Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did an update a couple of days ago (30.8 I assume), drove in the rain today for the first time since the update. The autowipers are the worst they’ve ever been. It’s getting beyond a joke….
I'm on 44.30.8 also, and have to agree. I was caught in yesterday's incredibly heavy rain in Canberra, and I kept having to manually trigger the wipers to wake them up. They'd operate, then after a short varying length of time they'd decide that was enough so I'd have to trigger them again. I could have just set them on, but I was curious as to how bad they'd be on auto - and it was very bad.

I'm on 44.30.8 also, and have to agree. I was caught in yesterday's incredibly heavy rain in Canberra, and I kept having to manually trigger the wipers to wake them up. They'd operate, then after a short varying length of time they'd decide that was enough so I'd have to trigger them again. I could have just set them on, but I was curious as to how bad they'd be on auto - and it was very bad.
Was the same for me yesterday, and was driving around for a couple of hours. In fact had to initiate nearly every time and set them on may times. However this morning its like a new day, they are working very well, but having only gone 50K in intermittent showers so far, we will see how it goes.

I used the new M8 connection to the underground Rozelle spaghetti junction yesterday for the first time, and the Tesla Nav and TACC got completely and utterly confused. It was part hilarious and part scary.

The hilarious part is that the Nav had absolutely no idea where I was. The M8 tunnel from Beverly Hills to St Peters is very long, and now with the M8 extension to Rozelle, even longer, so the dead reckoning gets more and more ’off’ the further you go. But what really threw it was the Nav wanted me to take the Euston Rd exit at St Peters, which is where the M8 used to end, but I kept going straight ahead to get to Rozelle on the new section of tunnel.

Well, the Nav thought I was driving on the surface streets, which in the Inner West, are short and very close together. So I was hit with an incessant “turn left at… turn right at… turn right at… turn left at…” without any pause between the directions. It actually made me laugh out loud. It would then get so confused the Nav blue line would turn off for a bit while it tried to work out what to do next.

The scary bit was how TACC behaved. On two occasions, the Nav thought I was approaching a T-intersection on a surface street at speed. And so TACC aggressively braked. Not a temporary phantom braking due to other traffic, but serious deceleration in order for me to not slam into the phantom kerb opposite the T-intersection it thought I was approaching.

I had to turn TACC off. It was that bad. Luckily this was late on a Sunday evening and I had the tunnel to myself, so there was no chance of rear-ending, but a warning to anyone else using this piece of road until the Nav and maps get updated.

It wasn’t until I emerged on the City West Link that the Nav finally worked out where I was.
interesting. I use the new tunnels about 20 times a week or more driving Uber in the Model Y, and there are a couple of spots TACC will try and adjust from 80 to 60 (always the same spots) but I haven't experienced the aggressive braking thinking there might be a T intersection coming up once. I'm generally using TACC and Autosteer. Can you recall specifically where that was and i'll try and test it this week.

As you say, the Nav never really has any idea where the car is...

Reactions: Jules22
I haven't experienced the aggressive braking thinking there might be a T intersection coming up once. I'm generally using TACC and Autosteer. Can you recall specifically where that was and i'll try and test it this week.

It happened when I was under Newtown and then under Leichhardt. It’s probably not an easily repeatable test, since it depends on where the Nav has randomly placed/guessed your car’s position in the absence of the GPS signal. And that won’t be the same each time.

So if your Nav never had you approaching a T-intersection at speed, then presumably you won’t experience what happened to me.

It happened when I was under Newtown and then under Leichhardt. It’s probably not an easily repeatable test, since it depends on where the Nav has randomly placed/guessed your car’s position in the absence of the GPS signal. And that won’t be the same each time.

So if your Nav never had you approaching a T-intersection at speed, then presumably you won’t experience what happened to me.
I think your synopsis makes sense. Maybe best to end the nav and just use TACC/Autopliot until out of the tunnel and back into GPS range. A map update would be nice though.

Reactions: Maximillan
Did an update a couple of days ago (30.8 I assume), drove in the rain today for the first time since the update. The autowipers are the worst they’ve ever been. It’s getting beyond a joke….
I am so with you on that one. Since the last update my wipers are beyond a joke. It has been heavy rain daily here for the past week and auto wipers do during heavy rain a single wipe every 3-5 seconds, where as the rest of the time it is not possible to see through the rain. Yet when rain stops and I manually triggered the wipers once to spray some water and wipe some dust off the windscreen the wipers went full on for 5 minutes even though there was no need for more than 3 wipes. In over 4 years of Model 3 ownership my wipers have never been this bad. I would so like to roll back to a few versions ago when it was semi ok to use.

I am so with you on that one. Since the last update my wipers are beyond a joke. It has been heavy rain daily here for the past week and auto wipers do during heavy rain a single wipe every 3-5 seconds, where as the rest of the time it is not possible to see through the rain. Yet when rain stops and I manually triggered the wipers once to spray some water and wipe some dust off the windscreen the wipers went full on for 5 minutes even though there was no need for more than 3 wipes. In over 4 years of Model 3 ownership my wipers have never been this bad. I would so like to roll back to a few versions ago when it was semi ok to use.
Mine seem better on 30.8. But I have a coated windscreen. I hate it when it goes berserk.

It has been heavy rain daily here for the past week and auto wipers do during heavy rain a single wipe every 3-5 seconds
My experience today was excellent.
Drove out of garage into drizzle - wipers went into intermittent almost immediately and before I drove onto the street. Wiper speed increased and decreased according to amount of rain.
I would not say perfect - I would have preferred it to speed up a little quicker and when it slowed down it should not have gone to intermittent.

So I would give it a 7/10.