Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should increase X75D 0-60 time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has nothing to do with curb weight - you're stuck in ICE physics mode. Plus you're comparing a single motor to a dual motor. It's a software limitation.
So you seriously mean that you believe that if Tesla have 800 hp on there new truck it will be able do 0-60 in 2,5 seconds even if it was four cars on the trailer? Test it yourself, can you run 100 meters the same speed if you have a weight of 40 kg carrying with you or will you sprint slower because it needs more power to accelerate a higher weight?

So you seriously mean that you believe that if Tesla have 800 hp on there new truck it will be able do 0-60 in 2,5 seconds even if it was four cars on the trailer? Test it yourself, can you run 100 meters the same speed if you have a weight of 40 kg carrying with you or will you sprint slower because it needs more power to accelerate a higher weight?
I didn't express my full thought. Weight is much more of a limitation in ICE vehicles than electric. Proof is the XP100D that does 0-60 faster than a 2800lb vehicle with 650hp (2017 Ford GT).

I didn't express my full thought. Weight is much more of a limitation in ICE vehicles than electric. Proof is the XP100D that does 0-60 faster than a 2500lb vehicle with 650hp.

I don't know that's fair, I thought torque matters more than hp for off the line and weight carrying than hp.

A diesel ICE will be affected much less by weight than a gasoline one would. EVs are still new to me, but I do have to wonder if the size and type of motors matter in being able to handle weight as well.

I'm sure at some point we might get smaller motors capable of higher maximum revolutions but offering less torque and more efficiency.

Normally, I would agree with you, but when we talk about Tesla, anything is possible... ;)

Heavier vehicle needs more horsepower/watts to accelerate faster. Therefore, needs more Volts * Amps. 75kWh battery has lower voltage, therefore needs more amps to get same power as a 85+kWh battery. More amps = more heating = more wear on the batteries and electrical components. Mechanical components take more pressure accelerating faster as well.

Perhaps they could increase it for short term testing, but it is probably more of a long term component life question.

Normally, I would agree with you, but when we talk about Tesla, anything is possible... ;)
Did it do 0-60 in 3.2 sec as P90D are able to or did it take longer time as it was heavier?

I didn't express my full thought. Weight is much more of a limitation in ICE vehicles than electric. Proof is the XP100D that does 0-60 faster than a 2800lb vehicle with 650hp (2017 Ford GT).

As mentioned above, you have to take torque in to consideration to so it's not a fair competition. Why do you believe a full size truckwith over 1000 hp don't accelerate in under 2 seconds even if it weight several tons if now neither torque or weight matters.

I don't know that's fair, I thought torque matters more than hp for off the line and weight carrying than hp.
As mentioned above, you have to take torque in to consideration to so it's not a fair competition.
Yes, EVs aren't fair to ICE counterparts. My point exactly; of course weight matters, but with the instant, massive torque of motors (specifically, in this case, Teslas), it mitigates the traditional (ICE) thought that weight makes a significant difference.

Did it do 0-60 in 3.2 sec as P90D are able to or did it take longer time as it was heavier?

As mentioned above, you have to take torque in to consideration to so it's not a fair competition. Why do you believe a full size truck with over 1000 hp don't accelerate in under 2 seconds even if it weight several tons if now neither torque or weight matters.

This is well said. This comes down to physics. IMO, Tesla doesn't get the credit here for inventing anything new but simply gets credit for being the first to leverage the characteristics of electric motors for performance and not just for alternate energy transportation. This is novel to people right now so they credit Tesla for the performance. As electric cars go mainstream, it will simply be the new norm.

I often considered whether I would buy a different make car once they're all electric. In the not too distant future where EVs are a commodity, I would still favor the other Tesla differentiators like over the air updates, a large screen for user interface and overall considerations to how software can automate sequences that are left for humans today. I.e. open garage as you pull up to your home or skip having to push a button to start a car. Those are the things I really credit to Tesla engineers and if other makers don't reach parity in these areas, I won't choose anything but Tesla.

The original thread started with if/can Tesla increase the X75D's 0-60 times. I still assume (because I haven't confirmed) that there may be a hardware limitation. As previously stated, the pack is at a lower voltage than the 90 and 100. Current is limited, in part, by the gauge of the wires. What I don't know is at max throttle, are the cars already at the maximum current that the cables can carry. If so, the only way to improve performance is to increase the voltage, increase the gauge of the wires (or run more in parallel) or swap out the inverter/motor. What I'm saying is that it isn't a foregone conclusion that it is just software limited.

Yes, EVs aren't fair to ICE counterparts. My point exactly; of course weight matters, but with the instant, massive torque of motors (specifically, in this case, Teslas), it mitigates the traditional (ICE) thought that weight makes a significant difference.
No, if you want a object from 0 to 60 miles per hour you need a certain amount of energy and if the weight goes up, the amount of energy goes up. If the object also gets higher air resistance you will need even more energy. If Model X have higher air resistance and is heavier then Model S it means that the amount of energy that is needed is higher. As the batteries, inverters and motors only can deliver a certain amount of power it means that it will take longer time until it can get a Model X up to 60 mph then the Model S. According to Wikipedia the Model X 75D weights about 10% more then Model S 75D wish should make the acceleration time 10% higher alone.

No, if you want a object from 0 to 60 miles per hour you need a certain amount of energy and if the weight goes up, the amount of energy goes up. If the object also gets higher air resistance you will need even more energy. If Model X have higher air resistance and is heavier then Model S it means that the amount of energy that is needed is higher. As the batteries, inverters and motors only can deliver a certain amount of power it means that it will take longer time until it can get a Model X up to 60 mph then the Model S. According to Wikipedia the Model X 75D weights about 10% more then Model S 75D wish should make the acceleration time 10% higher alone.

Thank you :) Isn't physics grand? I don't know why folks think Tesla has somehow invented something that has changed the math. There was a reason why the guys in that video chose a relatively light and slow Alpha Romeo to tow and race against. It makes for great entertainment but really not too surprising.

Perhaps just a choice of words. An electric motor has a flat torque curve. A diesel has a flatter torque curve than a gasoline engine.

But we're still dealing with apples an oranges. At the end of the day there's a lot of types of IcE, and a lot of types of EV motors and a lot of variables.

A chevy bolt makes 200hp, 266lb tq and weighs 3500 lbs. a BMW 320i makes 180hp and 255lb to and weighs 3295lbs. The bolt has the same flat torque curve. Both achieve 0-60 in 6.5s.