Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the car have to be charging and connected to wifi to update?
It has to be connected to WiFi to download an update (but once downloaded, it can be installed at any time), but it doesn’t need to be plugged in.

You will be notified that a new software update is available even if the car is not connected to WiFi (i.e., that is done over the 4G network) but the update won’t be downloaded unless the car is connected to WiFi directly or via your phone in hotspot mode.

Just spent 1938.25km in my car over the past 24 hours. What good fun that was - came home chasing thunderstorms ~2am last night and got all the bugs off from the 1900km prior. Kept myself nicely positioned between thunderstorms until I caught up with that supercell in front of me (see radar animation). Reminiscent of many a summer flight in the tropics...

Software update wise, absolutely no change. It still has trouble with auto lane change from right to left lane on the entire M31/A31 and it also still thinks trucks in the distance ahead at night are traffic lights.

Learned one new thing from Tesla support who finally got fed up with me lodging service requests for bugs: When you use the bug report feature in the car, you can describe the problem in a short sentence and either lead or trail "bug report" and it'll save your description with the bug report.

My main problem is to get the car to understand me when I say "bug report" - literally 9 out 10 times it'll hear me say "ford factory" or "buccaneer port" or "back report". Supremely frustrating. Sure I have a an accent, but is it really that bad?

Attachments

• IMG_2279.gif
    IMG_2279.gif
    695.7 KB · Views: 56
>>My main problem is to get the car to understand me when I say "bug report"<<

It's not just bug reports though, is it?
My S is absolutely useless at voice recognition.
Even when it prints out correctly what I've said half the time it then does something entirely different.

Reactions: paulp
>>My main problem is to get the car to understand me when I say "bug report"<<

It's not just bug reports though, is it?
My S is absolutely useless at voice recognition.
Even when it prints out correctly what I've said half the time it then does something entirely different.
Interestingly, my car understands really well most commands I give it. Temperature changes, glovebox and music requests all work perfectly, also navigation destinations have not had issues with my voice, however as soon as I mention "bug report" It chooses random words in its place. I have tried 30-40 times and have given up trying to use "bug report" voice command as so far I have not been successful in it understanding that even once.
I suspect they have done that on purpose, so people would not send them that many bug reports...

When trying to issue the "bug report" command, it like this cartoon "Escape from planet Earth" where Gary is traying to cancel the self destruct on an escape capsule and the computer keeps saying random words like "banana"....

Last edited:
I have tried 30-40 times and have given up trying to use "bug report" voice command as so far I have not been successful in it understanding that even once.
We’re all speaking differently (especially in QLD 😉). But I agree, the problem is most of us can’t speak US English and I wish the developers would at least give us British English. That said, my strike rate is better than yours although it is worse now than in my first year of ownership.

Typical dialogue:

Me: Zoom the map scale in
Car: (Shows the received text above the mic icon) Zoom the map scale in
Car: Zooming map scale in (Below the mic icon)
Display: Map scale is increased

Me: Zoom the map scale OUT
Car: (Shows the received text above the mic icon) Zoom the map scale OUT
Car: Zooming map scale IN (Below the mic icon)
Display: Map scale is INCREASED

I can't guarantee the exact wording but that's what happens consistently with map scaling. And consistently with many other commands - the thing actually repeats exactly what I've said then proceeds to do something else, in many cases absolutely nothing to do with the command.
Not to mention the percentage of commands that it doesn't actually repeat correctly.
My English is fairly standard English without any real accent.

I'm guessing we are not getting a live camera feed in Au.

Yes, a lot we don't get....like we are still waiting for FSD Beta on those that have paid $10k+ for it....the car will be 4 years old soon and still will not get the benefit of FSD....when they says things are coming "soon" and they still have not been released 2 years later I think that is a misrepresentation....

Hasn't Tesla heard of "under promise, over deliver"?

Took the car out for a longer drive yesterday on version 2021.44.6, a few observations:
- LTE seems worse, I need to wake the car up to use summon
- Car now recognises and shows that it is connected to WiFi, but still refuses to join my network 🤷‍♂️
- FSD did a few funny things like random lane changes on the highway

Yes, a lot we don't get....like we are still waiting for FSD Beta on those that have paid $10k+ for it....the car will be 4 years old soon and still will not get the benefit of FSD....when they says things are coming "soon" and they still have not been released 2 years later I think that is a misrepresentation....

Hasn't Tesla heard of "under promise, over deliver"?
Yep .. FSD waste of money, i wish i had used my 10k to buy tesla shares or crypto instead

Took the car out for a longer drive yesterday on version 2021.44.6, a few observations:
- Car now recognises and shows that it is connected to WiFi, but still refuses to join my network 🤷‍♂️
You have FSD (as in USA version) or paid for FSD and it's still really hobbled to Enhandced Auto Pilot?

Yep .. FSD waste of money, i wish i had used my 10k to buy tesla shares or crypto instead
I don't think we'll ever see FSD (FSD as in the original definition of autonomous level 4 or even 5) in present cars.
FSD as in beta, possibly but unlikely outside the US. I don't think Tesla had much idea of just how different places have wildly differing rules and traffic conditions - blimey the 50 US states have different traffic rules!
And what has become fashionable to call "edge cases" are 99% of the time no more than what we as drivers cope with every day without conscious effort - and when we can't work something "edge casey" out we can reverse out of it or decide to do something unorthodox. I see no likelihood of the car being able to do this sort of thing, clever though they appear in videos.

- Car now recognises and shows that it is connected to WiFi, but still refuses to join the network 🤷‍♂️
Safe to assume it's the hobbled-to-EAP since proper FSD isn't available outside the US yet.
yes hobbled FSD

My main problem is to get the car to understand me when I say "bug report" - literally 9 out 10 times it'll hear me say "ford factory" or "buccaneer port" or "back report". Supremely frustrating. Sure I have a an accent, but is it really that bad?
Same here. One day, after it failed to recognise an unrelated bug report I was trying to submit, I decided to have fun with it and tried "bug report voice recognition doesn't understand bug report" multiple times until it finally worked... wonder what the engineers made of it :D

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
Same here. One day, after it failed to recognise an unrelated bug report I was trying to submit, I decided to have fun with it and tried "bug report voice recognition doesn't understand bug report" multiple times until it finally worked... wonder what the engineers made of it :D
They made nothing of it because it did not go t the engineers. When you create a but report all you are doing is creating a time stamped event record that Tesla may go back and look at one day when you are getting it serviced and you tell them there was an issue you want them to look at. There is a perception that these are getting sent straight to Tesla but this is not the case.