Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the freeway away from obstacles, the Tesla AP functions very, very well. In slow stop and go traffic, likewise. These are also the two scenarios where we really need it most, autonomously handling tedious supervisory functions, so Tesla's software engineering focus should be on creating AP modes that are easily engaged and disengaged so as to make the semiautonomous driving seamless.
The main reason I haven't bothered buying FSD is because auto steer and adaptive cruise control are the main features I really wanted autopilot for and in most cases I find it amazing.

I wish they would sell auto park and summon as a separate upgrade feature pack for people that aren't yet interested in other FSD features.

Slightly off topic but I see they've put an expiry on premium connectivity (Model 3 SR+.) It's $16.99 per month for premium, this can be found in your account.

yep looks like the 30 day trial premium connectivity for existing Oz SR+ owners started only just today.. finishing on 18th May.

One thing does that mean spotify will work via tesla account? How about netflix? (so far have had to use my own accounts which had already for each but used data from LTE on car)

yep looks like the 30 day trial premium connectivity for existing Oz SR+ owners started only just today.. finishing on 18th May.

One thing does that mean spotify will work via tesla account? How about netflix? (so far have had to use my own accounts which had already for each but used data from LTE on car)

Sorry I'm not 100% on what you're asking but yeah here's what will and won't work if you have/don't have a subscription to premium.

Edit- If you're asking if you still need to pay for Spotify and Netflix the answer is yes.

Attachments

• A84A41C2-A95B-4A40-BB4E-798CFFD86999.jpeg
    A84A41C2-A95B-4A40-BB4E-798CFFD86999.jpeg
    725.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Informative
Reactions: Didaho
Sorry I'm not 100% on what you're asking but yeah here's what will and won't work if you have/don't have a subscription to premium.

Edit- If you're asking if you still need to pay for Spotify and Netflix the answer is yes.

Yes ok thanks. i was afraid that was the case; so the premium connectivity subscription is mainly just for the greater mobile data usage for the sim tesla has in its cars and also for the live traffic visualisation and satellite view maps (all the other features still usable by tethering off own mobile phone data plan)

Connectivity Packages Standard

Navigation

Live Traffic Visualization -
Satellite-View Maps -

Video Streaming* -
Caraoke* -
Music Streaming* -
Internet Browser* -

* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity

On another note 2020.12.5 has definitely reduced the regen braking which has messed with my one pedal driving :(
Has your regen come good again now that you have had 2020.12.5 for 10 days or so?
Cant fault mine - working as per normal. About to head off on a 350km work trip to with 100% SOC. Of course no regen initially but it will come back online when down to ~ 90% SOC.

I watched netflix from my parked model S back in late february using the tesla connectivity

I disagree regarding Spotify. If it's like the premium connectivity we have in the P's it includes a 'Tesla car' Spotify account.

Netflix you'll need to pay.

Has your regen come good again now that you have had 2020.12.5 for 10 days or so?

Not sure it's odd I feel like it still reacts slower and I find myself using the brake pedal far more often that I was before 12.5. In saying that I went through 3 versions within a couple of weeks all when I didn't have much driving to do so it could also be me just getting used to the car as well and I"m blaming the software versions :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Anubis
Yes ok thanks. i was afraid that was the case; so the premium connectivity subscription is mainly just for the greater mobile data usage for the sim tesla has in its cars and also for the live traffic visualisation and satellite view maps (all the other features still usable by tethering off own mobile phone data plan)

Connectivity Packages Standard

Navigation

Live Traffic Visualization -
Satellite-View Maps -

Video Streaming* -
Caraoke* -
Music Streaming* -
Internet Browser* -

* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity
I think you can only connect to WiFi when in Park, which would mean you would not be able to use your own mobile phone to connect to WiFi and use Tesla Spotify App while driving.
You can however use your own Spotify on the phone and play via bluetooth.

Also let's see if Elon actually reduces the price as per below.

View attachment 534141

I can't believe Elon even responded to that, Americans are paying $10USD and old mate reckons it should be $10AUD ($6.36USD) per month.

I'm all for paying less don't get me wrong but even at $16.99 that seemed pretty reasonable? You couldn't get unlimited streaming anywhere else for that price.

So you are saying every country should pay a $10USD equivalent. I disagree. Unlike the car, our data is sourced here in Australia so there is no need to benchmark it against US$.
Furthermore, Tesla unlimited streaming is not analogous to home or phone data connections, unless you actually live in your car. A simple $10pm sounds good to me. At $17 I definitely will be questioning the cost, unless the media centre offering is significantly improved..

So you are saying every country should pay a $10USD equivalent. I disagree. Unlike the car, our data is sourced here in Australia so there is no need to benchmark it against US$.
Furthermore, Tesla unlimited streaming is not analogous to home or phone data connections, unless you actually live in your car. A simple $10pm sounds good to me. At $17 I definitely will be questioning the cost, unless the media centre offering is significantly improved..

The guy was complaining specifically about a high Australian price, but it's the same as what the Americans are paying after conversion.
Hey if we end up paying $10 a month that's great, I'm just saying $17 a month seemed reasonable to me anyway.

"Testra" :)

I suspect they're not with one specific carrier but have a data eSIM on a contract with a global supplier that has individual contracts with each provider in the country so it's hopping around with whomever has coverage. I don't know this for a fact though, simply basing this on the car seemingly having decent LTE coverage in some parkings where my mobile Telstra hotspot doesn't have any or only marginal signal, yet having good signal in locations where only Telstra serves. So by the logic of deduction, it must be with Telstra, but likely not only with Telstra.

I suspect they're not with one specific carrier but have a data eSIM on a contract with a global supplier that has individual contracts with each provider in the country so it's hopping around with whomever has coverage. I don't know this for a fact though, simply basing this on the car seemingly having decent LTE coverage in some parkings where my mobile Telstra hotspot doesn't have any or only marginal signal, yet having good signal in locations where only Telstra serves. So by the logic of deduction, it must be with Telstra, but likely not only with Telstra.
That’s not how eSIMs work. eSIM just means that a physical SIM is no longer required, but the functionality, security and network access controls are implemented in software instead. To authenticate on a network, an eSIM still needs to represent a valid account with the network provider, and every SIM has a defined “Home Network” e.g. Telstra to which it will always attempt to connect to first.

An eSIM cannot randomly connect to some other network if it wants to. To connect to another service provider would require a roaming agreement to be in place between the home network provider and the roaming provider. And those agreements, where they exist, are very specific about where this can happen. They are geography based, not time of day based. Typically the geographic component is obvious - e.g. your device is in a different country, cannot see its Home Network any more, and so attempts to connect to some other network it sees (provided that network is not in the forbidden list on the SIM). If an authentication attempt with another network fails, that network is added to the forbidden list on the SIM, and the SIM will never attempt to authenticate on that network again.

The only roaming agreement I’ve heard of between Australian operators is between Optus and Vodafone in some rural areas where Optus has coverage and Vodafone doesn’t. To roam from one network to another, the device the SIM is in needs to fall out of coverage of the Home network and authenticate on the roaming network. That is completely under the control of the network operators involved, neither Tesla nor a hypothetical “global supplier” can influence that or dictate the terms under which it will or won’t happen.

I assume that in Australia, every Telstra SIM would have Optus and Vodafone AU listed as “forbidden” networks on their SIM meaning a Telstra phone will never, ever attempt to authenticate on the Optus or Vodafone networks. But Optus and Vodafone would not have each other on the forbidden list otherwise roaming couldn’t happen. But both would have Telstra as forbidden.

Emergency (000) calls are the only exception because no authentication is done to make an emergency call, so the phone can make one on any network it sees.