Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really do not think that TACC is intended for use in the City.

What would be nice would be an additional feature which is an (overridable) speed limiter such as fitted to all European cars (and also my Renault Zoe). It could be done very easily in software but US centric people don't understand the feature and as far as I know, it is probably not fitted to US cars. Certainly I gave up lobbying for it a couple of years ago as also did the Europeans.

I have the same problem with a street near me. The speed limit changed some 4-5 years ago, but Tesla still flicks between the old limit and the new (when it sees a sign), then back to the old.
this is something I suspected about the Westconnex tunnel in inner west Sydney
it opened a few years ago but satnav took a a while to update ie it still thought I was driving above ground on those streets with their many changes of speed limit
is it possible that it still uses those limits, even though it now recognises the tunnel?

Teslas work well on freeways (autopilot/tacc) but they are not so great in urban areas and even country roads using autopilot/tacc because of a lot more moving objects which can freak out autopilot/TACC. I'm sure it's been said a million times - Autopilot/TACC is a driving aid. The human still needs to do the driving.

Teslas work well on freeways (autopilot/tacc) but they are not so great in urban areas and even country roads using autopilot/tacc because of a lot more moving objects which can freak out autopilot/TACC. I'm sure it's been said a million times - Autopilot/TACC is a driving aid. The human still needs to do the driving.
Yes it's a driving aid but the thing I don't get is why my Kia can do all the TACC things in traffic without freaking out like Tesla does.

I've never had a phantom brake on the Kia and it's software hasn't been updated ever.

Was hoping that Tesla's software would catch up over the past year but haven't noticed much improvement. Maybe they save all the smarts for FSD

Yes it's a driving aid but the thing I don't get is why my Kia can do all the TACC things in traffic without freaking out like Tesla does.

I've never had a phantom brake on the Kia and it's software hasn't been updated ever.

Was hoping that Tesla's software would catch up over the past year but haven't noticed much improvement. Maybe they save all the smarts for FSD
This wasn't the case up until around mid 2022 when Tesla decided to do away with radar in the front bumper and instead rely on the camera because neural netz. At the time there was plenty of posts on this forum about TACC being made worse, and there was even a Lex Friedman interview with a Tesla engineer about the genius of using their existing customer base to train the AI to be better than a radar equipped car. Here we are more than year later and the TACC is still not as good as it used to be.

Moving things on, has anyone had any experience with 2023.32.9?

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

What would be nice would be an additional feature which is an (overridable) speed limiter such as fitted to all European cars (and also my Renault Zoe). It could be done very easily in software but US centric people don't understand the feature and as far as I know, it is probably not fitted to US cars. Certainly I gave up lobbying for it a couple of years ago as also did the Europeans.
TACC absolutely needs to work in city streets, just like it does for every other brand that has TACC

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Yes miss that from my Mini
Had a limit button you set it to that and unless you floored it would limit speed
Probably more needed for us in Victoria the Speed Camera state..
I have the chime set to zero km over so pings a lot as honestly 55km-65km not much in a Tesla

Although in the US every FSD video I see speed limit 55mph we override that to 75mph

comparing TACC with radar cruise control available in many other vehicles is not a valid comparison. It's like saying because we have automated trains we should have automated cars. Your radar cruise control in the Mini or the KIA is a one dimensional system, like the train. It only worries about what's directly in front of you, and leaves everything else up to you. TACC is (or claims to be) aware of your entire surroundings, which it needs to be if self drive is ever going to be a thing. It's an orders of magnitude more complex system than a simple radar cruise control.

Reactions: NeilA
Tap the settings button in the navigation screen, tap the little speaker icon to mute the instructions. Refrain from drawing false analogies to your passenger having a mute button.
Yes ZD, that solves the immediate problem but the navigation system should not be that bad in the first place.

I learned my lesson about silencing co-drivers over 50 years ago.:)

it feels like my max regen braking is decelerating less than prior to 32.7. Anyone else feel that? I state feel because I currently can't measure it since the cleaners tore my CAN adapter cable a few weeks ago.
Interesting. I have felt something similar, but thought it might be because I tend to keep my battery at 100% a lot of the time.

On a related note, I have been surprised by how quickly my car reports that regen is limited when descending a hill (like the Toowoomba Range), even with plenty of space in the battery, an ambient temperature above 20C, and having driven for long enough that the battery should be warm (in one case, I had Supercharged to 80% only about 5-10 minutes earlier).

Moving things on, has anyone had any experience with 2023.32.9?
For what it’s worth, Navigate on Autopilot has improved a lot with 2023.32 update. It takes exits quite naturally, unlike the earlier jerky heart attack inducing steering. I can’t comment on phantom braking because I have experienced it only twice in 12k kms of driving.

For what it’s worth, Navigate on Autopilot has improved a lot with 2023.32 update. It takes exits quite naturally, unlike the earlier jerky heart attack inducing steering. I can’t comment on phantom braking because I have experienced it only twice in 12k kms of driving.
That's amazing. I've had plenty of phantom braking in 7k kms. I wonder if we are using the term differently? I mean, the car brakes sometimes if it is approaching a slight rise and can't see every bit of road past it. I've had it brake for uneven shadows across the road. I can override it each time with the throttle, but it's still unnerving for me and the cars behind me when it happens.

That's not counting the times when it freaks out about cars or pedestrians kind of near the direction of travel.

I can appreciate that there is less phantom braking on freeways. Where do you do most of your driving?

@Maximillan, I am still on 2023.32.7, so can't comment on .9 yet

Reactions: Maximillan
ive noticed freak outs when the road isnt "normal" looking. So starts to widen out, lines break then go back to solid, a traffic island etc. But its not all the time, sometimes has no problems. other day it decided to do 20 in a 60 zone because the road widened, then errored and turned off.

Reactions: JonDarian