Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So should we just expect minor tweaks and bug fixes in the meantime?

...probably jut means you'll need hardware version 4 to run it.

Generally a rewrite means core just can't cut it or is too inefficient, at least with the present V3 hardware. They have done an amazing job thus far, but I don't think camera based FSD( or at least with the current cameras) will do the job. You just have to look at your screen at night and 'see' all of the things that the cameras don't see but that they picked up in the day time. Our eyes perform way better at night than the camera's. Can't see how any amount of AI will help when there is little or no video at the inputs.

Maybe with a new core they can get some incremental improvements but it sounds like the rewrite was a sizable setback.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Currently downloading 2020.24.6.4 update - this might be Australia/New Zealand only update to allow non-confirmation to proceed through green lights if there is a lead vehicle. Canada got 2020.24.6.3 the other day.

Checked TeslaFi and TeslaScope and it's not showing there yet.

Will update on the release one it's installed.

Install has competed and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta) is no longer listed in the release notes, but the option to enable is still available in the Autopilot settings. I hope it is still available as I found it to work relatively well even though it is still early days - I'm happy to "teach" it how to drive ;-)

Will need to go for a drive and see if anything has changed.

Reactions: Hairyman
...probably jut means you'll need hardware version 4 to run it.

Generally a rewrite means core just can't cut it or is too inefficient, at least with the present V3 hardware. They have done an amazing job thus far, but I don't think camera based FSD( or at least with the current cameras) will do the job. You just have to look at your screen at night and 'see' all of the things that the cameras don't see but that they picked up in the day time. Our eyes perform way better at night than the camera's. Can't see how any amount of AI will help when there is little or no video at the inputs.

Maybe with a new core they can get some incremental improvements but it sounds like the rewrite was a sizable setback.

IIRC the cameras in the v3 harness are 12bit with additional luminance filtering (sacrifice colour information for brightness). This in theory should be enough to detect patterns to the same degree as humans.

Up until now, all the FSD software has worked with HW2. I would presume that PlaidNet is HW3 and is able to fully exploit the Computational efficiency of that ASIC.

I think that Tesla has spent a more time labelling (I.e teaching) humans and bicycles in unlit areas. They show up far more accurately than other cars at night, can’t often be seen by radar and form part of the AEB. I’m fairly confident that the sensor suite is able to achieve FSD to a level 4 standard. Level 5 on the other hand probably does require a larger neural to get into the 11 9s of reliability and therefore greater computing power.

On that note I believe MCU3/HW4 will be swappable on current MCU2/HW3 Cars. Albeit not for free. I’d happily pay $5k to get in essence a super computer in my car.

Is this a new step? Never noticed it before
15940919554064124107262713337540.jpg

@jason66 if I pull the stalk when the "there's a light ahead" (either 100m or 200m out) message shows up it will go through the light, but will stop if they light changes after pulling the stalk. In the previous version it used to be far more insistent on stopping at the light especially when pulling the stalk early at the 200m out warning - there always came a 100m and a 75m warning on top of the 200m one that I had already cleared. So there is some change, but it's not as automatic as in the US.