Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car does not get updates so I have not seen the new blind spot camera display. But the more I think about it, the more I think they will be a bit of a useless gimmick. Having to look down to the left at the centre screen to see if a vehicle is behind you on the right hand side strikes me as counter intuitive. Whereas the orange light on the wing mirrors that modern cars is totally intuitive. Are those of you with the blind spot display actually finding them useful or a distraction?

Same place where I used to look for the red car.

Think it would be better on the other part of the screen so it doesn't cover the drive part.. maybe in a circle and surrounded by a red circle if the car is detecting something.

If you aren't getting updates and want them. Log a service request.
Did that today after not getting it and it was pushed in under 10min.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
So you're saying that every Tesla you've owned has gotten worse, and received less or no extra features with software updates?
Thats a good point. I have recieved fart mode, a fire place, and some games. So yes I’ve enjoyed new features whilst my autopilot has gone backwards, my voice recognition gone backwards, and the wipers…well they just stayed hopeless. I havn’t paid for FSD because I dont need it, but is this the “last car I’ll ever need to own”. Well if fireplaces and games are the thing than yes, probably. But its not my thing and no, its not the last car I will own but it is the last tesla I’ll own. It was better when I took delivery. The bug hunting with every ‘upgrade’ is fun though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wol747
My car has definitely got better over the 2.5 years of ownership. The first few months even gave my car bunch of extra (kw) power and the rest has been mostly software functions, but the car is much better than it was when I bought it. And to be clear, I did buy the car for the things it had at the time of purchase and not for the stuff that might get added. That was the main reason I did not go for the FSD option, as I did not have the extra cash but also, I dont like purchasing something that is not ready and has a moving timeframe for future release. Made that mistake once with Star Citizen game and not doing that again.
Lets see if you still feel the same later in ownership when tesla start breaking some of the features you enjoy

My car does not get updates so I have not seen the new blind spot camera display. But the more I think about it, the more I think they will be a bit of a useless gimmick. Having to look down to the left at the centre screen to see if a vehicle is behind you on the right hand side strikes me as counter intuitive. Whereas the orange light on the wing mirrors that modern cars is totally intuitive. Are those of you with the blind spot display actually finding them useful or a distraction?
My “last car that I’ll ever need to own” doesnt come with either feature, so cannot answer that question

It's that bad huh?
One of my 'selling points' to missus is we're going to keep our Tesla for 10 years at least. Seems like I'd have to find some other things to sell to her
Well it wouldn’t have been the last tesla if the roadster scam got delivered, and looking at the pace the market is catching up at and my preference for 5 year maximum ownership I’d be shocked if tesla is making my optimum car late in 2022, not that they are selling such in Australia…
I’m sure your tesla will last you 10 years.

Lets see if you still feel the same later in ownership when tesla start breaking some of the features you enjoy
Thats fair. I have only had mine for short time, so some of the "new cool toy" novelty is still there for me. I actually am planning to keep mine for a longer term. It has been 2.5 years so far, now in about 5.5 years my son will come of age that he will want a car. I would suspect by then I have had the car for 8 years so I might look to upgrade mine and pass this one on to him if it is still in good order. Though that plan depends on if P platers are then allowed to drive Tesla, as I suspect currently they are slightly over the power to weight ratio for P platers.
So long story short, I do plan to stick with it for 8 years and then will see.

Same place where I used to look for the red car.
Precisely. I find it counter intuitive to look at the screen to see the red car rather than looking in the direction I am going to merge. So I don't use it. I Suspect blind spot camera will be similar.

If you aren't getting updates and want them. Log a service request.
Did that today after not getting it and it was pushed in under 10min.
Done that twice. no joy. My car does not have an update stuck. It just does not get updates anymore.

I found and interesting feature in the latest software update that allows me to drive near 60 km/h in the parked position with a door open. :)

I hit both buttons to reset the car as we were driving and it came back to normal.

My daughter was devastated that she can no longer play Sky Force Reloaded while I'm driving the car after the latest update, thus we are back to Caraoke.

After losing 3 tyres on my M3P to potholes and dodgy roads I miss having easy access to the tyre inflation pressures. I don't understand why it's not an option just to display them beside each tyre in the normal driving view.

We witnessed a near accident when someone got frustrated with the queue at a tip (everyone cleaning up on the holidays!) and spun around to do a U turn across the road. A car had to break hard to avoid hitting the idiot as he came across the road. Anyway, I'm like how to do I save this clip? I still don't know the required action on the screen, so just used a voice command and that worked, "save dashcam." I think you can use "save cam", as that's what the command came up as.

I find the blind spot views to be useful at slower speeds when I have time to check. However, they are partially blocked by my hand on the wheel, so they need a different position option.

Otherwise, I'm OK with the changes.

PXL_20211229_034410199.jpg

Reactions: Leeroy
I found and interesting feature in the latest software update that allows me to drive near 60 km/h in the parked position with a door open. :)

I hit both buttons to reset the car as we were driving and it came back to normal.

My daughter was devastated that she can no longer play Sky Force Reloaded while I'm driving the car after the latest update, thus we are back to Caraoke.

After losing 3 tyres on my M3P to potholes and dodgy roads I miss having easy access to the tyre inflation pressures. I don't understand why it's not an option just to display them beside each tyre in the normal driving view.

We witnessed a near accident when someone got frustrated with the queue at a tip (everyone cleaning up on the holidays!) and spun around to do a U turn across the road. A car had to break hard to avoid hitting the idiot as he came across the road. Anyway, I'm like how to do I save this clip? I still don't know the required action on the screen, so just used a voice command and that worked, "save dashcam." I think you can use "save cam", as that's what the command came up as.

I find the blind spot views to be useful at slower speeds when I have time to check. However, they are partially blocked by my hand on the wheel, so they need a different position option.

Otherwise, I'm OK with the changes.

View attachment 749474

I love seeing the pictures of the new UI as I haven’t got my car yet. Hoping mine comes with the new one installed already.
Are there any other pictures of the new UI and how things are laid out?

Are those of you with the blind spot display actually finding them useful or a distraction?
Useless, and am turning it back off. As you say, it’s counter-intuitive, and fights using the mirrors. A blind-spot light on the wing mirror would be more useful.

I get that we are “getting something for nothing”, but I also think just because something can be done is not always a good reason to do it. Good user-interface design is a well-developed science (and a bit of an art).

Plus, my left hand obscures part of the camera, anyway.

Last edited:
The bit I'll find most annoying is removal of quick access to the driver profile menu. If my wife unlocks the car but I'm driving - or vice-versa - I have to manually switch it back to my profile every time I get in.
I am with you 100% on this one. I got into my car for the first time after I installed the update to put my foot on the brake pedal and nearly have my nuts crushed against the steering wheel because the driver profile was not on the screen where it used to be and it defaulted to my wife's driving position. That put me in a bad mood with the interface from the very beginning.
Positives
They fixed the issue with Spotify not updating the playlist when streaming "Radio"
It appears they fixed the issue with the wipers because they worked well yesterday when driving in the rain
I can now show my vehicle image without the aero covers on the wheels
Blind spot camera is good but like some have said before, should only need it for lane changing. I turned it off.
Negatives
Pretty much everything else. I hate everything being put under sub-menus such as tyre pressures, battery usage and odometers.
The media interface now sucks too. My radio defaults to large screen when selecting presets and all my presets now get buried amongst the Spotify playlists.

I am with you 100% on this one. I got into my car for the first time after I installed the update to put my foot on the brake pedal and nearly have my nuts crushed against the steering wheel because the driver profile was not on the screen where it used to be and it defaulted to my wife's driving position. That put me in a bad mood with the interface from the very beginning.
Positives
They fixed the issue with Spotify not updating the playlist when streaming "Radio"
It appears they fixed the issue with the wipers because they worked well yesterday when driving in the rain
I can now show my vehicle image without the aero covers on the wheels
Blind spot camera is good but like some have said before, should only need it for lane changing. I turned it off.
Negatives
Pretty much everything else. I hate everything being put under sub-menus such as tyre pressures, battery usage and odometers.
The media interface now sucks too. My radio defaults to large screen when selecting presets and all my presets now get buried amongst the Spotify playlists.
Same drama with the ‘nut crushing.’
I’ve leavened if you grab the seat positioner, it stops any further travel until you can find your profile.

Anyone else not getting the navigation update? I saw some others here getting it and multiple videos in YouTube from Aussie tesla owners getting the update.
Best not get concerned about the mysteries of tesla update timing. You might be months late this time but a month before everyone else at another. Its one of life‘s mysteries.
Nav updates require a solid wifi connection though.