Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some recent software updates appear to have changed the behaviour of climate control.

One of the first things I do when I park in my garage is turn off the climate control from the touch screen because I hate it coming on every time to open any door of the car to get stuff out to put stuff in.

A few months ago I remember turning on climate control with my phone so it would cool the car down before I got to it. When I got home I turned off climate control from the touch screen as I normally do. The next day I got a notification on my phone that the cabin was at the right temperature (and the battery had lost over 10% of charge overnight. It appears the climate control was still on.

Since that incident, if I turn climate on remotely, I turn it off remotely before I get back to the car. The turning on and off with the app worked separately from the touch screen. When I'd get back to the car and open the door, climate control would come back on as normal.

In a recent update, they seem to have merged the remote and touchscreen behaviour.

So, I leave the car with climate control switched on with the touchscreen. I close the door and climate control goes off. I come back to the car, open the door and climate control comes back on as it always did. Now, if I turn climate control on remotely and then turn it off again remotely, when I get back to the car it doesn't come back on when I open the door and it is off on the touchscreen.

Has anyone else noticed this?
No thats not how mine behaves. If I turn climate on after going into park and leave the car climate stays on until I return. App works as expected and the only way the climate stays on at home is if I leave a door open (same as you), which is annoying.

No thats not how mine behaves. If I turn climate on after going into park and leave the car climate stays on until I return. App works as expected and the only way the climate stays on at home is if I leave a door open (same as you), which is annoying.
Oh perhaps the way I explained it was confusing.

How it worked originally: App and touchscreen worked independently, and I could turn on climate from the app while I was away from the car. It would stay on until I got back to the car and from then on it would behave like I hadn't turned it on remotely. This is how I liked it.

For a (short?) period after one of the updates: App and touchscreen worked independently, but for some reason climate stayed on even after returning to the car. Because of this, I would turn off climate with the app, which didn't affect the touchscreen setting.

After a recent update: App and touchscreen don't appear to be independent anymore. If I turn climate on and then off remotely, climate does not come on when I open the door, i.e. it is off on the touchscreen, too.

After a recent update: App and touchscreen don't appear to be independent anymore. If I turn climate on and then off remotely, climate does not come on when I open the door, i.e. it is off on the touchscreen, too.

Well, after dabbling more in the Tesla API than I probably ever wanted to, the Tesla App is intended to be nothing more than a remote portal to the in-car screen, and changes in one are mirrored in the other. An increasing number of things which previously could only ever be changed on the console have now been ported to the App and synced through the same API.

So if there was a period of time when it didn’t work that way, that was a bug, not a feature.

@atj777

On the other hand, I use the remote climate a fair bit, and pretty much always just turn it on remotely, then get into the car and drive, and I've never had the issue you saw where the climate remained running after you next parked it, so if there was a bug there, I believe it is long since fixed.

(You do need to go into "drive" to cancel the remote climate request, though - just opening and closing the doors, or unlocking and locking, won't do it).

After 2021.44.6 I found the browser and the TV greyed out. Rebooting seems to have solved that today - I should have thought of it!
Since getting the car, the first year I just did the updates and then ended up needing to reboot some time within the first week after the update because of random strange things happening or not working properly, so, I have got to a habit of every time after installing an update doing a reboot on the car (even though car reboots during update), appears to solve a large number of random strange behaviors after each update :)

Elon's latest tweet is that public release of holiday update will be tomorrow evening.

Screenshot_20211223-105553.png

So Thu evening US time, which is probably Friday afternoon for East Coast Australia (historically they've been very close to midnight California time - which is 7pm Sydney)