on the main model S page on Tesla.com. In that drawing select between the single motor, dual motor and the P100D. You will see that the single motor is double the size of the dual motors (roughly). And on the P, the rear motor is the same as the single motor and they added the front motor from the dual motor configuration. Essentially like "3" motors in the P. If my goal was to add traction without adding weight and loss of range, I would take a single motor and replace it with smaller front and rear motors. EXACTLY what Tesla did. The P simply sacrifices efficiency and range for bragging rights.
You're wrong. And you're conflating multiple points. The dual motor adds another motor to the front... it does not use two smaller motors instead of one larger one. The P variant had a larger rear motor but we're not talking about the P.

• Informative
  • Disagree
You're wrong. And you're conflating multiple points. The dual motor adds another motor to the front... it does not use two smaller motors instead of one larger one. The P variant had a larger rear motor but we're not talking about the P.

Really? Right from the web site
upload_2017-5-25_18-17-11.png

It's in the text too,
Conventional all-wheel drive cars employ complex mechanical linkages to distribute power from a single engine to all four wheels. This sacrifices efficiency in favor of all weather traction. In contrast, each Model S motor is lighter, smaller and more efficient than its rear wheel drive counterpart, providing both improved range and faster acceleration.

Reactions: JohnnyG
You're right. I confused it with all the P talk. What's not mentioned is the inverter size and the red shading purporting the motors size is incorrect because the P and rear wheel drive has the inverter incorporated in the red while the dual motor does not.

Shouldn't the title of this thread read "decrease" instead of "increase" 0-60 times? I certainly don't want my 0-60 time increased...just being nit picky.

It'd be nice if Tesla offers something like paying a $100 for each 0.1s off of the 0-60 time for up to 0.5s off the 0-60 time. This way it won't encroach too much on the performance models by decreasing times by only a half second and Tesla makes a few bucks for a sub-insane or crazy mode.

Before Tesla came out with the dual motor option, I thought about the feasibility of putting 4 motors, one at each wheel to provide the ultimate traction and control. Using 4 motors would allow you not only to control power to each wheel independently but would allow you to start building software that would torque steer a car around a tight corner. Putting more power to the outside front and rear wheels since they are spinning faster than the inside wheels in a turn.

I'm sure this will be coming eventually. I could see them putting it on the new Roadster.

Reactions: vandacca