Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to feel it actually encourages chilling out a bit and not treating the road so much like a racetrack.

I can also see why manufacturers, and Telsa in particular, are not keen on putting a non-traffic-aware switch in. It is essentially saying "if you detect an obstacle, plow straight into it anyway", and of course the last thing they want is a bunch more headlines about Teslas driving themselves into things.

Well, as always, it depends. So many driver assist technologies tend to annoy rather than help. I’ll just have a difference of opinion, I like to drive, I use cruise control more of a licence saver than a driver relaxer.

Setting the Ford to regular cruise, whilst I obviously haven’t tested it, probably doesn’t disable auto emergency braking.

Adaptive cruise, TACC or whatever just encourages paying no attention
Driver aids actually increase cognitive bandwidth and improves situational awareness. I also reduced driver fatigue IMO
Its all about how one uses it.

Its similar with the old argument (now moot) of auto vs manual transmission.

Airplane pilots have all manner of piloting aids from autopilot, autothrust, autoland, autobrakes, etc etc
These aids just extend the capability of the driver.

Reactions: Jules22
Ummm no. Automation in aviation was developed for exactly the same reason: To mitigate fatigue, assist in tedious tasks, and keep the pilots fresh to deal with contingencies and the remaining manual aspects of the flight.

They do NOT extend the capability of the pilot, they support it.

Some examples: In severe turbulence, the autopilot kicks off, manual reversion is necessary for safe operation. Autoland has some pretty strict crosswind limits, a suitably trained pilot can land an aircraft all the way to the certified crosswind limit which can be significantly higher than autoland can handle. A max crosswind landing in a 747 will have the flight deck outside the runway edge until just before main landing gear touchdown... that's fun, in the simulator. Never done it IRL...

Autobrakes is a small subsystem only, assisting the pilot in effective brake application on RTOs (rejected takeoffs) or on landings.

Reactions: Maximillan
Opposite for me. Since 32.4 when I pull the car forward from the home garage parking spot, it starts by steering left and literally misses the concrete pillar to the left by mere millimeters from the folded back mirror. No idea what brought that on. It's repeatable.

Opposite for me. Since 32.4 when I pull the car forward from the home garage parking spot, it starts by steering left and literally misses the concrete pillar to the left by mere millimeters from the folded back mirror. No idea what brought that on. It's repeatable.
If your vehicle is using Ultrasonic Sensors (USS), you might have a faulty USS. Or it may be interacting poorly with the new version of the software. You might want to test your USS system by parking directly in front of a flat wall. Does the proximity display look uniform as it should?

Here's the display from my car. You can see that I'm parked perpendicular to a flat wall. The proximity display should be symmetrical, but it's not. I have my car in service now. If the USS is repaired, I'm going to re-test my proximity display (and my car's summon-into-the-garage feature) to find if the USS was causing these features to fail. I'll try to report back.

Attachments

• Ultra Sonic Sensor Asymmetry.jpg
    Ultra Sonic Sensor Asymmetry.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 78
btw, your USS data looks like the license plate holder in the front of the vehicle might be interfering. I had that issue as well with a similar picture a couple of years ago. Moving the license plate holder by just a fraction of a cm either direction fixed it.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
When I find a park in a single lane narrow street and put on the left indicator then proceed pasta vacant spot on the left the software search and finds spots on the right side. There the cars are parked in the opposite direction! The software is too stupid to see I put on the left indicator to park on the left side. Breathtaking. Yes, can repeat this over and over again. Sometimes I like so many of us wish Elon was sitting next to me, he would spit the dummy.

32.6 installing... purportedly has improved traffic visualisations adopted from the FSD stack. A bit annoying you can't supercharge and software update at the same time... just stuck at hollydene for an extra 45 minutes because of that. Then again, could be a far, far worse place to be stuck at. What a beautiful place for a charger!

On 32.6 I seem to be able to drive hands-off on AP for longer, ~35s consistently. With older versions this was quite variable - could be up to 45s, but usually would be less than 15s, especially with having a prior hands-on warning shown on the display the timeout would become very short.

On 32.6 I seem to be able to drive hands-off on AP for longer, ~35s consistently. With older versions this was quite variable - could be up to 45s, but usually would be less than 15s, especially with having a prior hands-on warning shown on the display the timeout would become very short.

Try taking your hands of the screen and then presend your looking at your phone and generally not paying attention...I'm convinced that my 3 will prompt all the time if I am not paying attention (15s) but if I am paying attention then longer....both with no hands on the steering wheel.