Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read about a new racing series first race in April to rival F1 speeds. It is a driverless series. The teams are competing to create the best hardware (they can use lidar, radar, camera) as well as the best AI. the car will need to learn how to manage it‘s race strategy. the cars are not remote controlled. Unsure if they are ev or dinosaur powered, but the series appears to be more about creating ultra fast learning level 5 autonomy. Racing tends to be the technology that filters down to cars.

Just an unimportant update. But it seems to result in people posting in Facebook a screenshot of their 44.30 update uploading 😄
I think the update is from a USA directed recall of all AP equiped cars. The article mentions the concept of suspension of use. There are lots of sites reporting this same issue.

I don't care how unlikely it is that I'll run into this problem.

Tesla for the first time deployed software into my car that disables a feature I paid for based on their imperfect compliance monitoring.

Let that sink in.

Not quite following the logic here?

To get a single strike from what I've seen (videos of people deliberately trying to get them, don't plan on trying myself) you have to be making a very deliberate and conscious effort to ignore their compliance monitoring. To get 5 (or even 3 if it is 3) you really have to be determined to operate the vehicle in an unsafe manner.

Sure I'd love the nags to go, but that is something the regulators have to OK and I suspect the fact that people are so blatantly going to efforts to bypass the compliance monitoring is a big factor preventing this. I'm all for banning these clowns for that reason.

Reactions: moa999
My MS has no inside camera, so the only way for the car to detect whether hands are on the steering wheel is by force sensing. It's easy to run into a warning that way on a smooth motorway with the hand resting on the bottom of the wheel on a long drive. I've had to learn the habit to intentionally lightly jerk the wheel once a minute or so to tell the car I'm still here and paying attention.

Automation that trains the operator rather than the automation is problematic for a whole basket full of reasons.

My MS has no inside camera, so the only way for the car to detect whether hands are on the steering wheel is by force sensing. It's easy to run into a warning that way on a smooth motorway with the hand resting on the bottom of the wheel on a long drive. I've had to learn the habit to intentionally lightly jerk the wheel once a minute or so to tell the car I'm still here and paying attention.

Automation that trains the operator rather than the automation is problematic for a whole basket full of reasons.
Ack, that makes more sense.

Will be interesting to see how sensitive these strikes are. I hope regulators will start looking at actually improving safety and realise that these nags are really not necessary.

Definitely an element of US regulators struggling with the new tech. Reality is people do stupid things unfortunately and it can result in carnage.

With its lane keeping, dynamic cruise etc, a Tesla on AP is far safer and I'd prefer as another road user for a tired or drunk driver to be in a Tesla, but the NHTSA seems to be looking at single events and applying a higher standard rather than looking at the situation wholistically.

I don't for example see the NHTSA proposing local authorities install red light bollards at intersections that raise with the signals to prevent red light runners.

Reactions: Jules22
It's a step in the right direction, but to be honest this looks worse than I was hoping. The one feature I liked about the Atto 3 was the 360° camera, which gives you a drone-style camera view of the car (not fuzzy 3D models) from above by doing image processing magic to meld all cameras together.

That’s cool. Hasn’t helped my neighbor’s wife though, who has backed their Atto into the side of the garage door opening not once but twice 😝

• Funny
Reactions: JonDarian
Not be such a disruptive force challenging legacy auto and the fossil fuel industry?

less interest in wasting advertising dollars just to keep the media mafia onside, or wasting money on compaign contributions and lobbying to hold the world back to suit their own interests?

Last edited:
lol, unless you've been living under a rock, it's very clear that they continue to desperately campaign against Tesla and continue to be challenged by the ever growing gap in technology between Tesla and the rest...

Moderators note: The second half of this post was political in nature and off topic and has been deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

I rest my right elbow on the door window sill, then my right hand on the steering wheel gives enough weight to the torque sensor to keep AP happy without intervention.

Just read about a new racing series first race in April to rival F1 speeds. It is a driverless series. The teams are competing to create the best hardware (they can use lidar, radar, camera) as well as the best AI. the car will need to learn how to manage it‘s race strategy. the cars are not remote controlled. Unsure if they are ev or dinosaur powered, but the series appears to be more about creating ultra fast learning level 5 autonomy. Racing tends to be the technology that filters down to cars.
Sounds like RoboRace, Launched in 2015 but went bust. Their first test runs were….. problematic.

Looks like the series you’re talking about is:

Reactions: Hairyman and paulp