Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I agree Vostok

I think a better argument is that a reasonable person reasonably expects the MCU to last as its a merchantable quality good. A key part of the vehicle cooking soon after the warranty just isnt what should be reasonably expected - an MCU undamaged by the owner should simply last for the long term.

Yes I agree Vostok

I think a better argument is that a reasonable person reasonably expects the MCU to last as its a merchantable quality good. A key part of the vehicle cooking soon after the warranty just isnt what should be reasonably expected - an MCU undamaged by the owner should simply last for the long term.
I think this is the better strategy. In 20+ years of IT experience I have never seen software brick a piece of hardware. Firmware on the other hand- - -.
What I would also argue, is that the MCU is a multi part component and I have had parts of mine replaced under warranty, the Gyro board in my case, why can’t the faulty memory, system board or component be replaced.

I suspect the challenge would be proving that the software update fried your CPU. It could be nothing more than a coincidence that one happened after the other. Correlation is not Causation.

That's true, however the implied warranty (according to the ACCC) is a component such as the MUC should last a lot more than 4 years...a lessor important part Tesla could argue the warranty stands.

I would push for reimbursement.

Reactions: MickyD
That's true, however the implied warranty (according to the ACCC) is a component such as the MUC should last a lot more than 4 years...a lessor important part Tesla could argue the warranty stands.

I would push for reimbursement.
Hi Folks,
Thanks very much for the feedback. Very helpful. I will push for a reimbursement. I'll let you know how it pans out (but it may take some time as I doubt that Tesla will roll over at the first request).
Cheers,
Leo

I would put in a service call if you are having issues. Auto high beam was fixed and has been working well since the 2023.20.x updates.
Hmmm, maybe I should. My experience has been that it behaves well in terms of dipping for oncoming traffic, or when coming up behind or following another car - this works every time. But on a windy unlit road in the dark with no other traffic (e.g. Greenhill Rd, noting you're in Adelaide), for me at least, it will dip randomly every 10 or 15 seconds. It often seem to happen approaching a sharp bend and so I think it may be being confused by reflections from road furniture like chevrons, but there's no clear pattern. It's frequent enough, and distracting enough, that I can't use it. I had another car previously with auto main beams that didn't have this issue on the same stretches of road. If it's working well for others on unlit country roads, though, maybe I should put in a service call, but I can't think what they'd do about it - it feels like a software thing. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the software update thread!

Hmmm, maybe I should. My experience has been that it behaves well in terms of dipping for oncoming traffic, or when coming up behind or following another car - this works every time. But on a windy unlit road in the dark with no other traffic (e.g. Greenhill Rd, noting you're in Adelaide), for me at least, it will dip randomly every 10 or 15 seconds. It often seem to happen approaching a sharp bend and so I think it may be being confused by reflections from road furniture like chevrons, but there's no clear pattern. It's frequent enough, and distracting enough, that I can't use it. I had another car previously with auto main beams that didn't have this issue on the same stretches of road. If it's working well for others on unlit country roads, though, maybe I should put in a service call, but I can't think what they'd do about it - it feels like a software thing. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the software update thread!
Its a software issue. You havn’t hijacked

I just installed 2023.26.8 this afternoon. Release notes just said minor bug fixes.

I've been having a problem with my phone not being able to unlock the car. Placing the phone on the pillar didn't work sometimes and I'd get notifications that the doors were unlocked after I had walked away. I'm hoping this release fixes that issue.

On 2023.26.7 I didn't have any dry wipe incidents.

I just drove Bendigo to Mildura during dusk/night, stayed overnight and drove back the next afternoon/night for work. I do usually once a fortnight.

The auto high beam has become much worse again on dark country roads. It became quite good there for a while. On and off constantly due to signs on the road. High beam dips mostly consistently with oncoming vehicles if they come into view around a corner or on a crest, but it does not pick them up from a distance away if on a straight road. I had to often dip them manually and tried a few times to leave it to see what happens but the oncoming vehicle would flash me before the car dipped. Hopefully they get back onto this as it was good for a while there.

On the trip back it was raining the whole way. The auto wipers refused to work many times at all, with just a intermittent wipe sometimes. The rain was hard enough most of the way that I had them on full speed but every time I changed it back to auto to see what was going on they just stopped again. I took a video but unsure who or where you can send it for Tesla to look at.

Another thing that has got worse it the speed sign recognition. I reckon it would have missed about 50% of the 110kmh signs on the way up and back and defaulted to 100kmh or sometimes didn't update from the speed in the town such as 60kmh or 80kmh. Frustrating when you have a 4.5 hour drive and can't use autopilot for much of it as it will only set the max speed to the recognised street sign + the offset you have set. Had to change the offset to +10 so I could autopilot at 110 when it only showed 100kmh. Hasn't done that before on the trip, except for maybe 1 or 2 missed signs, not consistently missing every one for an hour at a time.

This curiosity popped up last night when I needed to fiddle in the service menu

IMG-1156.jpg

Looks like Ill be breaking about the manual for this.......Hope it isnt a Tesla Toolbox only thing

- lane following is smoother. The car no longer wants to stay absolutely exactly in the centre of the lane. In the past this meant it was often adjusting itself in an uncomfortable manner. Now it seems to average its position over a longer distance.

I noticed a behavior in connection with Autosteer: I now get a lane departure warning almost every time after exiting Autosteer. This is independent whether I signal to exit Autosteer, or yank the steering wheel and wait for a few seconds before setting the signal.

Also, I feel that TACC has become more responsive, but not in a good way. It reduces speed much more abrupt reacting on vehicles in adjacent lanes. I found myself interfering much more often (I have done 200+ mls highway since update). Quite annoying, at least uncomfortable, IMHO. I wish there was a setting to configure the sensitivity.

Did anybody notice these changes as well? Or am I too petty?

I noticed a behavior in connection with Autosteer: I now get a lane departure warning almost every time after exiting Autosteer. This is independent whether I signal to exit Autosteer, or yank the steering wheel and wait for a few seconds before setting the signal.

Also, I feel that TACC has become more responsive, but not in a good way. It reduces speed much more abrupt reacting on vehicles in adjacent lanes. I found myself interfering much more often (I have done 200+ mls highway since update). Quite annoying, at least uncomfortable, IMHO. I wish there was a setting to configure the sensitivity.

Haven’t had the lane departure issue. TACC behaviour has depended on day vs night and traffic density. It used to be very scared of going past a single car in the other lane during the day, otherwise it was OK. Haven’t driven enough with the current iteration to know what it is like at the moment.

The Tesla app for iOS now includes access to Apple shortcuts (a sort of no code programming thing like IFTTT) for all your automotive automation needs.
hmmm, I'm not seeing that. Maybe I need to update my IOS as well. And wait, do the shortcuts on your screenshot suggest that we can manually pre-condition the battery for charging? I didn't know that was possible, I thought you still had to do the trick of navigating towards a supercharger if you wanted to pre-condition prior to arriving at a third-party fast charger...?

As a slight aside, is there a formal way to submit software feature requests? The auto-wipers were annoying me again today in light rain and I'd love to be able to reassign left and right on the right hand steering wheel control to directly control wiper speed. In my view having this rare manual control dedicated to TACC following distance is a waste - I'm never going to fiddle with that once it's set to my liking so I'd much rather access that via the screen and reassign the steering wheel control to something more useful.

hmmm, I'm not seeing that. Maybe I need to update my IOS as well. And wait, do the shortcuts on your screenshot suggest that we can manually pre-condition the battery for charging? I didn't know that was possible, I thought you still had to do the trick of navigating towards a supercharger if you wanted to pre-condition prior to arriving at a third-party fast charger...?
Oh, sorry to reply to my own post but I've now found this on my phone and I realise that preconditioning in this context just means turning on the climate while parked (which I understand also warms the battery to an extent, but isn't what I was hoping for.)

Reactions: Hairyman

What is your following distance set too? I fine 3 or under, TACC will start to exhibit what you have described.