Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2020.28.5 a few days ago. It improved very little, but it wrecked Autosteer through large intersections. Lane hunting as you exited the intersection improved dramatically in 2020.24.6.9 but now it's just as bad as I've ever experienced in 2020.28.5.

(You notice these things as an Uber driver)

2020.28.5 means that its the 5th build attempt of the software branch created on the 28th week of the 2020.

2020.24.6.9 means that several incremental changes were made while "checked out" to the 6th build attempt of the codebase created on the 24th week. That .9 at the end means that this branch has gone off and had changes made that won't necessarily make it back into the main branch (2020.xx) straight away.

Therefore things can regress in certain ways (like what you describe) and then eventually get pulled back into the master branch.

I wouldn't therefore get too hung up on regressions like this. Tesla don't care about your incremental experience. Their only mission right now is to launch FSD we are all simply along for the ride for better or for worse.

So for the eastern suburbs Melbourne Tesla drivers I saw something interesting on a drive today, the North East Link which isn't due to open till 2027 is in the maps.

upload_2020-7-31_18-57-14.png

When I was downloading 2020.28.6 I noticed some strange behaviour with the progress bar. I thought it had finished and then noticed it has started over again. Then it went back and forth between where I guess it was actually at and 100%. You can see this in the video below.

I don't normally pay attention to the download progress, but I had to wait outside before parking the car underground (no signal). Is this "normal", or a regression?

Nothing much on the update release notes other than support for Polish.

Strange behaviour indeed. I do wish it would also give an indication (in Mb) of the size of the download.

I've now worked out how to use a public wifi spot for downloading updates while charging.
Using an old 3in1 Wireless router to repeat the signal after logging in to the interstitial page with my mobile.
Notably need to pick a spot where the Wifi channel is 1-11 as Tesla's won't detect higher channels that can be used in Aus.

When I was downloading 2020.28.6 I noticed some strange behaviour with the progress bar. I thought it had finished and then noticed it has started over again. Then it went back and forth between where I guess it was actually at and 100%. You can see this in the video below.

I don't normally pay attention to the download progress, but I had to wait outside before parking the car underground (no signal). Is this "normal", or a regression?

Nothing much on the update release notes other than support for Polish.

This is because the download is multi part. Each update is divided into chunks and downloaded in parallel. It also allows you to resume updates as each verified part is kept. Towards the end of a download when there are only 1 or 2 parts remaining the progress bar will do eratic things.

EDIT: Or it could be that a download was triggered twice by accident and there were two downloads happening in parallel. Not a big deal for the consumer but quite pricy for Tesla on the CDN usage.

Last edited:
I installed it yesterday. Now I can't wake the car up from the app. LTE connection is strong in the car so that's not the problem. I tried buttons/brake resetting the car and still no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue?
I actually started noticing that issue a few days ago. I was on 2020.28.5 when I first started noticing it. I've just applied the 2020.28.6 update this morning and looks like the issue is still there.
A little tip. If your phone key is in range, you can unlock and relock the car and it wakes it up.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I actually started noticing that issue a few days ago. I was on 2020.28.5 when I first started noticing it. I've just applied the 2020.28.6 update this morning and looks like the issue is still there.
A little tip. If your phone key is in range, you can unlock and relock the car and it wakes it up.
Thanks for the insight. I was previously on 2020.24.6.9 with no issues. I might log a service request with Tesla and see if they have any thoughts.

I've noticed exactly the same thing (and the same workaround) today with 2020.28.6 as well.

If you jump into the car without waking it first, you'll notice the "no signal" LTE symbol appears on the screen for a moment before it connects to your wifi - it seems to be sleeping the radio more now?

Last edited:
I installed it yesterday. Now I can't wake the car up from the app. LTE connection is strong in the car so that's not the problem. I tried buttons/brake resetting the car and still no luck.

Yes same problem here, but apparently its quite ok for computer programmers to not check their work before delivery.

yap heaps of people have complained about this. I have also had this issue on the 3. the car wakes if you open the door manually.

I'd be interested to know how widespread this issue is. Is there anybody that CAN wake their car remotely? What version are you on?

2020.28.6 - someone else on a big qld tesla group had the same issue as well yesterday. It doesnt happen all the time but I had it yesterday and then again this morning.
Restarting the phone or the app or using teslafi makes no difference - you have to manually wake the car by pulling on the door handle.

I also got around 20km degradation (from 490km down to 470km at 100%) with the .24 update... The last couple of updates suck.

Yes same problem here, but apparently its quite ok for computer programmers to not check their work before delivery.

I understand that mistakes happen and make it through testing sometimes - I just wish there was a better way to report bugs with the Tesla software. It feels a bit silly to request a service appointment just to report that, to pick one example, some of the songs in Caraoke just don't play.