Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received 2023.26.1 today but it doesn't seem to have the "Charge on Excess" function that I understood it contains. I checked my Powerwall but its version is 23.12.2 (I think you need the .10 version). Has anyone else found the Charge on Excess available?

You do need .10 on the Powerwall gateway apparently. I see from the notes on Notateslaapp that Charge on Excess does not apply in Australia. Presumably because we haven’t had .10 on the Powerwall gateway software yet. I’m not sure if that is because of the way Tesla is rolling out the function or because of some regulatory issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Has anyone else found the Charge on Excess available?
My car is always a “last quartile” kind of car for updates, and my PowerWall is still on firmware 23.12.2, so even before I saw Tesla saying last week that the feature was only for USA/Canada initially (sigh, I guess because the sun shines upside down here or something…) I wasn’t holding my breath for it to become available.

FYI, this is the information page on “Charge on Solar” at Tesla: Charge on Solar | Tesla Support

I’m very much looking forward to it.

How is it that opensource projects have been able to do this years ago, or 3rd party wall chargers etc. but we hang out for Telsa to do it and then see that nearly all Model S/X in Australia will never work with it!

2023-07-20_15-33-13.png

• Informative
Reactions: (crunch) and paulp
Charge on Excess does not apply in Australia. Presumably because we haven’t had .10 on the Powerwall gateway software yet. I’m not sure if that is because of the way Tesla is rolling out the function or because of some regulatory issue.

I suspect it’s a commercial issue. Charge on Excess requires regular API communication with the car, probably every few minutes, to start &/or stop charging, as well as adjusting the charge rate (Amps) up and down to track the excess solar.

If the car is not on WiFi, then that communication happens over the cellular network, meaning the volume of data transmitted per SIM would likely skyrocket, possibly above what Tesla’s commercial agreement with Telstra permits.

So they might only allow it for cars that are paying the $10/mo for Premium Connectivity. Or work out a way to only allow it on cars that are connected to WiFi at the time. Or be in the process of renegotiating their SIM plans with Telstra as we speak to permit it at no extra charge to owners.

This is just my hypothecating… I have no inside information.