Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm… even at only 10k km/yr/vehicle that’s half a trillion km of driving data.
Thats global data not country or road specific data. Given autopilot has not improved from its issues and makes the same error at the same location every time I’m sceptical that they utilise much of that data. You’d think the 60 sign that is now 100 due to the road becoming a freeway several years ago would be learnt by now

And yet elon musk stated many years ago that the data was being used to improve autopilot and make it safer than a human

Yes...like my AP1 was meant to always feel like a new car and would eventually drive itself (lots of broken promises there in that it never could drop me at the front my house and park itself).

Then came along AP2, Tesla/Musk says 100% we will be FSD by years end...this was in 2017...didn't happen...then we’re told AP3 will do it (…I stupidly bought it on our late 2018 X) and now just recently told that AP3 will not achieve FSD (even though Tesla are still selling cars with AP3 and saying it will achieve FSD) and that we will require HW4…you lost me…

Not saying HW4 won't achieve FSD (hope it does), but Tesla's broken promises doesn't bode well for me....

On another note:
Just got out of a EQS something something (I’m in Shanghai at the moment) and "Oh my God.....Tesla is not even in the same ball court".....don't get me started on HiPhi, LiAuto, Xpeng, NEO....it's bat s&^t crazy here now...roads super smooth, no pollution (blue skies like Australia) and often 8 out of 10 cars are EVs...the streets are so quiet and not stinky anymore...China is changing and changing fast....

Last edited:
Yes...like my AP1 was meant to always feel like a new car and would eventually drive itself (lots of broken promises there in that it never could drop me at the front my house and park itself).

Then came along AP2, Tesla/Musk says 100% we will be FSD by years end...this was in 2017...didn't happen...then we’re told AP3 will do it (…I stupidly bought it on our late 2018 X) and now just recently told that AP3 will not achieve FSD (even though Tesla are still selling cars with AP3 and saying it will achieve FSD) and that we will require HW4…you lost me…

Not saying HW4 won't achieve FSD (hope it does), but Tesla's broken promises doesn't bode well for me....

On another note:
Just got out of a EQS something something (I’m in Shanghai at the moment) and "Oh my God.....Tesla is not even in the same ball court".....don't get me started on HiPhi, LiAuto, Xpeng, NEO....it's bat s&^t crazy here now...roads super smooth, no pollution (blue skies like Australia) and often 8 out of 10 cars are EVs...the streets are so quiet and not stinky anymore...China is changing and changing fast....
You missed the promise to never forget early adopters

I've been using the TACC most drives
I do TACC routinely but watch out for the school zones. Some are recognised but Ive discovered a few are not
Autosteer beta is better than the my VW lane keeping technology, though there are 2 sections of road which i regularly drive on which it goes pear shape (which the VW can't cope with either):

One when the road widens on the left side and the AP thinks it has to suddenly veer left
Another where the road curves to the right on a crest and it does not see the curve until it starts curving, then its a hard steering input to catch up/.

Generally whenever I activate double click AP, it does a little correction to the left because I suspect I have a habit of driving a little to the right in the lane instead of bang on in the middle of the lane.

I do TACC routinely but watch out for the school zones. Some are recognised but Ive discovered a few are not
Autosteer beta is better than the my VW lane keeping technology, though there are 2 sections of road which i regularly drive on which it goes pear shape (which the VW can't cope with either):

One when the road widens on the left side and the AP thinks it has to suddenly veer left
Another where the road curves to the right on a crest and it does not see the curve until it starts curving, then its a hard steering input to catch up/.

Generally whenever I activate double click AP, it does a little correction to the left because I suspect I have a habit of driving a little to the right in the lane instead of bang on in the middle of the lane.
An observation: most city trained drivers stay in the right side of the lane or if its a one lane road almost on the dividing line, whilst most country trained drivers tend to do the left.
I presume the courier driver that hit the rear corner of a parked car yesterday outside my place was therefore country trained…if at all.

@Zoltrix77 if your van has radar cruise control, it won't let you use cruise control without the radar. Gotta compare apples with apples.

Seriously it does. Ford Transit Custom, allows you to switch off the radar component. I know that seems hard to believe, but it does. To its credit, TA cruise does work correctly, unlike the Tesla. However, I still dislike TACC, because instead of disengaging cruise control when the car in front of you is dawdling, then checking for a safe way to pass them, you end of just dawdling along with them.

Here is a video of the function on another overseas Ford product:

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
TACC or in other cars "adaptive cruise control" just does that. No adaptive cruise control disengages when a car in front is a slow coach.

I know, that's what I am saying. The fact I have to manually slow down with the brake pedal or disengage the system makes me do something about the situation of the car in front. Adaptive cruise, TACC or whatever just encourages paying no attention, its just even worse in the Tesla because you have to deal with the phantom braking as well as not realising how slow you are driving.

Adaptive cruise, TACC or whatever just encourages paying no attention,
I tend to feel it actually encourages chilling out a bit and not treating the road so much like a racetrack.

I can also see why manufacturers, and Telsa in particular, are not keen on putting a non-traffic-aware switch in. It is essentially saying "if you detect an obstacle, plow straight into it anyway", and of course the last thing they want is a bunch more headlines about Teslas driving themselves into things.