Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2022.4.5.5 a few days ago and first time having issues after an update!

No voice command when navigating and steering wheel volume control would not control music volume, but controlling navigation volume (yes when voice command not working). Tesla confirms it is a known issue and will be fixed in the next update :(

The only thing in the release notes for me was another notification that you can save a camera feed from the camera icon on the bottom - nothing else.
That was the first thing I did, when the update completed, I pulled that camera icon to the icon list at the bottom of screen, Its been really good as it also shows when camera is not available with a little red x on the camera icon. I also noticed that most of the time now I have a small icon on the top left of the screen showing if I'm connected to wifi or LTE when I get in the car and the car is still in park. They seem to have started adding back many of the information/status icons that they removed with the UI update, so things are getting back to their useful state. The little compass is back when navigation destination is not set. They do still hide most of those icons when navigation starts but its a step in right direction.

… it turns out my car somehow lost its Wi-Fi connection in the garage and so was not downloading any new updates. I only noticed that a few days ago. I re-connected the car to Wi-Fi and presumably it will soon notify me of a more recent update.

I think you'll find you'll be notified of updates whether you have Wifi or not. You'll just need Wifi to download it.

I think you'll find you'll be notified of updates whether you have Wifi or not. You'll just need Wifi to download it.
Im with Vostok on this, I have had a few updates, software versions, that do not show up on the phone app and announce update availability. Have had to go in the car and go to the controls menu to look at the software version, and only then it checks for updates and tells you that you have one available and even then the phone app stays silent until the update has been downloaded and applied.

Given you both appear to have Model 3s I'd say that's out of the ordinary..

Request a Service in the app. Describe that you appear to be stuck on an older version and they can normally clear it remotely pretty quickly.
Well, as a first step, I would make sure car is in a well connected wifi, then use the steering wheel buttons and brake pedal to reboot the car (hold down both steering wheel buttons and brake pedal for a few seconds until car reboots), then give it 10 minutes and go to the menu -> software section and see if it starts detecting available update. Sometimes it just needs a reboot to get things rolling. If that does not work, then open the tesla app on your phone and lodge a service about not receiving updates, they will contact you shortly and try to push one.

P.S. forgot the most important part... Jump on one leg around the car and pray to the update gods making promises you never intend to keep ... and then check for updates again :)

Last edited:
Tesla brags it's a software company, but its UI software is shocking - like a school project in programming.
Most people who've worked in Software Development would know that what most likely happened is that the team HAD to get the software update out before Christmas so Elon could tweet about the light show (deadlines are usually something more arbitrary and mundane that you only find out about after the fact, e.g. CEO's wife's birthday).

The development team then cut some corners in testing UI changes in actual cars, they probably got some additional must have features snuck in, and then pulled late nights just to get it live before Christmas (notice how the influencers got the release about the same time as the rest of the fleet). Corners were cut with the unspoken understanding that they could fix the bugs after the holidays.

Par for the course for most enterprise software projects, but far from what's expected from a company that brags it's a software company. Their UX team is probably still taking a long hard look at themselves in the mirror every morning.

Most people who've worked in Software Development would know that what most likely happened is that the team HAD to get the software update out before Christmas so Elon could tweet about the light show (deadlines are usually something more arbitrary and mundane that you only find out about after the fact, e.g. CEO's wife's birthday).

The development team then cut some corners in testing UI changes in actual cars, they probably got some additional must have features snuck in, and then pulled late nights just to get it live before Christmas (notice how the influencers got the release about the same time as the rest of the fleet). Corners were cut with the unspoken understanding that they could fix the bugs after the holidays.

Par for the course for most enterprise software projects, but far from what's expected from a company that brags it's a software company. Their UX team is probably still taking a long hard look at themselves in the mirror every morning.
It's not just one or two updates though, is it?
The whole UI has bugs and disparate ways of doing things. The browser, Netflix, YouTube etc all do things in different ways. It shows a basic lack of programming expertise at the planning level.