TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Software updates - Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Grenadine, Nov 3, 2019.

1. AndyEV

AndyEV Member

Agh, the Tesla software download randomizer seems to be holding out on me. Very keen to try out the sign recognition.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Fazza

Fazza Member

Yep holding out on my wheels too.. maybe a good thing

• Like x 1
  3. matsoutback

matsoutback Member

2020.40.4 installed on my M3P this morning. It seems to work pretty well and fixes up many discrepancies I have experienced with inaccurate speed signs I've lived with since owning the car. I don't have FSD, so I was pretty wrapped to still get this full update. By far the most impressive so far (2.5 months of ownership and 5500 km). I just wished the cruise control would alter the speed to the sign automatically, it does (did before update) do it some times, that data must be imbedded sporadically into the mapping. I personally find the settings for the cruise control a bit ambiguous.

• Like x 2
  4. paulp

paulp Active Member

I’ve got two identical model s delivered at the same time. We normally recieve updates within a few minutes of each other. This time however one car was out when the update came through, and its been a couple of days until the update came in for the 2nd car. I presume therefore it waits for a wifi connection when it knows one normally exists.

• Like x 1
  5. AndyEV

AndyEV Member

Yep, I think it is black cats walking under ladders with salt spraying everywhere.

6. ZeeDoktor

ZeeDoktor Member

@Vostok map based speed limits are broken, have always been broken, and can't work by design unless you have 2m or better accuracy on the vehicle position close to 100% of the time. Without a satellite based augmentation system (SBAS) that unfortunately is impossible to achieve. The US have had their SBAS (called WAAS) for many years now and it works well there, but AU/NZ are only just rolling out an augmentation system, scheduled to become operational in 2023: Australia, New Zealand commit to develop SBAS by 2023 - GPS World

But even then, temporary speed restrictions are ubiquitous throughout every populated area. So the camera based speed limits were really long overdue, but unfortunately they've somehow managed to combobulate the map based data with the visual detections, leading to (at least in my case) the same degree of unreliable speed info as before, except now with 2 error sources, and unclear indications on where the currently displayed limit is from.

Head scratch....

• Like x 2
  7. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

Well my experience is different. I’ve found the maps based speed limits to be perfectly acceptable. 2m accuracy is not needed. They are usually right within 50m or so and that is plenty good enough in my book.

The times it fails (in tunnels) are more humerous than anything else, one should know what the tunnel speed limit is when one enters it, and there are overhead reminder signs anyway. Temporary speeds zones are also usually extremely obvious - blokes in hi-vis, road barriers, traffic cones, narrowed lanes and heavy equipment are usually dead giveaways.

This is just a driver aid in any event, if one pretends to be a good driver, then one should have already seen the speed limit sign with their own eyes and registered that in their brain.

But to increase the rate of false notifications with the cameras recognising speed limit signs on the backs of buses and speed limits that apply to trucks is definitely a retrograde step and makes the system less useful, and I would like to be able to turn it off and just use the map based notifications.

• Like x 1
  8. AndyEV

AndyEV Member

Finally got 2020.40.4 today.

From a short drive around Sydney Road: It is very good at recognizing standard speed limit symbols (white background + black numbers + red circle). Doesn't pick up variable speed signs. Does pick up roadwork signs that conform to the standard speed symbols. Both sides of the road as well.

Didn't see any busses to chase, and I didn't use cruise control or autopilot, so plenty to play with for future drives.

9. paulp

paulp Active Member

I have a black cat and live at the beach....

• Funny x 1
  10. Stratman

Stratman Member

I keep a couple of wooden stakes in the frunk, seems to stop the vampire drain...

• Funny x 4
  11. paulp

paulp Active Member

What you have workers in your temporary speed zones? We just have the temporary speed zones. No workers in sight, just the odd camera car

• Funny x 3
  12. ZeeDoktor

ZeeDoktor Member

2020.40.8 installing...

13. ZeeDoktor

ZeeDoktor Member

Just bug fixes.

• Informative x 1
  14. OneSpeed

OneSpeed Member

Apparently 2020.40.4.5 and 2020.40.7 have range increases for models X and Y. Could you share the release notes for 2020.40.8?

• Like x 1
  15. ZeeDoktor

ZeeDoktor Member

16. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

So for what it's worth, i'm picking up all the normal speed signs in the car but I haven't seen a variable speed sign come up as yet.

As in the ones that are all in LED's like this:

[​IMG]

17. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

I have passed a variable speed limit during school time & it drops to 40km

18. moa999

moa999 Member

Think school zones based on the mapping data still.
    I've been passed quite a few school zones out of school hours.
    Majority have been ignored outright.
    Minority it's seen the 40 and displayed it briefly, but then the sign disappears (presumably as it matches to school zone) and no speed change
    And then once it took me to 40 (in a 60 zone)

19. Fazza

Fazza Member

Hmm likely current correlation car looks for is white background.. perhaps just needs to look for pattern of digits in a circle

20. Twiddle

Twiddle Member

I had the same experience, car detected 40km/hr school zone and then AP reduced speed, however it was the weekend so had to disengage AP to get back to 60.